Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Would you let your 16y/o drive your Stinger?

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
My son just recently got his provisional license and he's begging me to let him take the Stinger to and from school. What are you thoughts on letting a 16y/o drive your car?[scratch]

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
If he's dependable and you don't worry about door dings then I can't see the harm. I would suggest getting a dash cam in case anything happens.

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
My son just recently got his provisional license and he's begging me to let him take the Stinger to and from school. What are you thoughts on letting a 16y/o drive your car?[scratch]
I think it depends on whether you have the GT or not. I think the GT would be very dangerous in a 16 year old's hands. Then again, the regular Stinger isn't exactly slow either. I haven't driven the regular one, but for me, in anything but eco mode, this car begs to be driven very fast, and it's deceptively fast too. On the other hand, if you have all the safety features in yours, maybe then? What other options do you have?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
I think it depends on whether you have the GT or not. I think the GT would be very dangerous in a 16 year old's hands. Then again, the regular Stinger isn't exactly slow either. I haven't driven the regular one, but for me, in anything but eco mode, this car begs to be driven very fast, and it's deceptively fast too. On the other hand, if you have all the safety features in yours, maybe then? What other options do you have?

Sorry, I just realized your username includes "GT". So I suspect my point about the 2.0 is moot.

TurboTx

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
How about letting him drive, after setting up the teen driver features in UVO? That could give you some peace of mind.

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT1
Tell him to start working towards purchasing a Kia RIO before he climbs his way up to the Stinger.[rofl]

Seriously though, the Stinger is a fast and BIG car, I would be very nervous to have a young driver behind the wheel of something with this much hp.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
No, I wouldn't, especially with the V6 GTS.
The Stinger is your achievement, it's not an achievement of your 16 year old son.

For a car to drive to school - I would suggest a VW Golf or similar [:)]

Reactions
State
OK
Country
United States
What I Drive
Kia Rio
IMO a 16 year old shouldn't be driving a $50K Kia as a first car, but that's just my view.

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Kia Stinger GT
How about letting him drive, after setting up the teen driver features in UVO? That could give you some peace of mind.
Is there a teen driving feature on the UVO? I haven't even downloaded the app yet.

TurboTx

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
CO
Country
United States
Is there a teen driving feature on the UVO? I haven't even downloaded the app yet.
Well there's speed limit alert, and also geofencing and curfew alerts. That's one way to keep an 'eye' on what's going on while they're behind the wheel.

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Kia Stinger GT
Well there's speed limit alert, and also geofencing and curfew alerts. That's one way to keep an 'eye' on what's going on while they're behind the wheel.
How does it know where the car is at since we don't have SIM support here?

OP
G
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Thread Starter #12
Thanks everyone for the input.

We have two cars, but my wife uses the minivan for our other kids. Which only leaves my Stinger. Since my car just sits at work all day, the plan was for him to drop me off at work in the mornings and my wife to pick me up in the afternoons.

In addition to attending high school, my son also attends a community college in the evenings for early college credits so its more convenient for him to have car then to make multiple trips.

Thanks for the pointer, I'd have to look into this.

Stingin' Away

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Dayton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT
Thanks everyone for the input.

We have two cars, but my wife uses the minivan for our other kids. Which only leaves my Stinger. Since my car just sits at work all day, the plan was for him to drop me off at work in the mornings and my wife to pick me up in the afternoons.

In addition to attending high school, my son also attends a community college in the evenings for early college credits so its more convenient for him to have car then to make multiple trips.

Thanks for the pointer, I'd have to look into this.
If he's into cars, I would be hesitant. If he doesn't know a thing about cars and it's not a hobby, I don't see why not. If it was me, I would buy a $3k car that was reliable and give it to him. I never drove my old man's G8 when he bought it 9 years ago unless it was to get gas and let me tell you.... I FLOORED IT EVERYWHERE I WENT [cool]

Be cautious and have good insurance

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
My 15 year old has a learner's permit right now and will be able to get his license in July. I have no problems with him driving it to go to the store or wherever teenagers go nowadays. Taking it for a whole day to school won't happen. For that he'll have to buy his own car.

You can set the car up to send you alerts if certain speeds are exceeded and if it's driven at certain times.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
How does it know where the car is at since we don't have SIM support here?
It uses the GPS sensor to report to the UVO app.