Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Fuel pump failure

Dutchman

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
First I've seen with a fuel pump issue on a 3.3L

Keep us posted.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Snow White KIA Stinger GT2 RWD
Ditto to robz32 saying "to keep us posted.".

Ringer

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 AWD Stinger
Hi! Last week, I ran my Stinger 2.0 AWD out of gas because the fuel sensor never came on. The gauge showed 1/2 tank and the remaining miles 91 (yes, I thought that was odd only 91 miles but I didn't question it because I trusted the gauge). I know the fuel sensor was working in the past. The UVO even came up telling me where the nearest gas station was nearby.
The dealership could not find a problem but did an 'adjust' to the baffle within the fuel tank. They said they could not check the actual fuel sensors because the tank was full. I drove it around for a few days to get the tank down to 1/2 as I planned to take it back in - even though they said the sensors were probably working fine and that I did not need to bring her back unless the problem happened again. Yesterday morning, I started her up and she shook so bad I thought she was going to die! The RPMS keep dropping. I had noticed this a little previously but not to this extent. I let her warm up and then drove her to work. She was running poorly with no horsepower. I called the dealership and took her in. Of course she ran just fine for them. They decided to keep her overnight and, thank goodness, she did the same shaking issue when stone cold. They could not get any 'history' from her but decided to check the plugs. They were black which indicated there was a fuel problem. Luckily later in the day when cold they were able to get some reading from her before the problem corrected itself. They are ordering me a new fuel rail and a new GDI (?) pump! Hopefully my fuel problems will be solved tomorrow and I can enjoy driving my Stinger again with no worries!

Ringer

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 AWD Stinger
11/7/18 Update. My Stinger is running great after the new fuel pump and rails. Unfortunately, the original problem of the fuel sensor still has not been corrected. The dealership told me the "adjustment" to the baffle should take care of it. When I picked up my Stinger on Oct 26th the gas gauge was just above empty. The range stated 34 miles. I drove her until the range stated 29 miles and the gas gauge had moved to touching E before I filled her up. The fuel sensor never showed that she was low on gas.
Yesterday 11/6 the gas range showed of 96 miles remaining. The gauge showed just over quarter tank. Since I have been taking pictures of the dash every few days since I ran her dry, I knew I had driven 308 miles since I last visited the gas station. I decided to see just how empty she was. She took 12.96 gallons!
I have scheduled yet another appointment to have the fuel sensors checked. This time, I will make sure she has less than half a tank so they cannot tell me they cannot access the sensors!
I will keep you posted.
Does anyone know when the fuel low light is supposed to come on?

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United States
What I Drive
18 Stinger GT2 AWD
11/7/18 Update. My Stinger is running great after the new fuel pump and rails. Unfortunately, the original problem of the fuel sensor still has not been corrected. The dealership told me the "adjustment" to the baffle should take care of it. When I picked up my Stinger on Oct 26th the gas gauge was just above empty. The range stated 34 miles. I drove her until the range stated 29 miles and the gas gauge had moved to touching E before I filled her up. The fuel sensor never showed that she was low on gas.
Yesterday 11/6 the gas range showed of 96 miles remaining. The gauge showed just over quarter tank. Since I have been taking pictures of the dash every few days since I ran her dry, I knew I had driven 308 miles since I last visited the gas station. I decided to see just how empty she was. She took 12.96 gallons!
I have scheduled yet another appointment to have the fuel sensors checked. This time, I will make sure she has less than half a tank so they cannot tell me they cannot access the sensors!
I will keep you posted.
Does anyone know when the fuel low light is supposed to come on?
I swore it was at 17 miles (which is pretty low... all my fords were like 25 or 30)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CKeeler

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
It comes on at 20 miles to empty. I run it down there every time unless i know I'm not going to make it home or to the gas station. My Mustang would warn me at 50 and continue reminding me all the way down to 0 miles to empty

Ringer

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 AWD Stinger
Thank you.

Ringer

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 AWD Stinger
Thank you.

