Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Are the speed signs in the Heads up display stored in the nav?

K8AR

Reactions
State
AR
Country
United States
Was driving the other day and noticed the speed signs on the HUD were off on a road that's currently undergoing construction. This got me wondering if the speed signs that are displayed on the HUD are stored with the navigation or pulled in via GPS?

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
I'm sure they are in the data that goes with the Kia nav maps. I currently have a question in at Kia about how to notify them when we find an error or update. Today is Sunday here so no reply yet. I'll share it when I get an answer. The speed limits in Google maps or Waze do not appear in the HUD, just on the screen. The speed limits were changed (for example) near Hwy 86 and I-49 when the big truck stop was built over a year ago but speeds are still shown as 55MPH where they should be 45MPH.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
the speed limit for all roads are stored on the KIA Nav software, so they need to update it on their databases first and then you will need to purchase the updated maps for your Nav system from Kia.

OP
K8AR

K8AR

Reactions
State
AR
Country
United States
Thread Starter #4
Thanks

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
I'm sure they are in the data that goes with the Kia nav maps. I currently have a question in at Kia about how to notify them when we find an error or update. Today is Sunday here so no reply yet. I'll share it when I get an answer. The speed limits in Google maps or Waze do not appear in the HUD, just on the screen. The speed limits were changed (for example) near Hwy 86 and I-49 when the big truck stop was built over a year ago but speeds are still shown as 55MPH where they should be 45MPH.
Here is the official website for Kia GPS updates. It also has a link to suggest map updates in their system so that they can verify it and update their database!

http://www.kia-gpsmap.us/

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Here is the official website for Kia GPS updates. It also has a link to suggest map updates in their system so that they can verify it and update their database!

http://www.kia-gpsmap.us/
Also, they already have an update for the head unit. If you check in the car's system menu, you can verify if you've got version 11.5 or the new 12.5. Here's the .pdf breakdown on all of the updates. Sounds like they've made some updates to the AA/ACP interface as well as a few tweaks to the factory GUI.

http://www.kia-gpsmap.us/media/manual/v12/New Map Features Kia America Gen 5.pdf

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
2018 stinger gt
I never see speed signs in the HUD. I am in the UK. Is this a feature that needs to be turned on? I cannot see any option to do so in settings or any instruction in the manual.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United States
What I Drive
18 Stinger GT2 AWD
Does the built in nav show speed signs on the main display? If so, i think the HUD settings allow you to select what is displayed or not.

FYI...
For US, the speed sign is in the Nav. Not something updated OTA or visually by street signs).

Not sure how other markets get that data.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
2018 stinger gt
On mine in the UK, the speed limit sign appears in the console in front of the driver and also on the navigation map display, just not in the HUD. There are options for what the HUD displays, but the speed limit information is not one of them.

MaybeKIA

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Scotland
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT Line S
I've got speed signs on my HUD in the UK. It's "seen" by the camera at the front of the car, rather than any GPS data so will also show reduced speed limits for roadworks etc, provided the sign is in a recognised format (I don't think it reads electronic overhead gantry signs).

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
2018 stinger gt
Thank you for that encouraging news. Now, do you know how to turn that feature on or has it just always been there for you. I asked my dealer when I got the car, but they said it can't be done, so at least now I can go back to them and challenge that view.

MaybeKIA

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Scotland
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT Line S
Thank you for that encouraging news. Now, do you know how to turn that feature on or has it just always been there for you. I asked my dealer when I got the car, but they said it can't be done, so at least now I can go back to them and challenge that view.
I actually can't remember if I set it up or if it was there by default. Now you've made me have to go and play with it to find out!![hihi]

Edit - OK, I can't see any way to change it so assume it's defaulted. Page 5-92 of the manual shows the relevant feature info but doesn't mention HUD. My HUD currently shows the first sign of page 5-94 as it can't see any signs in my garage but the nav knows where I am.

Hope that helps. My Stinger is a GT Line S, if that helps.

ais001

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Italy
What I Drive
Kia Stinger 2.2 CRDi AWD my18
K8AR said:
Was driving the other day and noticed the speed signs on the HUD were off on a road that's currently undergoing construction. This got me wondering if the speed signs that are displayed on the HUD are stored with the navigation or pulled in via GPS?
In my car ( https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nwiEtn_g4R0rApNciYgBEySbwQ53F_Fx/view?usp=drivesdk ): in the "Italian" version (?GTline AWD? model) the speed that appears is stored in the map, but the sensor on the front of the car reads the speed indicated on the road signs and updates the symbol in the HUD.

Example: road with limit of 50kmh, sign with signal of 30kmh ... HUD shows 30kmh

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
In my car ( https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nwiEtn_g4R0rApNciYgBEySbwQ53F_Fx/view?usp=drivesdk ): in the "Italian" version (?GTline AWD? model) the speed that appears is stored in the map, but the sensor on the front of the car reads the speed indicated on the road signs and updates the symbol in the HUD.

Example: road with limit of 50kmh, sign with signal of 30kmh ... HUD shows 30kmh
I am really really sure that the Stinger, at least here in the US, does NOT read road signs. All of the data is saved on the navigation SD card.

ais001

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Italy
What I Drive
MurlinatoR said:
I am really really sure that the Stinger, at least here in the US, does NOT read road signs.
Video from my italian version of iOS app ?MyKia?: https://youtu.be/uRn1R8wPnk0

The original video is from ?.us? version... its really strange all u havent this option

P.S. in Italy we do not have updated software like you, the latest version of the software into the Stinger for us is this:

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
In the US, my GT2 does not read the signs.

I am so used to my Telsa reading the signs.

It is disappointing to know KIA has the technology in the car but has not unlocked it.

All posts are for entertainment, are my opinions and not meant to be acted upon. All photos are copyrighted and not for use by others, without express written consent by me.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2013 Mercedes-Benz C300
My GT Limited in Canada displays the speed signs on the HUD. Don't know if it's stored in the Nav or if it's the front camera reading the signs but it works perfectly. As soon as the car passes the signs, the speed display changes. If I pass a school zone speed sign, the display changes and the school zone logo appears above the speed sign on the HUD. When I drive in the U.S., same thing.

ais001

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Italy
What I Drive
@Radguy
Don't know if it's stored in the Nav or if it's the front camera reading the signs but it works perfectly
Read my prev message ;)