Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

How to install Factory Wireless Charger on your Stinger

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Rejoice Stinger community, because alas I can confirm that the Wireless Charging feature (originally removed from the US Spec Stinger) is fully compatible with our cars and it is a PLUG AND PLAY afair.

Here is the step by step guide. I did everything from the Passenger side as it allowed me to have more room and not have to deal with the steering wheel.

These are the tools you need to perform the installation.

1x Ratchet
1x 10mm Socket
1x Rachet extension
1x Plastic panel remover tool (I used two just in case I need more prying power)
1x Phillips Screw driver
1x Flat head Screw driver

The first thing you need to do is remove the center console. This will be a great opportunity to swap over to the KDM version. :sneaky:

I did for this installation

Follow the steps given by Stinger GT and Me's video (Link below)

[video=youtube;eTczElThfzc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTczElThfzc[/video]

Once you have removed the center console. You can now proceed with the removal of the shifter (I have a GT2 so this is for the Stinger equipped with the shift by wire option models with out the shift by wire will differ)

There are four (6) screws that need to be undone in order to remove the shifter.
These are three phillips

And three 10mm socket

Once the screws are undone you can now move the shifter freely. Go ahead and unplug it from the harness.

With the shifter out of the way you can now proceed to unscrew the two (2) screws holding down the trim around the climate control.

Once the screws are removed, you can now proceed with the removal of the beauty panels located on each side of the center console (sorry forgot to take a photo of the drivers side).

These two panels are held by three (3) clips, that can be seen from the inside of the console.
Using your plastic panel remover tool go ahead and pry the panel out, I had to help myself by pressing on the from the inside out. It made it eaiser. Once you get the first clip out the other two come out easy.

NOTE: Be VERY careful when prying the panel out, it is very thin and can bend easy.

Drivers Side

Passenger side

With the beauty panels removed. You can proceed with the removal of the climate control. No tools required for this step, only brute force and caring.

This is the tricky bit of the hole process, as I spent a considerable amount of time testing different amounts of force to remove it and found that it requires a considerable amount to push it out.

The best way I found to remove the climate control panel, without causing any damage to the buttons or knobs was by pressing down right the two knobs are (on the black part not the knob it self)

You need to press down hard on both side at the same time.

NOTE: See position of the climate control panel on the picture for direction reference.

Now that the son of a gun climate control panel is unhooked, go ahead and unplug it from the harness.

Now we move on to the actual removal of the console.

On this step you will removing five (5) screws, all of them 10mm socket

One right next to where shifter is mounted

Two inside the console itself (there is a small carpet you will need to lift in order to access the screws)

Once on the drivers side (behind the beauty panel)

Once on the passenger side (behind the beauty panel)

With the screws undone, you will need to disconect the harness for the rear climate control and 12volt plug and USB from the console

Once the harness is disconnected MOVE the hole console backwards just a little bit, just enough to have enough clearance to remove the glossy trim that goes around the climate control panel.

With the console moved and with enough clearance insert you plastic panel removal tool on the back clip. Remember there is one on each side (passenger and driver)

Passenger

Driver

Now go ahead and remove the panel

Next up is the removal of the tray itself, this is the last step and the easiest one as there are no screws to worry about.

Firstly you will notice that the tray is held down only by clips and a small hook on the rear.

To remove the tray somply place your hand underneath the tray and push UP.

Once the tray pops out go ahead and pull it towards you, but be careful not to pull to much as there is a harness that needs to be unplugged.

Proceed to unplug the two harnesses on the tray.

Now grab your wireless charging tray and plug it in.

Make sure the hooks on the rear of the tray are IN properly

Now press down on the front of the charger until it clips

Looking good so far:geek:

Now you can start putting every back together. Basically following the same steps in reverse order.
NOTE: When putting back the console make sure these hooks go back in correctly other wise you will have fitment issues

Another observation worth noting is the beauty panels also have a hook that needs to sit properly

After everything is put back together you will need to turn on you car and navigate on the center screen on your dash to the Settings menu, then scroll down to Convenience and scroll down until you see Wireless Charging. If that option is enabeled Congratulations!! You have succesfully installed your wireless charger.[biggrin][rockon]

Hope this helps anyone looking to have this amazing feature enabled on their Stinger.

Finished product with the KDM Console

Rob

OP
robz32

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Thread Starter #2
Last edited:
Reactions
State
LA
Country
United States
Wow man this is incredible, thanks for the thorough write up.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Sweet [MENTION=321]robz32[/MENTION]. Well done! and thanks for the info! What was the part number for the charger alone?

Kale808

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
HI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Kia Stinger GT
You're the man rob! Thanks taking time to write the installs.

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
Nice work buddy.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
Another reason why I love the resource on this site and the staff team here. You guys make it so easy for us to find great information, really appreciate it.[twothumb]

VegasStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
NV
Country
United States
Very nicely done.

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
Awesome, that looks like a factory fit!

Reactions
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
Kia Stinger GT
That came out perfect. Thanks for the write up.

OP
robz32

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Thread Starter #11
OP
robz32

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Thread Starter #12
Thank you everyone.

It really was a perfect factory fit. Functionality is also as intended from the factory, and the best of all is that there are no modifications required to make it work.

KiaFan

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
Excellent job Rob, that?s how it should have came to us from the factory. Does the wireless charger work pretty fast?

OP
robz32

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Thread Starter #14
Thanks Zach, agreed that's how it should've come from the factory. Have not paid attention to that. Will do a test today.

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT1
Really appreciate you doing this writeup, I'll be doing this mod around summer.

ATXStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Great job!

RPMTRADE

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
South Korea
Thanks robz32.

Thanks robz32.

Hello.
It is jongki hong living in Korea.
I will upload a lot of good information.

OP
robz32

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Thread Starter #18
Really appreciate you doing this writeup, I'll be doing this mod around summer.
Awesome!!....let us know when you tackle it. You will not be disappointed.

OP
robz32

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Thread Starter #19
Excellent job Rob, that?s how it should have came to us from the factory. Does the wireless charger work pretty fast?
Alright I did a test yesterday and I can confirm that the wireless charger is Fast Charging compatible, meaning that it charged my phone from 50% to 100% in just 20 minutes.

KiaFan

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
Alright I did a test yesterday and I can confirm that the wireless charger is Fast Charging compatible, meaning that it charged my phone from 50% to 100% in just 20 minutes.
Very nice Rob. Have you tried streaming music while it's wireless charging to see if it maintains the charge?