Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

RaceChip + Novice Driver = 12.9 @ 111

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger / 2017 Camaro SS
B79272CF-E65F-4D9B-905C-AE29EACBB7AD.jpg

In my defense, this track wasn't in the greatest shape.. no way to avoid the water trap.

My issue was that with the RaceChip, launch control is rendered ineffective because the car simply has too much power. It kept breaking loose at 4K RPM in 1st. The 60 ft time tells the story.

I'm convinced that I could have been mid 12s with effective driving. I only had time to run three times so not a lot of opportunity to try different techniques and/or settings.

My apologies to RaceChip, as I don't believe that I did your product justice.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Still impressive being in the 12?s. Any video by chance?

Reactions
State
KS
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 Micro Blue
What map were you in?

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Kia Stinger GT
Get some racing radials for the next race.[raceflag]

Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
Very nice, are you RWD or AWD?

ATXStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Little River's track is not all the great. The one down in San Antonio is much better and you can get a lot of more runs in. Either way still a great run getting in the 12's. Did you end up getting a new helmet?

OP
ihatecats78
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #7
What map were you in?
I was in race mode.. I plan on running the sport map the next time around to see if I can keep from breaking loose. The trap speed won?t be as high, but as I understand it, lower 60 ft times mean a lot. Every time I ran was well over 2 seconds.

I?m embarrassed to admit it, but the first run, I let off too early because I thought the boards were the finish line. I ran a 13.1 @ 93 mph lol.

OP
ihatecats78
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #8
Little River's track is not all the great. The one down in San Antonio is much better and you can get a lot of more runs in. Either way still a great run getting in the 12's. Did you end up getting a new helmet?
Not a lot of experience at the track, but I?ve seen a million YouTube videos of runs and not many that were as ghetto as little river. Make no mistake, I had a blast, but i would think that tracks would be easier to launch on than the street. That wasn?t the case here.

And no, I didn?t buy a new helmet. I brought a full face motorcycle helmet that I had and nobody said anything. They also have loaner helmets there if you leave your ID.

OP
ihatecats78
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #9

VegasStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
NV
Country
United States
What cars did you run against?

OP
ihatecats78
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #11
Still impressive being in the 12's. Any video by chance?
Best run of the night (this is the posted time slip), but my wife is just as new to filming races as I am to running them. She stopped it too soon : (

[video=youtube_share;VCPNpWcD8AE]https://youtu.be/VCPNpWcD8AE[/video]

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
Damn that thing launched hard.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
View attachment 851

In my defense, this track wasn't in the greatest shape.. no way to avoid the water trap.

My issue was that with the RaceChip, launch control is rendered ineffective because the car simply has too much power. It kept breaking loose at 4K RPM in 1st. The 60 ft time tells the story.

I'm convinced that I could have been mid 12s with effective driving. I only had time to run three times so not a lot of opportunity to try different techniques and/or settings.

My apologies to RaceChip, as I don't believe that I did your product justice.
Nice time.

OP
ihatecats78
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #14
What cars did you run against?
I ran against whatever was in the video (some sort of SUV), a heavily modded mustang, and a Ford Fusion Sport with a flash tune. Got killed by the mustang.. he ran 11 something. It was pretty close with the fusion, but he was getting killer launches with AWD and ended up edging me out. He ran a 12.8 @ 108 and on that run I think I posted 12.99 @ 111.

My trap was consistently 111 all three runs.

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT2 AWD
More meat on the rear tires, my friend - and stickier tires! Congrats for going out, facing it, and (I'm certain) having a GREAT time doing it!

OP
ihatecats78
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #16
More meat on the rear tires, my friend - and stickier tires! Congrats for going out, facing it, and (I'm certain) having a GREAT time doing it!
I really had a blast. I?m a competent driver in general, so I was surprised how much adrenaline running at the track produced. I can?t wait to go back and shave a few tenths.

SeoulStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi A6
12.9 isn't too shabby for the first time.[like]

ATXStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Not a lot of experience at the track, but I?ve seen a million YouTube videos of runs and not many that were as ghetto as little river. Make no mistake, I had a blast, but i would think that tracks would be easier to launch on than the street. That wasn?t the case here.

And no, I didn?t buy a new helmet. I brought a full face motorcycle helmet that I had and nobody said anything. They also have loaner helmets there if you leave your ID.
Yeah it was the same when I went out there. They were really relaxed on the rules.

OP
ihatecats78
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #19
12.9 isn't too shabby for the first time.[like]
Thanks.. As I understand it, the rule of thumb is that whatever gets shaved off of a 60 ft time translates to double that reduction in ET. In my case, I ran 12.9 with a 2.26 60 ft. If I could get that 60 ft below 2 seconds (I've seen that on several slips on this board), I should theoretically shave off about a half of a second.

I don't know much, but I can say that this car feels far faster than a near 13 second car.

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT2 AWD
I really had a blast. I?m a competent driver in general, so I was surprised how much adrenaline running at the track produced. I can?t wait to go back and shave a few tenths.
Now go find an autocross group nearby!