Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Grinding sound with turning, 3.3 GT

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT2 AWD
LOL You should feel my modified '03 Evo scrabble on pavement when I turn it sharp and move slowly. You don't have to hear it, you can feel it.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Since installing aftermarket mid-pipes (secondary cat deletes from SSR Performance) I began experiencing a grinding sound while turning. A metal on metal sound. Most noticeable on left turns and seemed to originate from the drivers side. It would usually occur on the first turn or two after start up and then disappear. My AWD 3.3tt was completely quiet prior.

So I took a closer look under the car and noticed that the heat shielding in the tunnel above the driver side pipe was very close to striking the pipe. I was able to loosen and adjust the midpipe to move it down and give it some more clearance. I also used my hands to press the heat shielding up and away from the pipe. It?s very flexible material so bends easily under pressure.

Since doing this I?ve had no noise while turning.

Has anyone who is experiencing this issue on a stock car had the dealer inspect the clearance around the stock midpipes? I could easily see the pipe and heat shielding expanding when warming, causing the grinding. When I removed the stock pipes they were quite tight to the heat shielding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dazzabozza

Reactions
State
WA
Country
Australia
What I Drive
MY18 GT Stinger
Since installing aftermarket mid-pipes (secondary cat deletes from SSR Performance) I began experiencing a grinding sound while turning. A metal on metal sound. Most noticeable on left turns and seemed to originate from the drivers side. It would usually occur on the first turn or two after start up and then disappear. My AWD 3.3tt was completely quiet prior.

So I took a closer look under the car and noticed that the heat shielding in the tunnel above the driver side pipe was very close to striking the pipe. I was able to loosen and adjust the midpipe to move it down and give it some more clearance. I also used my hands to press the heat shielding up and away from the pipe. It�s very flexible material so bends easily under pressure.

Since doing this I�ve had no noise while turning.

Has anyone who is experiencing this issue on a stock car had the dealer inspect the clearance around the stock midpipes? I could easily see the pipe and heat shielding expanding when warming, causing the grinding. When I removed the stock pipes they were quite tight to the heat shielding.

Just curious about the relationship between grinding when turning and the midpipe shielding. Does this mean that something rotating like the wheel is coming in contact with the exhaust? Or is more related to the exhaust shifting/moving when turning?

I have a RWD GT 3.3 Aussie model and notice a sound/vibration/possible grinding mainly when navigating around car parks or T-junctions etc when turning after being stationary.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
No, nothing should be contacting/rubbing other than the exhaust piping on the heat shielding as it expands or shifts with the chassis.

dazzabozza

Reactions
State
WA
Country
Australia
What I Drive
MY18 GT Stinger

Jeang

Reactions
City
Montreal
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2022 Kia Stinger
I’m located in Canada and I have the same noise. It started at 6-months and 3000 km. There was no weird sound when I got the car. It started a week after I put my winter tires. When I put back my new summer tires, the sound was still there. Here is how I can reproduce it.

1-put the car on D and keep the car stopped.
2-Turn the wheels to make a turn (worst if you turn the wheels to the max).
3-I press the gaz pedal to go at parking speed (5-15 km/h)
4-A rubbing sound is easy to ear.
This is happening going to left or right and it’s getting worst from the beginning, last october. My car is now at 9000km.

I’ve got a lot of explanations like the thread of the tires and this is normal from the dealership, but it has nothing to do with the thread as I mentioned earlier.

I had a 2018 Stinger 3.3 awd during 4 years and it never did that sound. We have 2 awd vehicles and they don’t have that sound. It looks like a differential problem. I saw a service in Australia about this, requesting to change the vicosity of the oil, but it is for RWD cars only. All of the dealerships I talked to said there’s nothing wrong, but this sound is very annoying and it looks like something will come apart one day, like a wheel…