Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Love my Stinger GT2 but have concerns about the car when on twisty back mountin roads

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
Porsche Cayman S
Your quote is comparing "GTs" to mid-engined exotic sports cars. So yes, they would have a softer ride than, say, a Ferrari F40. It also specifically says that GTs should be able to seat 2, or 2+2. So a Corvette is a grand tourer, as is a Ferrari 456, a Porsche 928, and most Aston Martins. Please note also that your definition says GTs should "provide suitable handling and roadholding on all routes." An underdamped, bouncy rear does not provide either of those.

Seems like you're trying to selectively apply the definition so that only the criteria you want to emphasize apply, thus making the Stinger meet the definition as produced. Let's be real, this kind of suspension design issue would not fly at Porsche or Ferrari, or even BMW or Audi.

I like the car, and it's a bargain given its level of performance and refinement is similar to cars costing $10-20k more, but I think we should all be able to acknowledge when a car has strengths AND weaknesses.
What weakness? Kia never sold the car as a sports car... From the beginning at the designing board this car was conceived as a Gran Spanking Turismo not a track monstet sports car. I wish Kia will one day build a true sports car and i think they will. Lets be real you guys expect Porsche handling and suspension for 40k usd least be honest to ourselves.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
Saab 9-5 AERO. Stinger GT on order
My call out stands: 5. Its "chassis and suspension provide suitable handling and roadholding on all routes" during travels. I love the car, but both the chassis and suspension need work. My doors and sunroof are jiggling every time I pull in the driveway (chassis) and the ass end of the car cycles 1.5 times for every 1 time of the front (suspension). That is a fact, not a judgement, and it is VERBOTEN for any car let alone a GT. So the suspension is too soft in the rear relative to the front and both are too soft for really spirited driving on the road.
If you're happy with it Genesis, I'm happy for you. But the car has adaptive suspension. There is not a setting that allows me to be happy with it. All it should be a software tweak.
BTW. Revisit the branding Genesis. The car has the pedigree of Nurburgring development, a 167 mph top speed, Brembo brakes, and.... adaptive suspension. I want a true GT. This isn't dissing the car. It's communicating my expectations that were built up by that branding. And it's saying make sport mode firmer doggoneit! Right now it's GT Lite in the suspension dept. And it doesn't have to be. BTW I'll be getting another Stinger. Probably a 2022. It's already the best car on the road period. If i had a Porsche I'd say it's ugly and lacks personality. If I had a BMW I'd say 'What, another recall?, if I had an Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrafoglio I'd say "WOW, what a car! And I spent a hundred grand? What was I thinking?. LOL.

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
18 GT2
What weakness? Kia never sold the car as a sports car... From the beginning at the designing board this car was conceived as a Gran Spanking Turismo not a track monstet sports car. I wish Kia will one day build a true sports car and i think they will. Lets be real you guys expect Porsche handling and suspension for 40k usd least be honest to ourselves.
You posted the definition of a GT car. I pointed out that by your very own definition, the Stinger has a flaw in its GT credentials. As for pricing, my Stinger GT2 had an MSRP of $50k. My Chevy SS that I had before this (also with over 350 HP, RWD, adjustable suspension, heated and cooled leather seats, navigation, keyless start, four doors and room to seat four adults, etc.) had an MSRP of $48k and did not have these issues.

Are there some things the GT2 does better than the SS? Sure. Is the Stinger a great car regardless of price that competes, and compares favorably, with significantly more expensive cars? Absolutely. But stop using price as an excuse for the Stinger's deficiencies, and stop hiding behind your definition of a GT car when by your definition, the Stinger is flawed as a GT car. Doing those things just makes you seem like a Kia fanboy who's unable to admit obvious flaws with the car. And you're not that person, are you? ;)

Reactions
State
AL
Country
United States
For a 35k dollar car, the base GT works wonderfully for me. All expectations met. I came from an A5 and I felt so if the Stinger handles better as a GT car than there A5.

I wouldn't really change much about the suspension, I'm satisfied.

I also don't hear any creaks in my car. It feels very solid in all driving conditions. I don't have the sun roof, though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
Porsche Cayman S
You posted the definition of a GT car. I pointed out that by your very own definition, the Stinger has a flaw in its GT credentials. As for pricing, my Stinger GT2 had an MSRP of $50k. My Chevy SS that I had before this (also with over 350 HP, RWD, adjustable suspension, heated and cooled leather seats, navigation, keyless start, four doors and room to seat four adults, etc.) had an MSRP of $48k and did not have these issues.

