Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Stinger end up like the Subaru SVX?

Reactions
State
UT
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
I remember when it came out. Wow! I had just bought a brand new 1991 Subaru Legacy Turbo! I thought a Subaru was the best car in the world. And then...

It was amazing! Such a bold step for Subaru. It got rave reviews and is still remembered fondly by journalists and enthusiasts. But it was a short production run and it was over... I just wonder if the Stingers dont start selling we will be the next SVX?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT1
I hope not, would love to see the Stinger be successful for the long haul. I do love the SVX though, remember seeing it as a kid and thinking how futuristic it looked.

Reactions
State
TN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
If the Stinger doesn't sell well once Kia stops offering incentives then yes I can see the it being a one generation car.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
I remember when it came out. Wow! I had just bought a brand new 1991 Subaru Legacy Turbo! I thought a Subaru was the best car in the world. And then...

It was amazing! Such a bold step for Subaru. It got rave reviews and is still remembered fondly by journalists and enthusiasts. But it was a short production run and it was over... I just wonder if the Stingers dont start selling we will be the next SVX?

I had that exact car (colour)! Nice memories. The Stinger is a vastly different car in terms of mainstream practicality. The SVX didn't even have a single cup holder because Subaru basically took a show car and turned it into production without bothering to think about those sorts of things.

The SVX was a sedan that looked like a hatchback; the Stinger is a hatchback that looks more like a sedan.

Bballhog

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
Kia Stinger GT2 Silky Silver Red in
I had that exact car (colour)! Nice memories. The Stinger is a vastly different car in terms of mainstream practicality. The SVX didn't even have a single cup holder because Subaru basically took a show car and turned it into production without bothering to think about those sorts of things.

The SVX was a sedan that looked like a hatchback; the Stinger is a hatchback that looks more like a sedan.
I don?t think so. It?s crazy how many people stop me still asking about the car or people while I?m driving doing double takes. No offense but that Subaru I don?t think caused this many double takes.. maybe it?s just me. But I don?t see it

OP
Triumvph
Reactions
State
UT
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Thread Starter #6
I don?t think so. It?s crazy how many people stop me still asking about the car or people while I?m driving doing double takes. No offense but that Subaru I don?t think caused this many double takes.. maybe it?s just me. But I don?t see it

Lol... it?s not a direct comparison of course. Im was just think about all of the hype the SVX generated. Actually very similar to the Stinger. The difference of course is social media. But that car definitely turned heads. Here are the sales numbers:

1992 - 5280
1993 - 3859
1994 - 1677
1995 - 1801
1996 - 1111

Started off pretty well... I sure hope KIA supports it and people buy it. How many Stingers have been sold so far?

OP
Triumvph
Reactions
State
UT
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Thread Starter #7
Looks like 5298 Stingers sold so far in 2018... "So your saying theres a chance..."[:)]

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
I don't think so. It's crazy how many people stop me still asking about the car or people while I'm driving doing double takes. No offense but that Subaru I don't think caused this many double takes.. maybe it's just me. But I don't see it

Yah, it did, and quite frankly still will if there any left around. Look at 360 degree pics of the car and you will see why.

My point is that while the Stinger is also a head-turner, it has the advantage of being a vastly more practical car that more people/households could live with. So it won't fade like the SVX that was an impractical show car designed to appeal to a tiny audience of people interested in Subaru's quirky interpretation of a GT car. The Stinger is the opposite of quirky--most reviewers are stunned that it can compete directly with the mainstream leaders in the industry.

Stingin' Away

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Dayton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT
They'll have to bring the price down if they want to continue to sell. Each model should cut $2k off the price. That's how it should've been from the get go.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Highly doubt that will happen. Heck the Stinger already surpassed the sales numbers of the SVX and its still on the first production year.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
They'll have to bring the price down if they want to continue to sell. Each model should cut $2k off the price. That's how it should've been from the get go.
No one at Kia is expecting the Stinger to be a Top3 vehicle in the stable. Kia will be happy with 25,000 a year. Look at the K900 that was just redesigned for the 2nd generation or the Cadenza that is half way though it's 2nd generation.

The Stinger isn't going anywhere. It's priced thousands less than it's competitors and will continue putting smiles on new faces for a long time to come.

OP
Triumvph
Reactions
State
UT
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Thread Starter #12
Honestly, I couldn?t agree more! With 1,980 miles on my GT2 AWD I?ve loved every minute of owning mine. Just thought it was a fun topic to kick around.

Stingin' Away

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Dayton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT
No one at Kia is expecting the Stinger to be a Top3 vehicle in the stable. Kia will be happy with 25,000 a year. Look at the K900 that was just redesigned for the 2nd generation or the Cadenza that is half way though it's 2nd generation.

