Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

First Ax impressions

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT2
Did my first auto cross with Porsche Club today. Here are my initial impressions of the car. Course had variety of features from slow technical to fast slaloms and straights. My car GT2 RWD - bone stock.

I struggled finding right setting for the car. Sport mode obviously but alternated between disabling traction control to both stability and traction off. First off this car turns very well! It's amazing in turns for a 4000 lb car! Slaloms are fast too.

I had a tough time with car staying in gear I wanted. Went manual but car seem to shift into next gear and shifts were painfully slow when I triggered them. Big lag before up shift to 2nd gear. Traction control and stability off led to slower runs with me drifting half way down straights - most fun though! I had a major 360 spin out of a fast turn. It was crazy! Got standing ovation from course workers. I could also drift at will and car is easy to put into sustained drift.

I think I my favorite setting was traction control off but stability on. Allowed car to rotate but stopped car from getting too far out of shape. It still limited wheel spin a little too much cutting power if car lost traction out of turns. But that was faster than tires lighting up all the way down a straight. I had hard time modulating power in tighter sections . Stinger works much better in nice wide open spaces - more technical sections it gets hard to manage - at least hard to manage if you want to go fast.

For a big sedan I set respectable times beating several Porsche's. Time was about equal with Subaru WRX that showed up.

Think my biggest complaint is vague shifts when car is actively under stability control and overall heft of this car. On more open course with big slaloms this car will rock. Tighter technical courses make it pretty tough. Oh yeah tough to grab paddles when you are anything but straight forward. Had some sections where I wanted to down shift but tough to grab paddle. If I where to ax or track this car I'd invest if paddle extensions. For big show room stock car it performed better than I'd expect in handling department and worse than expected in power delivery. I thought I would be going slow in turns and making time up in straits with power. Was actually opposite - I was attacking turns and slaloms but not able to get power down as well as I thought I would. Driving more like a sports car than a big heavy sedan. Car at limit is tail happy which makes it fun too.

Also have to mention braking system. It does some really interesting stuff. Abs and stability control don't allow you to over brake. I was loving that as I could go into turns without modulating brakes and just stomp going into braking zone. Could leave my foot into brake and as I turned system let up off brakes to allow car to run turn at perfect speed. Sort of like system modulated trail braking. Also found at some turn exits for real sharp turns I could brake and car holds slight amount of oversteer. The fastest of street tire cars were not too far ahead of me. Maybe 3 to 4 seconds for very well driven Porsche GT3 and GT4 Caymans. With more time behind wheel, proper alignment and some better tires I could have taken a couple seconds off my time.

I did have fun hearing people say that's a pretty Jag, that's a pretty Maserati. Nice Lexus .

Last edited:
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT1
What class did the put the Stinger in?

VegasStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
NV
Country
United States
Nice! I would love to have seen some video of you drifting on the course.

OP
CaliSting
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT2
Thread Starter #4
What class did the put the Stinger in?
I ran fun at Porsche ax. They don't have classes for non Porsche's. Not sure what class it will run yet in SCCA. However I'm likely not going to ax the car again.

Last edited:
OP
CaliSting
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT2
Thread Starter #5

...was working it! Lol! Can see soft suspension really working hard to keep up with me. Love rear squat and drift.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
18 GT2
FYI, I submitted a request to the SCCA Solo Committee asking them to class the GT. It has not been classed yet, so it technically has to run in SS, but will likely be in FS given its technical characteristics, so I am going to run it in that at an event I'm signed up for on July 7.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Awesome bud. Good luck!

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Excellent!!...Let us know your impressions

sschmuve

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United States
Thanks for the read. Nice write up.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions
City
Amarillo
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT1
I agree great write-up

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
That was a great write up, pictures to. I know you already know this but change out those sway bars an install subframe chassis collars and ultra racing chassis bracing under the car an it will be planted around corners. That's what I'm did with mine, my chassis bracing will be here next week.

God job on the AX course..... (y)

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Nice write up. Hopefully I can save the money to go out to the track sometime soon

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
You should come on down to SoCal and run Willow Springs raceway. Big fast track. Streets of Willow was real fun in my Mustang, very technical.

Reactions
City
Beavercreek
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
"system modulated trail braking"
I love it!

Great write up!