Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Consumer Reports 2018 Kia Stinger 2.0L Review

Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
I don't agree that the ride on the Stinger is too stiff and unsettled over bumps.

________
Kia has branched into sports-sedan territory with its new four-door hatchback Stinger.

The 2.0-liter, 255-hp turbo four-cylinder engine, paired with optional all-wheel drive in the car we tested (rear-wheel drive is standard), is powerful, but at 7.5 seconds to 60 mph, it isn?t as quick as some rivals. Worse, it gets a mediocre 23 mpg overall. The eight-speed automatic transmission is smooth and responsive.

An additional $6,450 gets buyers the 365-hp turbo V6 in the GT and higher trims.

When steering through corners, the Stinger feels taut and agile, and it can be playful on the track. But the ride is overly stiff and unsettled when encountering bumps. Other performance sedans strike a better balance.

It can be a challenge to get in and out because of the car?s low-slung design. Once inside, the front leather seats are comfortable and offer plenty of adjustments. The rear-seat space is hurt a bit by the sloping roofline, but the hatchback creates generous cargo space.

The controls are easy to use, but drivers may struggle with the faint labeling on buttons and a long reach to the infotainment screen. The electronic gear selector in the GT2 trim, which we also drove, can leave drivers confused about whether they?re in Reverse or Park.

Optional safety features include forward-collision warning, automatic emergency braking, blind-spot warning, and rear cross-traffic warning.

HIGHS: Handling, front-seat comfort, hatchback versatility
LOWS: Ride, tight rear seat, difficult access
POWERTRAIN: 255-hp, 2.0-liter four-cylinder turbo engine; eight-speed automatic transmission; all-wheel drive
FUEL: 23 mpg on regular fuel
PRICE AS TESTED: $40,400

https://www.consumerreports.org/sedans/2018-kia-stinger-review-striving-to-be-sporty/

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
Will someone please explain to me what Consumer Reports knows about cars? They are world experts on can openers and washing machines, not cars.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Will someone please explain to me what Consumer Reports knows about cars? They are world experts on can openers and washing machines, not cars.
They know as much or more as any other auto publication. And, since they accept no advertising and buy all their own test vehicles anonymously instead of being hosted and coddled by the manufacturers, I would believe their reviews over any traditional commercial publication. If you pay attention to what they do, you'll also discover they aren't just testing the cars like suitcases. They know about performance vehicles, too.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
If you get their subscription there's much more details on car reports. As far as being experts, They're much more unbiased than most other car magazines.