The Stinger isn't going anywhere. It's priced thousands less than it's competitors and will continue putting smiles on new faces for a long time to come.
But they still want them to sell. With the G70 coming out and it being priced maybe $2-3k more, the justification for the Stinger is hard to comprehend. Plus the complimentary services that come with Genesis. If someone is shopping and looking at the Stinger, it's inevitable for them to look at the G70. I don't think you can argue that the Stinger is a bit over priced but that's my stance on it.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
But they still want them to sell. With the G70 coming out and it being priced maybe $2-3k more, the justification for the Stinger is hard to comprehend. Plus the complimentary services that come with Genesis. If someone is shopping and looking at the Stinger, it's inevitable for them to look at the G70. I don't think you can argue that the Stinger is a bit over priced but that's my stance on it.
When it comes to pricing, I don't see it over priced at all actually. I see much of the competition priced quite a bit higher. Kia doesn't want to be the cheapest vehicle available. They want to be a VALUE leader in each of their segments. Value is making the product worth more than the price.

When it comes to competition, sure there are going to be other cars to consider. You can buy a Mustang cheaper. A Camaro. Shoot, even a Civic Type-R is cheaper. BUT, how many of these cars are being GUSHED about by every major (and MINOR for that matter) auto publication and columnist out there? Will the G70 be a great car??? Sure it will! Will it be within $2,000 of the Stinger? No one knows. Pricing hasn't been released yet here in the States. Here's what we DO know; it's smaller than the Stinger. It's focused in a different direction than the Stinger. It will undoubtedly ride different, feel different, and clearly look different. Why? Because they're two different cars, that's why.

Now, if someone wants to go buy a car that's not a Stinger because they don't want a KIA.... Stinger? More power to them. They should buy what they love, not what every press article in the world says they should do. LOL

For BOTH of us, we're a little biased... I've owned Kia's products for a decade and a half. I'll be buying a Stinger. For you, being a 2015 Genesis owner already, I think that you've been enjoying your time here just buying time waiting for your G70 to hit the streets! Best part is... you're going to LOVE it! Congratulations in advance!

-Murlinator

Stingin' Away

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Dayton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT
When it comes to pricing, I don't see it over priced at all actually. I see much of the competition priced quite a bit higher. Kia doesn't want to be the cheapest vehicle available. They want to be a VALUE leader in each of their segments. Value is making the product worth more than the price.

When it comes to competition, sure there are going to be other cars to consider. You can buy a Mustang cheaper. A Camaro. Shoot, even a Civic Type-R is cheaper. BUT, how many of these cars are being GUSHED about by every major (and MINOR for that matter) auto publication and columnist out there? Will the G70 be a great car??? Sure it will! Will it be within $2,000 of the Stinger? No one knows. Pricing hasn't been released yet here in the States. Here's what we DO know; it's smaller than the Stinger. It's focused in a different direction than the Stinger. It will undoubtedly ride different, feel different, and clearly look different. Why? Because they're two different cars, that's why.

Now, if someone wants to go buy a car that's not a Stinger because they don't want a KIA.... Stinger? More power to them. They should buy what they love, not what every press article in the world says they should do. LOL

For BOTH of us, we're a little biased... I've owned Kia's products for a decade and a half. I'll be buying a Stinger. For you, being a 2015 Genesis owner already, I think that you've been enjoying your time here just buying time waiting for your G70 to hit the streets! Best part is... you're going to LOVE it! Congratulations in advance!

-Murlinator
As a Kia car salesman, I can see your initial statement. What the public does is enable car manufacturer's to inflate the prices of their cars. Why? Because we continue to buy cars. That's inevitable.

As for the pricing, we are only basing our pricing on exactly that; the competition. Your car comparison isn't the competition minus the Civic Type R. Even that is a stretch to say it is competition. The publicity is great. NO ONE, and I mean no one, expected the Stinger to be this good. That is why there is such praise over it and enabled Kia to jack the price up. When you shine a light on a car company that has previously been horrendous when it comes to building cars people want to buy, people are is shock when they do. Merc, BMW, all of the luxury and sport-oriented cars have a base around them. The Chevy SS; a perfect example of a car that has been produced by Chevrolet before but didn't get the praise it deserved. Why you ask? Because it's Chevrolet; they have established a basis for their cars. When I say deserved, look at how well they are holding value. Look at the columns and read what journalists have to say about the car that was discontinued. We are all heart-broken.

I only say over-priced because you can lease other $50k cars for half of what the Stinger is going for. I know a genleman that leased a GT2, he's up around $750/mo. Even on this site there are people who are paying that? HOW? People are leasing G80 Ultimates for under $400/mo. Residuals, miles, etc. affect the pricing but that's absurd for a new car from Kia.

I'm not arguing with you, I enjoy your reasoning. Kia wants to sell in decent numbers for the Stinger. Because of that, they are able to use pricing as a guideline to how well they want to sell them.
- Jack up the price equals lowering sales goals.
- Lowering the price equals higher sales expectations and heightens the volume.

In business, you either need value for money or extraordinary work. Like you said, were both biased, but the key is having objective views and that's the truth.