Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Child Safety Seats in 2018 Stinger

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT1
So, as a father of three that recently purchased a Stinger, I provide this thread for other parents that are potentially seeking the info I just couldn't find when pre-purchase researching.

Just how do child safety seats fit in the Stinger?

For full disclosure, I had temporarily been driving my wife's old Honda Accord because you could fit three child car seats across in the back.

Looking for a more fun option that fit my personalty more than the Accord could ever provide, I had been looking at the Charger simply due to the lack of sport sedans that could fit three car seats in the back.

My research had led me to the rumors of a new Kia true Grand Touring model that was worth a wait.

My initial research was promising because the second row hip room was wider than the 2008 Accord, but I knew that wasn't a guarantee.

So, what's the verdict? Unfortunately, it depends. Luckily for me, I have twin 4 year olds and a 6 year old big enough for a booster. They fit, but it took some tinkering and market research.

If you have triplets that are still in 5 point harnesses, I'm sorry to report that it is going to be quite a challenge to pull that off.

While there are three teethers in the back there are two designs that make three full car seats a challenge. First, there is a old school hump in the middle seat in the back. This may create some challenges with traditional car seats. Second, the two sets of anchors are centered in the bucket seat positions in a way that bring them more towards the center than a completely flat back seat.

So, if you are only doing two 5 point harness seats, that should be easy to pull off even without the more expensive narrow seats.

So, how was I able to pull off three across?

Here is my set-up:

I used two Diono Radians. They are moderately pricey, but worth the narrowness without loss of safety. Even with those two, a traditional booster would have been pretty tight and made buckling pretty tough. So, in the middle, I am using a mifold booster. The product is very affordable and a pretty ingenius design. Rather, than boost the kid up to get the belt in the right place, it brings the belt down. Less booster means much less space. Therefore, all three fit across and luckily don't need a lot of legroom. I might have to reevaluate as the boys legs get longer, but I will have plenty of time to enjoy the new car until then.

I'd be interested if anyone else has found a better set-up.

My boys love going for a ride just like I did in my dad's old Plymouth Satellite.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Thanks for starting this thread for all parents with young kids.

We carry a Bubble Bum in the car in case our 7yo niece wants to ride along with our two sons in the back.

Just like you, I also have a Diono Radian RXT for my older son which sits behind me on the driver side. For my younger son we have the Britax Boulevard. The Bubble Bum is inflatable so it can squeeze in between the two seats.

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
Kia Stinger Premium
[MENTION=897]DBeasley1906[/MENTION] thanks the suggestion on the Mifold booster, I didn't even know something like that existed. We've been looking for a portable travel booster and this is perfect.