Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Helpful Pointers for those installing Tunes

Reactions
Country
United States
If you guys are in the market for a tune, here are some helpful pointers you should consider before installing to avoid getting misfires.

1) Make sure you check with the tuner to see if the tune requires colder plugs. (If yes consider picking up a set of colder plugs)
Based on another tune, the HKS M45iL seems to work.

2) Check with your tuner if the tune requires regapping, on my JB4 it required regapping the spark plugs (making them smaller) to .025. You can do this by gently tapping on the top electrode then using a tool to regap the distance.
Reducing the gap greatly reduces the resistance during WOT and helps the ignition system keep firing at much higher than stock loads.

[video=youtube;XFehqlFsUQA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFehqlFsUQA[/video]

You can also get a professional gap tool.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Allstar-Performance/049/ALL96516/10002/-1

3) Make sure use the highest octane available at your pump.
Most tunes have more aggressive tuning parameters intended for 91 or higher octane gas. Running lower octane than what is recommended would be very bad for the plugs, which is due to a lean condition. The timing is advanced for higher octane fuel. You can safely run 93 octane on a 91 map, but don't run 91 octane on a 93 map.

4) If your Stinger starts getting misfires, DO NOT continue using the tune and remove it. Next thing you should do is inspect the spark plug for any fouling or cracks (examples below).

5) If your Stinger continues having misfires, you'll need to replace the coils.

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT1
Great job very useful.

Reactions
State
VA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT
Thanks for the pointers

Reactions
State
NJ
Country
United States
Great tips and explanations, I would just go ahead and suggest replacing plugs regardless of what tune you get.

ajm

Reactions
City
Hialeah
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
Genesis G70 2.0T
Are these available for a 2.0t g70?

MONUSA

Reactions
City
Lexington
State
KY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger 2.0T
Yes. The HKS equivalent for the 2.0T is the M45"X"L. I have the 2.0T Stinger(same engine) w/JB4 and that is the plug number......The gap is .022 per recommendations. Also, LOG, LOG, LOG.......you need to get a good understanding of what is going on with the engine in order to properly adjust tune inputs for performance and reliability

ajm

Reactions
City
Hialeah
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
Genesis G70 2.0T
Thank you so much, definitely purchasing the jb4 to make some power

Reactions
City
West Grove
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Genesis G90 Premium 3.3T AWD
[QUOTE="sciprox, post: 15486, member: canykjgoo tips and explanations, I would just go ahead and suggest replacing plugs regardless of what tune you get.[/QUOTE]
Sex is

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
TurboTx Stinger Discussions 25