Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Grinding sound with turning, 3.3 GT

Reactions
State
WI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT
The saga continues with weird noises. Recently I noticed a progressive harsh/grinding sound when making tight turns at slow speeds. I have just over 1000 miles. I was hoping it was just the tire tread on a rough asphalt surface but I?ve continued to notice the sound on multiple pavement types. More noticeable with hard left turns compared to right. Steering also seems a little sloppy at slow speeds and drifting subtly left on the highway.

Of note, I?m also still working with my dealership to figure out a weird vibration that occurs when releasing the brake after highway driving. They have already replaced the center muffler without any improvement. Thoughts??

Reactions
State
NE
Country
United States
The saga continues with weird noises. Recently I noticed a progressive harsh/grinding sound when making tight turns at slow speeds. I have just over 1000 miles. I was hoping it was just the tire tread on a rough asphalt surface but I've continued to notice the sound on multiple pavement types. More noticeable with hard left turns compared to right. Steering also seems a little sloppy at slow speeds and drifting subtly left on the highway.

Of note, I'm also still working with my dealership to figure out a weird vibration that occurs when releasing the brake after highway driving. They have already replaced the center muffler without any improvement. Thoughts??
Have you tried disabling ESC on these turns to see if it's the ESC that's causing it?

OP
R
Reactions
State
WI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT
Thread Starter #3
I haven?t though I considered it. Is there a quick way to reset the ecu without having to disconnect the battery? The trunk location below the spare is annoying.

Reactions
State
NE
Country
United States
I haven't though I considered it. Is there a quick way to reset the ecu without having to disconnect the battery? The trunk location below the spare is annoying.
Going to the battery is going to be the easiest.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
The sound when turning seem like a tire rubbing or touching against some suspension component. You did say on a previous thread that you had installed lowering springs, start checking there make sure the springs were installed correctly. That could also solve your second issue with the braking.

OP
R
Reactions
State
WI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT
Thread Starter #6
Thanks for the post. I did have mud guards applied but no other new suspension components. Does anyone else notice significant road/tire noise when making sharp turns to park?

Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
Thanks for the post. I did have mud guards applied but no other new suspension components. Does anyone else notice significant road/tire noise when making sharp turns to park?
Not mine but I have a 2.0.

OP
R
Reactions
State
WI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT
Thread Starter #8
The sound when turning seem like a tire rubbing or touching against some suspension component. You did say on a previous thread that you had installed lowering springs, start checking there make sure the springs were installed correctly. That could also solve your second issue with the braking.
Yeah, I agree. As I was pulling into my driveway, I could replicate the sound at even a crawl. So there is no way this is just tire tread on pavement.

Estrong55

Reactions
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
I notice the same grinding noise on my gt2. I was going to adjust tire pressure to see if that has any effect? I agree, it?s strange. Mine has done it since I?ve driven it off the lot and mine is completely stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
R
Reactions
State
WI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT
Thread Starter #10
I notice the same grinding noise on my gt2. I was going to adjust tire pressure to see if that has any effect? I agree, it's strange. Mine has done it since I've driven it off the lot and mine is completely stock.

I have a service appointment next week to look into it. I?ll keep you posted with what they find/say.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
I have a service appointment next week to look into it. I?ll keep you posted with what they find/say.
[MENTION=675]Royalstorm[/MENTION], I'm assuming that you have an AWD. As do you [MENTION=967]Estrong55[/MENTION]?

There's a really good chance that what you're hearing is simply the AWD system. ANY vehicle with full time AWD will cause slight binding between the front and rear end on hard cornering at slow speeds.

OP
R
Reactions
State
WI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT
Thread Starter #12
[MENTION=675]Royalstorm[/MENTION], I'm assuming that you have an AWD. As do you [MENTION=967]Estrong55[/MENTION]?

There's a really good chance that what you're hearing is simply the AWD system. ANY vehicle with full time AWD will cause slight binding between the front and rear end on hard cornering at slow speeds.
Thanks for the comment. Yes, mine is AWD. Though the sound I?m hearing is when making very slow sharp turns, as in parking. So it seems less likely to be from AWD system, no?

Estrong55

Reactions
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD

Yes mine is awd .. I thought about that too. Makes sense to me.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Thanks for the comment. Yes, mine is AWD. Though the sound I?m hearing is when making very slow sharp turns, as in parking. So it seems less likely to be from AWD system, no?
That's actually when it's MOST likely to happen is at slow speeds. Being in the car business, anytime I need to test an AWD/4x4 system for functionality, that is how I test it. If you take a system and lock in the four wheel drive, turn the steering wheel most of the way, and drive slowly as if parking the car or in a circle you will almost always hear the bind between the drive axles due to the difference in the steering arc of the front tires.

edyan702

Reactions
State
NV
Country
United States
I just bought a 2018 4cyl Base RWD model and am experiencing the same issue. The vehicle has 3000K miles on it and makes a grinding noise and feel in the steering wheel while turning left also. Note both the noise and grinding is subtle but definitely different sound when turning right.

At first the tech stated he couldn't hear/feel the difference, but I insisted for a second opinion. Tech Supervisor, acknowledged the difference in noise and feel:

08/11/18 - parts ordered: 86512-j5000 (bracket-FR bump)
08/18/18 - parts installed Problem remains
08/20/18 - parts ordered: ball bearing joint
08/23/18 - parts installed:problem remains, specialty service was needed to diagnosis the issue.
08/27/18 - parts ordered: Complete HUB
09/04/18 - parts installed:problem remains, district manager called to overlook issue
09/07/18 - email response from service rep. "After replacement of both front hubs/bearings and re-inspection from our Kia Field Technician and from our Kia District Manager, Kia has compared the drivability and noise to another like-model, brand new stinger and found the noise and drivability to be the same as brand new stinger. The word has come down from Kia Motors America that the vehicle is operating as designed and they have not authorized me to do any other repairs at this time, as vehicle is operating as designed. I will have the vehicle washed and ready for pick up in roughly 1 hour if you'd like to come retrieve the vehicle. I apologize for the inconvenience with all of this and appreciate your patience through the process. Also I'd like to note that I have another like model stinger on the property, if you'd like to road test the vehicle and compare drive ability."