Are there some things the GT2 does better than the SS? Sure. Is the Stinger a great car regardless of price that competes, and compares favorably, with significantly more expensive cars? Absolutely. But stop using price as an excuse for the Stinger's deficiencies, and stop hiding behind your definition of a GT car when by your definition, the Stinger is flawed as a GT car. Doing those things just makes you seem like a Kia fanboy who's unable to admit obvious flaws with the car. And you're not that person, are you? ;)
Expecting porsche performance handling and want to pay 40k, what do you want a ferrari for 12k too? Plus the SS was conceived as a true sports car the Stinger is not a pure sports car...my past Camaro 2ss had tranny issues at 8k miles never gm again. Plus i have not bought the stinger and you have which makes you a Kia
fanboy.
Genius.

Last edited:
Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
No squeaks or rattles in mine at 7000 miles. If the suspension is good enough for Fittipaldi, it's good enough for hauling my ass on vacation and back.

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
18 GT2
Expecting porsche performance handling and want to pay 40k, what do you want a ferrari for 12k too?
Where did I say I expected "porsche performance handling"? I don't. I realize that this is not a Porsche. I mentioned Porsche in the context of the fact that your definition of "GT" applies more to a Porsche 928 than a Kia Stinger, and that any manufacturer of a true "GT" car would not put a car on the market with this type of suspension flaw.

And BTW, my car had an MSRP of nearly $50k, sooooooo...

Plus the SS was conceived as a true sports car the Stinger is not a pure sports car...
You know how I know you have no idea what you're talking about?

This was my SS:

2017-07-08 16.53.48 (Large).jpg

That's a full-sized four-door sedan, weighing around the same as a Stinger GT (3800-3900 lbs). As I said before, it seats four adults comfortably (actually way more comfortably in the back seat than the Stinger), has most of the same creature comforts, and is on a similar level of straight-line performance with similar performance equipment. It is, for all intents and purposes, in the exact same segment as the Stinger GT, although to be fair, they are not competitors, because the SS ceased production and all the remaining inventory had sold before the Stinger went on sale.

So, very comparable cars, and once again, the SS does not have any problem with suspension damping in particular or bounciness in general. (The ride and handling balance on that car was one of my favorite features, right up there with the big V8 and the manual transmission.)

my past Camaro 2ss had tranny issues at 8k miles never gm again.
I'm not sure how that is relevant to this discussion. You're talking about a different GM model and about an aspect of that model that has nothing to do with the suspension equipment and tuning. My SS never went in for warranty work, FWIW.

Plus i have not bought the stinger and you have which makes you a Kia
fanboy.
Genius.
Wow. This is a gold mine right here. Two things:

1. Whether you are a fanboy has nothing to do with whether you've purchased a product. You purchased a Camaro and are clearly not a GM fanboy. And there are plenty of kids in their moms' basements who have never owned a product but are a fanboy of it. (And before you jump down my throat, no, I'm not saying you live in your mom's basement, I'm merely using the example to illustrate the definition.)

2. If you don't even own a Stinger, how can you be so sure that one, the Stinger's handling is fine, and two, it meets the definition of a GT car? Have you even gone on a test drive? Of course, whether or not you have, a test drive is, what, 30 minutes if the salesman is feeling nice? How can you get a sense of what the car is like on all road surfaces on a daily basis in 30 minutes? It seems to me that you have little or no real world experience with the Stinger and you're basing your impressions primarily on what you've read on the internet.

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT2 AWD
I would like to know suspension part differences from region to region, if any, and find out if any region has a better setup that we could adapt to ours.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
Saab 9-5 AERO. Stinger GT on order
That's a nice red thefultonhow. I ordered a red Stinger but when the watered down burgundy showed up I swapped it for a white showroom car. Yo mldavis2, Fittipaldi is on a TV commercial. TV is not real. The suspension is too soft and for those of you who don;t recognize that shortcoming, it only means you are not driving the car at speeds or on roads that require the extra control. For those of us that do, the suspension is too soft. Good enough for you, no problem. Not good enough for me and I'm going to keep moaning and complaining until a software patch is made available.

Mr Gt2

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Gt2
Yea I have a patch of road like that by me in pa and the same thing with the different pavement changes in a long sweeping turn and I noticed when in comfort mode I get that loose rear feeling but in sport it feels way better have u tried that part in sport mode because that does the trick for me

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
18 GT2
That's a nice red thefultonhow. I ordered a red Stinger but when the watered down burgundy showed up I swapped it for a white showroom car.
I actually wanted the blue on the SS, but the dealers with blue didn't want to cut a deal and/or wanted to play games. The dealer I got mine from was willing to deal but didn't have the blue, so I settled for my second choice color. Didn't have to settle on the Stinger. I love the Micro Blue.

