Welcome to Kia Stinger Forum, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Register

See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Medals
    Made First Post  
    State
    LA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Likes
    Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kale808 View Post
    CAI = Cold Air Intake, has a tube that extends the intake to near the bottom of the engine to draw in cold air.
    WAI = Warm Air Intake, basically pulls most of its air from the engine compartment.
    While the WAI description (I gotta admit that made me lol) is true when the car is at a stand still, I'll bet you a dozen donuts that if the car is moving as slow as 5 to 10mph the IAT will be within a few degrees of a CAI. Once the car is moving even a little bit, the majority of the air ingested by the intake is coming from the front of the car. If you have something like a Creader that connects to the OBDII port, you should be able to monitor the IAT while at a standstill and then see how much the IAT drops once the car is moving at different speeds.

Before I had a Creader, I used a radio shack indoor/outdoor thermometer and put the outdoor thermometer in my engine bay by the WAI intake. I sat at a stand still until the temps reads over 100F and then started moving at 10mph to see how close the outdoor temp reading was to the actual weather temp. Usually after driving for 15 to 30 seconds to give the temp sensor a chance to normalize, it would be within 2 to 3F of the weather temp. If I went at speeds over 25mph, the outdoor temp sensor was usually within 1 degree of the weather temp. The important thing is making sure there isn't anything that's warming up the air coming from the front of the car before it gets to intake. You wouldn't want to put a CAI intake behind a FMIC or radiator because the air coming through the FMIC and radiator is going to be a lot hotter.

Medals
    Made First Post  
    Country
    Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Likes
    The temperature of the air pre turbine, which is pre intercooler, is irrelevant. Either the intercooler is efficient enough to cool the air post turbo, or it isn't. The extra 10-20*F prior to the turbine is truly irrelevant.

Medals
    Made First Post  
    State
    VA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by VelossaTech View Post
    For those of you who are getting CAI/WAI you may want to pair it with a set of BIG MOUTH inlet ducts. These truly force feed your intake cool, high pressure air.

Remember that your inlet temps and inlet absolute pressure all affect turbocharger compressor performance, feeding your intake with lower temperature, higher pressure air is what will synergize best with any aftermarket intake you get.

D/VT
    Whats to prevent a rock from going inside these inlets?

Also, are there any dyno results? Stated whp/wtq gains?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123