Welcome to Kia Stinger Forum, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Register

See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    21 Rep Points
    Medals
    Made First Post  
    State
    Non-US
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by mldavis2 View Post
    Slightly O.T. here.

It is common knowledge that the amount of pressure on the brake pedal will determine if the ISG initiates or not. On my GT2, a light pedal pressure, just enough to keep the car from moving on all but a steep grade, is sufficient to prevent the ISG from activating. Fortunately for me, light brake pedal pressure is my habit, and my ISG seldom initiates when I forget to press the console button. I haven't crawled under the dash to count the switches or contacts on the brake pedal switch, but it seems reasonable that the brake lights and the ISG are on different switches, if not on different positions of the same switch. If the switches are different, it would be possible to re-adjust the ISG sensor switch so it would not activate the ISG under normal brake pedal pressure at stop lights. Just an idea ....
    Love the ideas. I doubt very much that there are adjustable switches, but it's definitely a good place to look and test--if it's reasonably accessible--to see if the switch that triggers the ISG can be bypassed entirely.
    Most likely this would consist of accessing the harness and figuring out what's happening there on which pins at what pressure, and defeating it accordingly.

Other common methods on other cars:

Jeeps have a voltage sensor that actually connects right at the battery. Disconnect this, and the system won't "risk it" to cut the engine, not knowing if it has enough voltage to restart. The Stinger definitely restarts based on voltage drop as well (it's documented), but I haven't checked yet whether there's an easily accessible sensor just for this.

Trucks have trailer harnesses that you can buy a cheap tester from Wal Mart to plug in that will defeat it (as the systems don't work when a trailer is attached).

Basically any of the conditions we know about (temperature of the cabin, voltage, clutch pushed, brake pushed, button pushed, etc.) that can be gamed or lied to would get the job done.

I'm all about the possible solution with the switch itself on the brake, but would request the following 2 things:

1. PLEASE don't disconnect any switches or harnesses or anything from the brakes without confirming that you're retaining normal operation AND BRAKE LIGHT operation. This isn't worth risking your life over!

2. While there may be a good switching/electronic point down there to consider for hacking this system, let's please keep the discussion in this thread AWAY from criticizing the way people drive/brake/etc. This thread isn't about how people drive, it's for people who want to disable a system that was not made for consumers. Yes, we know there is a way to operate the brake that can keep the system from working, and I'm sure we've all experimented with it. But as you said, that's common knowlefge, and has been discussed at length elsewhere. Let's keep the focus in this thread simple and narrow: This is about the system itself, not the driver of the car.

Medals
    Made First Post  
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 Likes
    In this, latest redesign, we have moved away from the fibres of cellulose pulp composite and used a 'space-age' thermoplastic polytetrafluoroethylene. This material is both durable and beautiful and comes with the standard ***DON'T QUIT YOUR DAY JOB*** no warranty, no guarantee. The kit is available for $299.00 The kit comes complete with 2 1" lengths of this 'space-age' material. Installation is a snap, but local installation is available for the price of 1st class airfare and Uber SUV to your location and an $899.00 installation fee. Checks can be made payable to each of the original designer of this solution (DesignDawg) and yours truly. Same amounts are fine.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled2.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	2006
    NOTICE: There has been a rumor floating around that all we are peddling is 2 1" lengths of heat shrink (unheated), just slipped in between the ISG and the switch housing. I can assure you that the kit comes with much more than that: The valuable lesson on how really great ideas (thank you DesignDawg) are sometimes the simplest.

Name:	untitled.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	107.0 KB 
ID:	2007

Medals
    Made First Post  
    Country
    Estonia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It really works :)

Name:	2019-04-19 12-25-29.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	738.1 KB 
ID:	2273

25 Rep Points
    Medals
    Made First Post Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stomms View Post
    It really works :)

Name:	2019-04-19 12-25-29.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	738.1 KB 
ID:	2273

Oooh a compact version lol

Medals
    Made First Post  
    Country
    Estonia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another version :)

Name:	2019-04-19 18-28-03.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	165.2 KB 
ID:	2275
    Last edited by stomms; 04-19-2019 at 03:37 PM.

Medals
    Made First Post  
    State
    MA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by mldavis2 View Post
    Slightly O.T. here.

It is common knowledge that the amount of pressure on the brake pedal will determine if the ISG initiates or not. On my GT2, a light pedal pressure, just enough to keep the car from moving on all but a steep grade, is sufficient to prevent the ISG from activating. Fortunately for me, light brake pedal pressure is my habit, and my ISG seldom initiates when I forget to press the console button. I haven't crawled under the dash to count the switches or contacts on the brake pedal switch, but it seems reasonable that the brake lights and the ISG are on different switches, if not on different positions of the same switch. If the switches are different, it would be possible to re-adjust the ISG sensor switch so it would not activate the ISG under normal brake pedal pressure at stop lights. Just an idea ....
    I'm pretty happy with the brake pressure solution. If it's a long light and I know it I just hit the brake harder and let the engine shut off. There are some real long ones on my way to work

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123