Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Rattle/flap from the roof/driver's door area

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United States
Hi all,

I don't seem to have the trunk rattle, and I already took care of the sunroof creak/squeak situation weeks ago (which went nuts after rinsing my car with deionized water)!
But what I do have is a sort of rattle right near my head, to the left, at speeds around 40-50 MPH. My best guess is that it's the trim piece that runs the length of the roof of the car, I guess over the rain gutter or whatever there?
I can tap it with my fingers in that area, and it has a very flat, dead "plat plat plat" sound in some spots, like it's very flexible and is hitting the metal underneath.

My theory is that at speed, airflow is causing it to vibrate, and it's missing some padding or too close to the roof or whatever...and it's basically flapping and creating a rattle inside.

Anybody else experience this? Is there an easy fix? I realize you can take a new car to the dealer and have rattles taken care of, but I'd like to know if I'm on the right track, if there's an easy fix for this, etc.

Like I said, about my sunroof, I knew exactly what was causing it and that putting a little tube lube around the seal would fix it. --And I've seen someone say the dealer told them they'd need to remove their headliner and sunroof and they'd be without the car for weeks. No thanks. That's a 1 minute fix.

Thoughts?

Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
Mine also feels a little loose when I press down on it but it doesn't make any rattle noise when I drive. Maybe add some felt underneath it?

Reactions
State
TN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
No noise here either.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Hi all,

I don't seem to have the trunk rattle, and I already took care of the sunroof creak/squeak situation weeks ago (which went nuts after rinsing my car with deionized water)!
But what I do have is a sort of rattle right near my head, to the left, at speeds around 40-50 MPH. My best guess is that it's the trim piece that runs the length of the roof of the car, I guess over the rain gutter or whatever there?
I can tap it with my fingers in that area, and it has a very flat, dead "plat plat plat" sound in some spots, like it's very flexible and is hitting the metal underneath.

My theory is that at speed, airflow is causing it to vibrate, and it's missing some padding or too close to the roof or whatever...and it's basically flapping and creating a rattle inside.

Anybody else experience this? Is there an easy fix? I realize you can take a new car to the dealer and have rattles taken care of, but I'd like to know if I'm on the right track, if there's an easy fix for this, etc.

Like I said, about my sunroof, I knew exactly what was causing it and that putting a little tube lube around the seal would fix it. --And I've seen someone say the dealer told them they'd need to remove their headliner and sunroof and they'd be without the car for weeks. No thanks. That's a 1 minute fix.

Thoughts?
Is there a link to a thread for the sunroof fix, or could you provide some quick details here?

Only rattles I have so far is the passenger seat belt flopping against the B-pillar when no one is using it (same annoyance that at least 50% of all cars have), and the passenger seat itself has some rattle that I think is associated with the headrest, but haven't isolated and cured it yet.

OP
D
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United States
Thread Starter #5
The sunroof creak thread is on the other forum, so not sure what the rules are for cross-linking. I can send you a link via PM if there are PMs here? But basically, it's not just a Kia or Stinger thing, but I suspect a few people have never had a sunroof (or at least a brand new one) before, because it's the kind of squeak that goes away as the rubber is a little less factory new. --The seal around the glass is rubber on rubber, and if you have the shade open, you can hear it squeaking as the car bumps and flexes. You can also push up on the front of the sunroof from the inside and hear it squeaking. I knew what it was and just applied some tube lube that I use on my pool O-rings, and it went away completely. --But since I was searching online for any other mentions of my roof rattle, I came across that thread and saw that people had discovered the same fix, though seriously one person's dealership did say they were going to have to take the car for a week and dismantle it. --when they could basically put Carmex on the sunroof's lips and fix it.

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
I've only experienced noise around my b-pillar.

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT1
Hi all,

Thoughts?
I have the same issue with my GT1, I know its wind-induced because I can be going into the wind at 40mph and with the wind at 80mph and still have the same plastic flapping sound. Trying to schedule a time to get it looked at before I go on a 600 mile road trip!