Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Drop-in VS. Air intake System

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
I know there are already quite a few options for air intake system that are either available now or coming to the market soon, but lets get a discussion going for those who do not want to spend big dollars for an intake.

Seeing that K&N recently released their drop-in filter, which intake setup do you consider the best bang for your buck for increased power, better throttle response and sound?

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Bahrain
What I Drive
2011 - 997.2TT
A CAI done right will always be better, only K&N has a CAI available today and I feel a CAI could be done much better. I am waiting to see the CAI kits that are in the works before buying anything.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Currently there are no CAI available in the market for the Stinger. Unless I missed an announcement for one.
What we have seen so far are WAI. A drop in filter is so far the best option to increase throttle response.

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT2 AWD
By all current appearances, the power gains from the drop-in panel K&N filter replacements and the full K&N intake replacement are about the same. I expect this to be the same with those cars which have upgraded downpipes and exhaust, as well. If you want more "psh" sound, replace the intake. If not, or you just want to save money, just get the panel replacements.

What's more important here seems to be that the intake replacement's not a big gain. That's on the exhaust side. I don't expect an "upgraded" intake to truly matter until folks start upgrading the turbos.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT1 + Drive Wise
Can someone explain differences between CAI and WAI, as far as upgrade options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States

I think he's referring to the Typhoon as WAI because it's drawing air from inside the engine bay, which definitely isn't cold. Probably more accurate to refer to it as a HAI.

Regarding which is best, a Stinger with an actual custom built CAI was shown to produce 4 hp over stock. I would expect less from the Typhoon once it gets tested by a 3rd party.

https://youtu.be/I3He06aSirs

Most people that have installed the Typhoon said they felt no difference in the way the car drives. Essentially what you're getting for $400 is noise and a cute engine bay.

The $100 filter replacements will at the very least give you more airflow over stock and won't draw in hot air as the Typhoon. You won't get the extra noise from the Typhoon.

Last edited:

Kale808

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
HI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Kia Stinger GT

CAI = Cold Air Intake, has a tube that extends the intake to near the bottom of the engine to draw in cold air.
WAI = Warm Air Intake, basically pulls most of its air from the engine compartment.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
CAI = Cold Air Intake, has a tube that extends the intake to near the bottom of the engine to draw in cold air.
WAI = Warm Air Intake, basically pulls most of its air from the engine compartment.
You are Technically correct. A true CAI is one that is routed outside the engine bay in order to draw in cold air. Could be towards the front of the car, side or downwards.
You are correct on the description of the WAI.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
By all current appearances, the power gains from the drop-in panel K&N filter replacements and the full K&N intake replacement are about the same. I expect this to be the same with those cars which have upgraded downpipes and exhaust, as well. If you want more "psh" sound, replace the intake. If not, or you just want to save money, just get the panel replacements.

What's more important here seems to be that the intake replacement's not a big gain. That's on the exhaust side. I don't expect an "upgraded" intake to truly matter until folks start upgrading the turbos.
I believe that the gains currently seem limited with a CAI due to the fact the ECU is not tuned to accommodate for the additional air coming into the engine.
The biggest gain from an intake is the better throttle response and quicker turbo spool up. No tune needed to feel those gains.

Reactions
City
Boston
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT
Few years ago when I was on the BMW forums someone did a dyno test comparing a drop-in vs. short ram intake and the results showed 0 gains. I'm willing to bet the same applies to the Stinger.

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT2 AWD
I believe that the gains currently seem limited with a CAI due to the fact the ECU is not tuned to accommodate for the additional air coming into the engine.
The biggest gain from an intake is the better throttle response and quicker turbo spool up. No tune needed to feel those gains.
And what I said in a roundabout way is that I don't believe much is to be gained with an intake, even with ECM tunes, until turbo upgrades are added (and the ECM then tuned, of course).

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
Got my filter today. K&N shipped me one left filter and one Crown Victoria filter. New filter is being overnighted to me.

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Just installed the K&N drop in filters. What a difference in the throttle response. Very pleased.

All posts are for entertainment, are my opinions and not meant to be acted upon. All photos are copyrighted and not for use by others, without express written consent by me.

Strtaylor

Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT2
Last edited:

VelossaTech

Vendor
Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
ford focus ST
For those of you who are getting CAI/WAI you may want to pair it with a set of BIG MOUTH inlet ducts. These truly force feed your intake cool, high pressure air.

Remember that your inlet temps and inlet absolute pressure all affect turbocharger compressor performance, feeding your intake with lower temperature, higher pressure air is what will synergize best with any aftermarket intake you get.

/end shameless plug

best,

D/VT

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
Other than K&N drop in filters, what other performance drop in options are out there? I prefer non-oiled, but AFE doesn't make any for 3.3 engine (Kia/Genesis/Hyundai)

CptNut

Reactions
State
LA
Country
United States
While the WAI description (I gotta admit that made me lol) is true when the car is at a stand still, I'll bet you a dozen donuts that if the car is moving as slow as 5 to 10mph the IAT will be within a few degrees of a CAI. Once the car is moving even a little bit, the majority of the air ingested by the intake is coming from the front of the car. If you have something like a Creader that connects to the OBDII port, you should be able to monitor the IAT while at a standstill and then see how much the IAT drops once the car is moving at different speeds.

Before I had a Creader, I used a radio shack indoor/outdoor thermometer and put the outdoor thermometer in my engine bay by the WAI intake. I sat at a stand still until the temps reads over 100F and then started moving at 10mph to see how close the outdoor temp reading was to the actual weather temp. Usually after driving for 15 to 30 seconds to give the temp sensor a chance to normalize, it would be within 2 to 3F of the weather temp. If I went at speeds over 25mph, the outdoor temp sensor was usually within 1 degree of the weather temp. The important thing is making sure there isn't anything that's warming up the air coming from the front of the car before it gets to intake. You wouldn't want to put a CAI intake behind a FMIC or radiator because the air coming through the FMIC and radiator is going to be a lot hotter.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT LTD
The temperature of the air pre turbine, which is pre intercooler, is irrelevant. Either the intercooler is efficient enough to cool the air post turbo, or it isn't. The extra 10-20*F prior to the turbine is truly irrelevant.

Rev_Night

Reactions
State
VA
Country
United States
For those of you who are getting CAI/WAI you may want to pair it with a set of BIG MOUTH inlet ducts. These truly force feed your intake cool, high pressure air.

Remember that your inlet temps and inlet absolute pressure all affect turbocharger compressor performance, feeding your intake with lower temperature, higher pressure air is what will synergize best with any aftermarket intake you get.

D/VT
Whats to prevent a rock from going inside these inlets?

Also, are there any dyno results? Stated whp/wtq gains?