Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Fuel pump failure

MarkF

Reactions
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger Premium
1225 miles and fuel pump is shot. Anyone else have this problem? Started acting up 3 days ago. Troublelight on today. Just got word it?ll be there for 5 days waiting for new pump to arrive. UGH!! Stinger Premium with 2.0, AWD

Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
Are you completely stock?

Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
No problems here, keep us posted if they offer any explanation.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
2.0 owner here as well with zero problems. Hopefully this is just an isolated incident.

OP
M

MarkF

Reactions
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger Premium
Thread Starter #5
Unmolested. Dealership ?thinks? they know. They were on the line all day with Kia Dealer Service Hotline. Sounds like it?s an educated guess. I?ll update when I get it back on Wednesday (I hope).

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT1
Odd the fuel pump went out so soon, but yeah keep us posted if you find anything.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Singapore
Usually happens if there is fuel contamination which caused the fuel filter to clog. The fuel pump may die shortly after. In any case it will be apparent when they swap out your pump, best to remind them to put in a new fuel filter as well.

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
2.0 owner as well I had the same issue mine has been replaced

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger
What were the symptons that you guys got before the pump died?

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What were the symptons that you guys got before the pump died?

the car was hesitating to go when the gas pedal was being pushed... but eventually go away.. then when you turn it on again.. it was doing it again

Reactions
State
KY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Premium
They replaced mine too, I had originally made an appointment to have them check the plugs because of hesitations.

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
I also had to get a replacement, the dealership had it for 12 days ! Not sure why it took so long? Seems to be fine now.
Has everyone else had more issues after getting this fixed?

Reactions
State
KY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Premium
I also had to get a replacement, the dealership had it for 12 days ! Not sure why it took so long? Seems to be fine now.
Has everyone else had more issues after getting this fixed?
So far so good, I've put on about 500 miles since then.

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
I?ve put 4,000 miles since and I?m good

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
This is something that, when research is done, is becoming more and more prevalent in today's auto market. Mfgr's are/have moved to GDI (gasoline direct injection) engines for more efficiency and power from the smaller engines they are throwing in cars. Those GDI fuel systems are under VERY high pressure! Most of the traditional MPI (multi-port injection) systems that have been on the market for the last 30 or so years since carburetors operate at a fuel pressure of around 25-30 psi. That's similar to a spray bottle. The fuel pump on the tank does all of the work from tank to injector. When the tank pump goes out, the car stops completely.

The new GDI systems are slightly different. They operate at fuel pressures around 2,500-3,000 psi. Literally 100 times higher!!!! That's similar to a motor driven pressure washer! The pump on the tank now has the easy job of just sending the fuel to the engine compartment. These GDI engines now have a SECOND fuel pump that takes that fuel from the engine compartment and cranks the pressure up and then blasts it through the fuel rail and injectors directly into the combustion chamber. It's these hard working, high pressure fuel pumps that go out on occasion. When this pump goes out, the car is still able to be driven to get you to the shop.

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
Must be an isolated incident. Many of the test cars have many thousands of miles on them, and the engine has been used by Genesis for a couple of years now. All Kia Optimas are GDI.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
It could also mean that they are mapped differently for the Stinger, even though they might be the same pump. Maybe they are mapped at a higher duty cycle in the ECU, same for the injectors.

Dutchman

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
Fuel pump failure in my 2018 GT Stinger

1225 miles and fuel pump is shot. Anyone else have this problem? Started acting up 3 days ago. Troublelight on today. Just got word it'll be there for 5 days waiting for new pump to arrive. UGH!! Stinger Premium with 2.0, AWD

Sunday night my fuel pump failed. Was lucky in that I was still on the on ramp to a major road and had room to pull off road. Car just completely died KIA tow service was there in 30 minutes. Dealer got replacement.pump today and car will be fixed by end of day. Great service by dealer. Am very disappointed that fuel pump failed. Only 9,500 miles on the car. Use.Shell V-Power and tank was 3/8ths full so don't think it was a case of fuel contamination. Only mod on the car is a Borla exhaust

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Sunday night my fuel pump failed. Was lucky in that I was still on the on ramp to a major road and had room to pull off road. Car just completely died KIA tow service was there in 30 minutes. Dealer got replacement.pump today and car will be fixed by end of day. Great service by dealer. Am very disappointed that fuel pump failed. Only 9,500 miles on the car. Use.Shell V-Power and tank was 3/8ths full so don't think it was a case of fuel contamination. Only mod on the car is a Borla exhaust
You have a 2.0L?

Sorry for your inconvenience. Glad that they got you up and running quickly!

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
The system with a high pressure pump and a lift pump sounds very similar to the systems found on most modern Diesels.