Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Android auto stopped working?

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Blue Stinger GT2 AWD
So has anyone else had this problem recently? About a week or so my android auto was working in the car. Now for the last few days when i plug my phone it wont have the android auto on the home screen and wont register as android auto. When i click media it says no media files. I just saw a youtube video where the recent google play and android auto updates from a few days ago have made some apps not work anymore. Has anyone else been having difficulty with their android auto? If youve recently updated both and its still working now can someone offer insight please?

climbbike1

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
I haven't had any problems recently but I've had problems in the past (before the Stinger). Twice it was the USB cord. Also Google is known for breaking Android auto but mine is up to date and still working.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
R
Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #3
Last week or so it was working. When i plugged it in (still same cord) my home screen would have the android auto to click on to use. Recently my phone has been updating apps. Both android auto and google play have recently been updated... And it seems no matter what i do android auto wont launch in the car. Whether i open it on my phone or not first. Whether i plug it. Bluetooth etc. It wont register it any more when plugged. I will try a different cord tomorrow. If that doesnt work i may uninstall the recent updates and see what happens then.

climbbike1

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Sometimes uninstalling, then reinstalling Android auto fixes things too

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
It's not much help but Android auto has been giving me grief as well. Sometimes it won't start, sometimes my phone gets really hot, sometimes it quits. It has always worked, though, after I unplug and plug back in or restart the phone.

To be fair I had issues in my previous Accord as well but those were clearly related to the infotainment system.

I'm running a pixel 2, it might be the phone as well?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

OP
R
Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #6
So update. From what ive heard on youtube videos.... Google play and android auto have been released updates within the last few days or the past week. If your google play is 12.9 or higher ad your android auto version is. 3.2 android auto won't work as of right now. I made the mistake of uninstalling and reinstalling so now I can't uninstall the updates as i could had I never uninstalled the android auto app. If you have both the updated versions and its giving issues try to uninstall updates in the settings>app>andriod auto/googleplay>uninstall updates. If you revert back to the old versions android auto should work when plugged in. Mine won't work or register when plugged in. So hope this helps anyone who is having issues lately. Also set your settings for each able to disable auto update. Im hoping google releases a patch to fix this soon.

ATXStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
So update. From what ive heard on youtube videos.... Google play and android auto have been released updates within the last few days or the past week. If your google play is 12.9 or higher ad your android auto version is. 3.2 android auto won't work as of right now. I made the mistake of uninstalling and reinstalling so now I can't uninstall the updates as i could had I never uninstalled the android auto app. If you have both the updated versions and its giving issues try to uninstall updates in the settings>app>andriod auto/googleplay>uninstall updates. If you revert back to the old versions android auto should work when plugged in. Mine won't work or register when plugged in. So hope this helps anyone who is having issues lately. Also set your settings for each able to disable auto update. Im hoping google releases a patch to fix this soon.
That sucks and thanks for the headsup, part of the reason why I've set my phone to not auto-update.

OP
R
Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #8
So I'm on vacation right now and away from my precious stinger but i found this article.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/...date-broke-android-auto-usb-transfer-fix-way/

Maybe anyone who may be having issues with there AA as well can test this out and update if this works or not. I will def be seeing if this works once i get back because this is the exact problem i am having. Says my phone isnt there. No usb. Or something wrong with usb etc basically it isnt reading any connectivity via usb.

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
Only problem I've had is that Waze can drop offline. After I input a route, it will work for a while (maybe an hour or more), then I get a sudden blank screen, the Waze app reboots to a generic (no route) screen. I have to go back to the Waze menu and re-enter the route and it starts working again.

OP
R
Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #10
Different people have experienced different things. I for one have just experienced android auto stop working completely on me after both google and AA updated about a week ago. And just this past week a few days ago my phone was suddenly popping up with notifications where it said error. Usb not reading. No device etc. So I for one will be testing this out to see if it fixes my issue or if the apps need to be updated with some bug patch

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
I have always found Bluetooth to be a bit flaky, not just in the car but on my laptops and cell fone. It is simply not very robust technology in my experience. Whether it is a matter of signal interruption, multiplexing distortion or whatever, it just sometimes loses connection. My problem with Waze is with a USB wired connection, so BT is out of that picture. I have posted a question on the Waze forum looking for others with similar problems. I'll report back when I hear anything.

saltee

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
Last week or so it was working. When i plugged it in (still same cord) my home screen would have the android auto to click on to use. Recently my phone has been updating apps. Both android auto and google play have recently been updated... And it seems no matter what i do android auto wont launch in the car. Whether i open it on my phone or not first. Whether i plug it. Bluetooth etc. It wont register it any more when plugged. I will try a different cord tomorrow. If that doesnt work i may uninstall the recent updates and see what happens then.
I am having the same problem, mine didnt work from the get go. did you ever find a solution???

OP
R
Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #13
See you have an issue with waze with the USB. I seem to have problems with the phone connecting and being read through USB which may actually be causing my AA issues. Im not sure

OP
R
Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #14
I am having the same problem, mine didnt work from the get go. did you ever find a solution???
Saltee no I have not at the moment. It started after my google and android auto apps updated. Maybe you could try uninstalling the updates on yours. Maybe that would help. Not sure if the dealer may need to do an update to the software if there is one. One issue I find myself having more aside from that is just that it seems as though my phone is not being. Read and registered as a device via USB when I cannot. If I can resolve that then I will let you know if that solves my problem

saltee

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
i downgraded my android auto to jan 2018 version to no avail, the android auto icon is still disabled. what a piece of crap

OP
R
Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #16
i downgraded my android auto to jan 2018 version to no avail, the android auto icon is still disabled. what a piece of crap
So am i understanding correctly. In "phone projection it wont let you "enable android auto" or what?

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Snow White KIA Stinger GT2 RWD
Randy,. I have the same issue. Exactly. I'm on a pixel xl 2 and it used to be flawless....now it just a grayed out icon on my radio. I've redownloaded android auto multiple times. No dice. I'm going to replace the usb cable next. If that doesn't fix it I'm going to call both Google and Kia to see if I can gain any insight.