Ringer

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 AWD Stinger
Issues continue with the fuel sensors. I took my baby in again today (I that's 3 times now) as the fuel gauge and mileage to empty is still not working properly. The fuel gauge has not gone below 1/2 tank in nearly a month. The mileage to empty jumps around at start up. Last week I decided I better fill her up. She took 13 gallons (tank showed 1/2). I wasn't sure how much fuel was in her when I dropped her off this morning (I have been taking daily pictures of the mileage) but I figured around 1/4 tank. I knew from prior visits that they could not check the fuel sensors within the tank if it had too much fuel (they ordered the "special" tool for this last month). I was told there was an engine computer recall and that they had ordered me the part. He said he did not think that was the cause of my issues with the gauges/sensors. I told him that the locks are not always working and that I have to use the fob to get in the car.
Two hours after I dropped her off, they called me to authorize them to put gas in. They stated I had dropped her off with an 1/8 of a tank. I reminded him that I didn't know how much gas was in her BECAUSE THE GAUGES/SENSORS ARE NOT WORKING! I also reminded them that I was told it had to have less gas in to check the sensors. About an hour and half later they called to say the gauges were working properly and that I could pick her up. They said if after they install the computer next week, if I am still having issues to bring her back in! When I arrived I was taken over to the cashier to pay for the 13 gallons they put in (they did not provide a receipt and they charged me tax on top of the gas price!). When I inquired about the special tool and if the sensors were checked with it, I was told I needed to speak to the guy that I spoke to when I dropped off the car but that he was not available. When I got in the car, I took a picture of the dash (as I am accustomed to doing now so I don't run out of gas again). They put 25 miles on her!! The paperwork they gave me stated the tech could not verify my concerns about the fuel gauge or mileage to empty gauge. Oh, and they didn't check out the lock issue either. They didn't even wash and vacuum! I am fed up with this dealership. I even looked into the Lemon Law for my state today.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Issues continue with the fuel sensors. I took my baby in again today (I that's 3 times now) as the fuel gauge and mileage to empty is still not working properly. The fuel gauge has not gone below 1/2 tank in nearly a month. The mileage to empty jumps around at start up. Last week I decided I better fill her up. She took 13 gallons (tank showed 1/2). I wasn't sure how much fuel was in her when I dropped her off this morning (I have been taking daily pictures of the mileage) but I figured around 1/4 tank. I knew from prior visits that they could not check the fuel sensors within the tank if it had too much fuel (they ordered the "special" tool for this last month). I was told there was an engine computer recall and that they had ordered me the part. He said he did not think that was the cause of my issues with the gauges/sensors. I told him that the locks are not always working and that I have to use the fob to get in the car.
Two hours after I dropped her off, they called me to authorize them to put gas in. They stated I had dropped her off with an 1/8 of a tank. I reminded him that I didn't know how much gas was in her BECAUSE THE GAUGES/SENSORS ARE NOT WORKING! I also reminded them that I was told it had to have less gas in to check the sensors. About an hour and half later they called to say the gauges were working properly and that I could pick her up. They said if after they install the computer next week, if I am still having issues to bring her back in! When I arrived I was taken over to the cashier to pay for the 13 gallons they put in (they did not provide a receipt and they charged me tax on top of the gas price!). When I inquired about the special tool and if the sensors were checked with it, I was told I needed to speak to the guy that I spoke to when I dropped off the car but that he was not available. When I got in the car, I took a picture of the dash (as I am accustomed to doing now so I don't run out of gas again). They put 25 miles on her!! The paperwork they gave me stated the tech could not verify my concerns about the fuel gauge or mileage to empty gauge. Oh, and they didn't check out the lock issue either. They didn't even wash and vacuum! I am fed up with this dealership. I even looked into the Lemon Law for my state today.

Really sorry about your issues. You might have a good case for the lemon law https://www.atg.wa.gov/general-lemon-law

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
[MENTION=1677]Ringer[/MENTION] that sucks to hear. That dealership is trash. Is there any other close to you that you can it to? Also not sure what your exact location is, but I do see your are in WA. Have you consider the posibility of taking it to Tork mortorsports they work on KDM vehicles and have a Stinger shop car. I am willing to bet that they can get to problem quicker than the dealer would, all you will need to do once they find it is tell what it is they (the dealer)need to check and done.

Ringer

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 AWD Stinger
Thank you Kezzer. I have actually been researching the Lemon Law. I hate to do it because I love my Stinger but I am concerned about future problems as well.

Ringer

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 AWD Stinger
Update. Finally called the manager of the service department with my complaint yesterday. He was understanding and thanked me for the call. He was going to look into it so that when I bring her in for the new engine computer install (recall - anyone else have this??) they can finally fix the fuel sensor issue as well.
Today, the tech that originally wanted to take my Stinger home to run some gas out of the tank last month, told me the manager had him order a new Fuel Sender Lever. The computer came in today and the new sender lever should be in Friday. Of course, they do not have a loaner for me until 12/3 so I scheduled the appointment for over a week out.
I hope this takes care of the problem. If not, I have documented all of the work, mileage, names, issues, ect. and will be contacting a Lemon Law attorney to prepare the required letter to Kia Corporate.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United States
What I Drive
18 Stinger GT2 AWD
Update. Finally called the manager of the service department with my complaint yesterday. He was understanding and thanked me for the call. He was going to look into it so that when I bring her in for the new engine computer install (recall - anyone else have this??) they can finally fix the fuel sensor issue as well.
Today, the tech that originally wanted to take my Stinger home to run some gas out of the tank last month, told me the manager had him order a new Fuel Sender Lever. The computer came in today and the new sender lever should be in Friday. Of course, they do not have a loaner for me until 12/3 so I scheduled the appointment for over a week out.
I hope this takes care of the problem. If not, I have documented all of the work, mileage, names, issues, ect. and will be contacting a Lemon Law attorney to prepare the required letter to Kia Corporate.
Sorry dude. Hope it works out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stevearm77

Reactions
I've just had the same issue here in Australia with the 2.0L.
Fuel pump & lines just replaced, all is good again.
Great little car

Reactions
City
Havertown
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 kia stinger 2.0t
New to this forum stuff...but i have a 2019 stinger 2.0t awd, i put an intake on it about 3 months ago and it seemed to be working great, recently i had check engine light and a code saying my engine was running to lean, the dealership said they were going to replace the fuel pump. After reading a lot online i was wondering if my intake might have had anything to do with the lean code or the fuel pump failing.

Last edited:

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
New to this forum stuff...but i have a 2019 stinger 2.0t awd, i put an intake on it about 3 months ago and it seemed to be working great, recently i had check engine light and a code saying my engine was running to lean, the dealership said they were going to replace the fuel pump. After reading a lot online i was wondering if my intake might have had anything to do with the lean code or the fuel pump failing.
No your intake will not make your car run lean, it's more then likely your fuel pump went bad. I know of a couple stingers that had bad fuel pumps.

ChaneRZ

Reactions
City
San Francisco
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Kia Stinger GT RWD
Intake has nothing to do with it.

myharpoon

Reactions
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger AWD GT1
The high pressure fuel pump on my 2018 3.3L failed on Tuesday during the morning rush hour. Called Kia Roadside Assistance to have it towed to my preferred dealership (rather than the dealership that was less than a half mile away). Waited almost 2 hours for the tow (in retrospect, I should have called the VIP line instead). Dealer tells me there's a TSB for the issue, ordered a new pump, and says I should have it back by ealy next week. We'll see if that happens.

Last edited: