Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Engine auto start/stop issues

Reactions
State
AL
Country
United States
Over the past few weeks I've noticed that the engine auto start/stop feature has been acting... Strangely...

It's been pretty inconsistent with functionality in the different driving modes. I've noticed that in eco and comfort the feature will not be active on initial startup and a cold engine (safety and engine longevity I'm guessing). When coming to a stop, I need to depress the brake pedal a certain amount in order for it to engage. When it's engaged, it can last anywhere from 25 seconds to 3.5 minutes while the pressure remains constant on the brake pedal.

I've come to learn that the feature is very sensitive to brake pedal pressure so I've started paying extra attention to when i depress it, how hard, how long i hold it, and how long the engine stays off. Has anyone else experienced the engine coming back on at what seems like random times?

By random times I mean, youve depressed the brake pedal enough for it to engage and then held constant pressure on it for it to remain engaged and then poof, it just comes back on without you moving your foot even slightly.

I've noticed that it's pretty inconsistent with how long it stays on, can't find a trend with it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
Kia Stinger GT
Yes that's how the system is supposed to work. I can't remember that exact number of systems the car monitors but let's say if you are using the A/C and the car senses the voltage is getting low it'll restart the car to charge the battery even though you don't move your foot off the brakes.

OP
sinrule
Reactions
State
AL
Country
United States
Thread Starter #3
Interesting.g, coming from a manual car. Never had to deal with these features in the past.

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT2 AWD
As I understand it, it requires a certain amount of pressure on the pedal to "activate" and it won't "activate" if it senses the current battery charge state to be lower than some unknown threshold.

Reactions
State
CT
Country
United States
this sounds so crazy. my 2017 jeep grand cherokee just does it properly, no questions asked. i usually just hit the button and turn it off.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Well, "properly" is left to definition...

The system will not engage if only light brake pressure is applied (same for Auto Hold). The system will not engage if the SOC (state of charge) on the battery or system is low. The system will not engage if the rear defrost is on or if enough other high amp features like heated seats and steering wheel are on hi. The system will not engage if the a/c system is set to max/lowest setting.

Properly is if the system acts as designed. You're turning the system off on your Jeep because you don't like the way it feels, sounds, and limits the vehicles ability to perform as normal.

OP
sinrule
Reactions
State
AL
Country
United States
Thread Starter #7
Makes sense, I wasn't aware of the parameters of the system we're. I've been meaning to look at the manual lately, I'm sure I'll learn a few things.