Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

upgrade to gt2 gear shifter?

cupidsrage

Reactions
State
AR
Country
United States
Is it possible to upgrade the gt1 shifter to the gt2 shift by wire shifter? i know its the same transmission so seems like it would be possible.

Reactions
State
AL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Silver Kia Stinger GT
It would be possible, it just wont be cheap. What's your reason for wanting to switch it out?

OP
C

cupidsrage

Reactions
State
AR
Country
United States
Thread Starter #3
Honestly. I just like the look more.

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
Actually, I initially ordered a GT1 because I didn't want the DBW shifter. It takes a little getting used-to but it's OK. Just more electronic stuff to potentially give problems.....and no advantage in performance. I think it was just some added fluff the engineers thought would attract Lexus and BMW drivers. Doesn't light my fire.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Doubt it. The GT1 has a mechanical linkage directly attached to the transmission. The GT2 uses a shift by wire system and is comprised of a solenoid and harnesses that detect the position of the shifter and sends a signal to indicate the selected gear.

Kale808

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
HI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Kia Stinger GT
Given enough money anything is possible, labor alone will probably set you back $1k or more. In the long run you're probably going to have less problems with the mechanical shifter. In fact, Chrysler just had a huge recall over their electronic shifter.