... not happy with the outcome.

In the end, I was excited about my new first KIA, but now left with uncertainty and worries about the build quality and longevity of the Stinger. Also just researched a major issue with the poor paint quality and how the paint chips very easily. SMH

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
I just bought a 2018 4cyl Base RWD model and am experiencing the same issue. The vehicle has 3000K miles on it and makes a grinding noise and feel in the steering wheel while turning left also. Note both the noise and grinding is subtle but definitely different sound when turning right.

At first the tech stated he couldn't hear/feel the difference, but I insisted for a second opinion. Tech Supervisor, acknowledged the difference in noise and feel:

08/11/18 - parts ordered: 86512-j5000 (bracket-FR bump)
08/18/18 - parts installed Problem remains
08/20/18 - parts ordered: ball bearing joint
08/23/18 - parts installed:problem remains, specialty service was needed to diagnosis the issue.
08/27/18 - parts ordered: Complete HUB
09/04/18 - parts installed:problem remains, district manager called to overlook issue
09/07/18 - email response from service rep. "After replacement of both front hubs/bearings and re-inspection from our Kia Field Technician and from our Kia District Manager, Kia has compared the drivability and noise to another like-model, brand new stinger and found the noise and drivability to be the same as brand new stinger. The word has come down from Kia Motors America that the vehicle is operating as designed and they have not authorized me to do any other repairs at this time, as vehicle is operating as designed. I will have the vehicle washed and ready for pick up in roughly 1 hour if you'd like to come retrieve the vehicle. I apologize for the inconvenience with all of this and appreciate your patience through the process. Also I'd like to note that I have another like model stinger on the property, if you'd like to road test the vehicle and compare drive ability."

... not happy with the outcome.

In the end, I was excited about my new first KIA, but now left with uncertainty and worries about the build quality and longevity of the Stinger. Also just researched a major issue with the poor paint quality and how the paint chips very easily. SMH
Hey [MENTION=1541]edyan702[/MENTION], welcome to the forum! Glad to have you.

My word to you is this; don't be uncertain. There is tons of research that's been done by very reputable companies that show that the reliability and quality of Kia's vehicles exceed most other companies today. Also remember that you have chosen a company that is putting their money where their mouth is and covering your parts for 60,000 miles or 5 years. That's 40% longer than all other mass market manufacturers.

In the end, NO ONE makes a perfect car. Yesterday Toyota recalled 1,000,000 hybrids because of risk of catching fire. Wednesday Ford recalled the F-150 because of risk of fire. There are STILL 8,500,000 cars under recall because of air bags that may kill the occupants in an accident.

It makes a noisy drive train or some questionable yellow paint look somewhat minor.

It also does seem to me that they have made very directed efforts to try replacing some possible issues for free with satisfying the guest in mind.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger gt1 ceramic grey
Oh man im glad i stumbled on this post. Ive been hearing the same sound and thought it might be road noise or something but its happening too often. And mines is rwd gt1 with only 2700k miles. Too bad they can't figure out what it is with your car and i don't even know if i should mention it to the dealership and wait till someone here gets it fixed so i can better explain it to dealership. Its hard to replicate it when you go to the dealership.

edyan702

Reactions
State
NV
Country
United States
Update :

After all said and done, after test driving various Stingers from based, GT, RWD to AWD. The bottom line, all the Stingers have that grinding noise. With the low profile tires and the fact that KIA wanted to attract "driver enthusiast" they chose to design the cabin and feel to embrace the "feel" of the road - hence the noise.

I have to say Towbin KIA was patient with me during this process and did their best to reassure my purchase. The repair that was made to the Stinger is because there was a visual damage to the driver side front wheel, caused by a someone who was test driving the vehicle prior. BTW I wasn't informed that my USED Stinger was the dealerships DEMO car ... I mentioned this to the GM and he made it right by me.

To reduce the noise, I actually installed sound dampening material through out the inner front fenders and doors - it definitely helps reduce the noise but not completely. FYI on 2.0L models the difference of noise from the left and right is more apparent.

Reason 1: 2.0L has a open void (driver side) inside the engine bay where the intake for turbo on the 3.3 V6 would sit.
Reason 2: The driver front fender is empty, compared to the passenger side where the wind shield fluid container is mounted.

20180930_202201.jpg

20180930_232034.jpg

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
I wonder if it could be the tires making this noise. I have a GT2 AWD and have not had any issues with noise that I've noticed. I you could get the car on a lift and put a jack under the tire to keep it at operating height and try turning it to see if the tire actually rubs something that seems like it would be the best test.

Strtaylor

Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT2
That's actually when it's MOST likely to happen is at slow speeds. Being in the car business, anytime I need to test an AWD/4x4 system for functionality, that is how I test it. If you take a system and lock in the four wheel drive, turn the steering wheel most of the way, and drive slowly as if parking the car or in a circle you will almost always hear the bind between the drive axles due to the difference in the steering arc of the front tires.

I can second this. It is most prevalent with the bigger 4x4 trucks but same concept for an AWD car. Super slow speed turn in 4x4 or Awd can cause binding and some slight noise. Wont be as noticeable on the cars but if you test it out on a truck you can feel it almost "clunking" when on dry pavement. Its an extreme feeling of "something is wrong" but the only thing wrong is that you are using 4x4 on dry pavement. But keep us posted if it gets worse!