Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Octane booster really work or a waste of money?

Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
I see this question pop up alot and I know it can be a waste of money. But what is everyone else's thought on using octane booster for the occasional track use?

Reactions
State
NJ
Country
United States
Even really expensive octane boosters don't really do too much to increase octane levels.

Bear

Reactions
State
VA
Country
United States
Yes. They do work, but I wouldn?t waste money by consistently using them. There are a number of debates on if they work or not, but you can watch a guy on YouTube who dyno?d his car with and without. He did several dynos and in the same conditions and saw an increase.

I?ve used them in the past to prevent detonation on one of my supercharged cars before it was properly tuned. Without it, I was getting minor detonation and with it, I wasn?t getting any detonation. I ended up using cam2 instead, but you can?t run lead based fuel through the Stinger cause you?ll destroy your cats and probably cause your ecu to go whack.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
[MENTION=491]Bear[/MENTION] can you share a link to that video?

OP
PSIaddict
Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
Thread Starter #5
Yes. They do work, but I wouldn?t waste money by consistently using them. There are a number of debates on if they work or not, but you can watch a guy on YouTube who dyno?d his car with and without. He did several dynos and in the same conditions and saw an increase.

I?ve used them in the past to prevent detonation on one of my supercharged cars before it was properly tuned. Without it, I was getting minor detonation and with it, I wasn?t getting any detonation. I ended up using cam2 instead, but you can?t run lead based fuel through the Stinger cause you?ll destroy your cats and probably cause your ecu to go whack.
Thank you! Would be interested in watching the video if you have the link.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
If you're not tuned there is no reason to run a octane booster. Stick with premium.

Some of the octane boosters out there are known to foul spark plugs.