Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

SCCA Autocross class for GT2 RWD

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT2
Anyone know if Stinger GT2 RWD has been classed for SCCA AX yet? F Stock? Suspect mustangs would kill it due to tire and weight advantages.

Not likely to drive it in competition but just was curious if anyone has run one

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
It hasn't been classed. I'm leaning towards F Street as well.

VegasStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
NV
Country
United States
They released the 2018 categories but for some reason the Stinger wasn't included. HS or FS would be my guess.

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT2 AWD
Interesting to see the difference between the classing of the RWD and AWD, as well.

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
18 GT2
They released the 2018 categories but for some reason the Stinger wasn't included. HS or FS would be my guess.
No way is it going to be HS. That's the slowest class. Not much besides NA 4 cylinders and a few older NA V6es in there. My guess is DS for the 2.0T (similar to older BMW 3-series for RWD and Subaru turbo cars like the WRX and Legacy GT for AWD) and FS (similar to other RWD turbo 6-cylinders) for the GT. I wrote to the Solo Committee asking for them to class the GT, so hopefully it will be classed in the next FastTrack.

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT2 AWD
Would they put the RWD and AWD in separate classes?

OP
CaliSting
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT2
Thread Starter #7
Might be different. To me seems like RWD car has some advantage in AX but who knows once bigger tires are mounted with different swaybar AWD car might turn into monster that is able to turn better. Curious does AWD car have staggered wheels or do they have 19x8 all the way around?

OP
CaliSting
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT2
Thread Starter #8
AWD has 4 identical tires.
But are rim sizes all 8? or do they get 8.5 rear in GT2 aWD? When I read general specs it looks like AWD gets staggered wheels. So they just mount skinny 225 on wider rear wheel?

OP
CaliSting
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT2
Thread Starter #9
Curious does anyone know who makes dampers on GT2 car? Any sense to whether these dampers could be revalved? Doubtful but hey always a chance they used a more premium shock tube.

Aside from lack of wheel width to F street competition there doesn?t seem to be much room to grab more negative camber.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Curious does anyone know who makes dampers on GT2 car? Any sense to whether these dampers could be revalved? Doubtful but hey always a chance they used a more premium shock tube.
Okay, so the stagger is for 19" vs 18", not for RWD vs AWD. An AWD with the 19" set are still staggered with the Pilot sport rubber.

I did just measure the rims on a staggered set and can confirm that the rim for the 225 tire is 1/2" smaller than the rim for the 255. So, if you have the 18" set of rims, in either AWD or RWD, the rims are the same. 19" rims are 1/2" different.

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
18 GT2
I thought I had submitted a reply to this, but apparently not. It seems unlikely to me. Currently, there are five cars with comparable classing: the 3-series, 4-series, ATS, Charger, and 300/300C. The 3-series, 4-series, and ATS are available in either RWD or AWD with a turbo 4 and a 6-cylinder (NA V6 for the ATS, turbo I6 for the BMWs); the Chryslers are available in RWD and AWD with V6es and V8s. For all five options, the lower-spec engine is in DS regardless of drive wheels, and the higher spec engine is in FS regardless of drive wheels. Since the Stinger has similar powertrain options to the BMWs, I don't see why it would be any different.

But are rim sizes all 8? or do they get 8.5 rear in GT2 aWD? When I read general specs it looks like AWD gets staggered wheels. So they just mount skinny 225 on wider rear wheel?
I thought they were four identical wheels and tires too, because that's how every AWD vehicle I've ever seen works. But some people on a Stinger Facebook group corrected me. They are different wheel and tire widths (although I believe the tires are close to the same circumference). I am wondering if Kia specifically engineered the center and/or rear diffs to work with the different size wheels, and if so, how running a square setup for winter tires would affect it.

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
18 GT2
I wrote to the Solo Committee asking for them to class the GT, so hopefully it will be classed in the next FastTrack.
The new FastTrack is out, and with it a response to my request to class the Stinger. GT is FS, 2.0T is GS. A little surprised on the 2.0T (my guess is it has to do with power-to-weight), but I was expecting the GT would be in FS.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
StingerMike Photos & Media 0