Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

World Car Awards 2018: Kia Stinger and Hyundai Kona Narrowly Missed Out Being 'Top Three In The World'

Kia Stinger News

Staff Member
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
South Korea

The Volvo XC60 was recently crowned the World Car of the Year 2018, and deservedly so. And now as the final scores for all the finalists have been revealed, it is quite obvious how close it got for some. In the World Car of the Year run, the top three were declared earlier, but now we know it was the Range Rover Velar that came in as the first runner-up. The Mazda CX-5 has to make do with the second runner-up title. The XC60 finished with a weighted score of 776 points, with the Range Rover Velar 34 points behind at 742, and the CX-5 close behind at 738. But a further look at the Top Ten's scores shows something interesting. Barely missing out a spot in the Top Three, by just a whisker - is the formidable and much talked of Kia Stinger. Just a mere 3 points behind the Mazda CX-5, the Stinger's 735 points shows it has certainly been recognised for its ingenuity, performance and overall proposition, by the jury. A pity that it missed out, as that could have been quite a statement from the only truly global awards programme. The 3rd generation BMW X3 and Toyota Camry were also not far behind with a weighted score of 727 and 726 respectively.

World Car of the Year 2018: Final Standings for Top Ten
  • Volvo XC60 776
  • Range Rover Velar 742
  • Mazda CX-5 738
  • Kia Stinger 735
  • BMW X3 727
  • Toyota Camry 726
  • Land Rover Discovery 701
  • Alfa Romeo Giulia 693
  • Nissan Leaf 688
  • Volkswagen T-Roc NA

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
A lot of this depends on how features are weighted. All cars (and UV's) are a compromise between handling vs. comfort, features vs. cost, power vs. economy, etc. There is also no clear distinction between value and price in these listings.

I personally find the Camry to be one of the most boring, ubiquitous cars on the road so unless it's hiding something, I hate to see it even close to the Stinger. Just my biased opinion as a Stinger owner.....which is worth exactly what you paid for it. [thumb]

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Is it just me or is the Hyundai Kona not even in the top 10? LOL Someone got an extra $10k just to throw a name in the title.