Yea I have a patch of road like that by me in pa and the same thing with the different pavement changes in a long sweeping turn and I noticed when in comfort mode I get that loose rear feeling but in sport it feels way better have u tried that part in sport mode because that does the trick for me
Yes, I've tried Sport, and Sport actually seems worse than Comfort to me. Not sure if it's due to the way I'm driving in the different modes or if the damping is mismatched in Sport, but it's super bouncy in Sport but a little more controlled in Comfort. I also need to be really light on the throttle in low speed turns in Sport or the tail starts to come out. My guess is I'll like that better on the autocross course, but it can be a bit disconcerting on the road.

Reactions
State
AL
Country
United States
I actually wanted the blue on the SS, but the dealers with blue didn't want to cut a deal and/or wanted to play games. The dealer I got mine from was willing to deal but didn't have the blue, so I settled for my second choice color. Didn't have to settle on the Stinger. I love the Micro Blue.

Yes, I've tried Sport, and Sport actually seems worse than Comfort to me. Not sure if it's due to the way I'm driving in the different modes or if the damping is mismatched in Sport, but it's super bouncy in Sport but a little more controlled in Comfort. I also need to be really light on the throttle in low speed turns in Sport or the tail starts to come out. My guess is I'll like that better on the autocross course, but it can be a bit disconcerting on the road.
I suppose the experiences you've had with your GT are different than with mine. I have AWD on the staggered 19's. Never experienced the tail going out under throttle in sport mode at low speeds and I feel that comfort and sport modes are vastly different.

I can't say that I share the opinions and experiences of some of other owners on the forums. Does AWD really make that big of a difference over rear wheel?

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
18 GT2
I suppose the experiences you've had with your GT are different than with mine. I have AWD on the staggered 19's. Never experienced the tail going out under throttle in sport mode at low speeds
Yeah, you wouldn't have that experience on AWD. AWD is going to tend much more towards understeer than oversteer; with RWD, you can make the tail come out with more throttle to counter the natural tendency of a heavy car to understeer, but you can't do that as easily with AWD. I actually bought a RWD car because I wanted the ability to get oversteer when I stand on the throttle in autocross or on a track day. Having driven both on an autocross course, it's a totally different and much more fun experience autocrossing with RWD rather than AWD.

With that said, on my SS, I would put it in Track mode on the autocross course and it was very tail happy, but it was a lot better behaved in Sport and Performance modes on the street. Seems like the Stinger's stability control is calibrated to be much less invasive in Sport mode and thus be more like Track mode on the SS, and that in combination with the more aggressive throttle mapping in Sport means the rear end can get a bit more touchy than I'm used to. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it does seem that I might have to use Custom mode with Sport powertrain mapping but Comfort stability control mapping, if that's possible, in order to rein in the tail-happiness. Or I could just be careful, since I know what I'm dealing with now.

and I feel that comfort and sport modes are vastly different.
Oh, they are, for sure. When I said "Sport actually seems worse than Comfort to me," I was talking solely about suspension performance. There are many things that are different between the two modes, which is what makes an apples-to-apples comparison a bit harder. That was more my point when I was saying that I'm not sure if the change was solely due to suspension mapping or whether there were other variables I was dealing with.

Reactions
State
AL
Country
United States
Hmm, I have a base GT and I don't think I have the adaptive suspension equipped. The suspension feels the same to me in both comfort and sport.

Mr Gt2

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Gt2
Wow that's crazy just out of curiosity is yours rwd because mine is awd with the winter package so I 18's instead and I'm thinking they could be a different setup for the awd

Reactions
State
AL
Country
United States
Wow that's crazy just out of curiosity is yours rwd because mine is awd with the winter package so I 18's instead and I'm thinking they could be a different setup for the awd
I have the limited edition Sunset yellow awd. It came with the 19s while the other AWD ones came with 18s.

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
18 GT2
Hmm, I have a base GT and I don't think I have the adaptive suspension equipped. The suspension feels the same to me in both comfort and sport.
Yeah, I just looked on Kia's site and the adaptive dampers are only on GT1 and GT2.

BTW, are you in Annapolis, MD? Your profile is showing as Annapolis, AL. I could have sworn I set my profile to MD when I signed up, but it was AL when I checked, so I think there might be a bug in the forum software that doesn't save it properly.

Reactions
State
AL
Country
United States
Yeah, I just looked on Kia's site and the adaptive dampers are only on GT1 and GT2.

BTW, are you in Annapolis, MD? Your profile is showing as Annapolis, AL. I could have sworn I set my profile to MD when I signed up, but it was AL when I checked, so I think there might be a bug in the forum software that doesn't save it properly.
Yes, Annapolis, MD! I've neglected to fix it.