Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Stinger reliability

Reactions
State
AL
Country
United States
What has owner's experience been with the Stinger as far as reliability goes? How are the first 6 months stacking up for folks?

The 2.0T? The 3.3T?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Kia Stinger GT
What has owner's experience been with the Stinger as far as reliability goes? How are the first 6 months stacking up for folks?

The 2.0T? The 3.3T?

3.3T, perfect as can be. I listed a few minor complaints on the quirks and issues thread.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Audi A4

The 2.0T? The 3.3T?

My GT2, AWD is about 10 weeks old, has about 2400 miles on it, and (other than for parking sensors which don't always self-initialize) has been very reliable.

Unfortunately, KIA's "premium" customer service has been terrible... !

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
Two weeks of ownership on the GT and it already has 500 miles. Been extremely happy with the purchase.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
about a month and a half into ownership and so far it has been good. 2400 miles marks the odometer, and the only issue I've had is the fader moving to rear speakers by itself.

OP
sinrule
Reactions
State
AL
Country
United States
Thread Starter #6
Good to hear that no one is experiencing serious issues with a brand new platform.

Look forward to getting my premium next week.

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
My GT2, AWD is about 10 weeks old, has about 2400 miles on it, and (other than for parking sensors which don't always self-initialize) has been very reliable.

Unfortunately, KIA's "premium" customer service has been terrible... !
Were you the fella who was looking for a red Stinger with a tan interior a while back? Which color combo did you get?

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Audi A4
Were you the fella who was looking for a red Stinger with a tan interior a while back? Which color combo did you get?
The dealer had told me a gray interior was available with the red exterior, but this proved to be wrong. My first choice would have been a beige or tan interior, but only black is available with the red exterior, so I ended up with black.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Singapore
2.0L Stinger coming up to 1,000kms, done the first oil service and all is good except for an issue with the left headlight which always blinks on/off whenever the engine restarts after ISG kicks in. A little annoying at night when its really obvious, the dealer said they would check with Korea on it.

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
The dealer had told me a gray interior was available with the red exterior, but this proved to be wrong. My first choice would have been a beige or tan interior, but only black is available with the red exterior, so I ended up with black.
Congrats with your purchase! Sorry to hear you didn't get the interior you wanted but hopefully you're happy with the black interior. I'm hoping there's more color combo options for the 2019 MY without having to get a special edition version.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
Third week of ownership, loving this car more each day.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Audi A4
Congrats with your purchase! Sorry to hear you didn't get the interior you wanted but hopefully you're happy with the black interior. I'm hoping there's more color combo options for the 2019 MY without having to get a special edition version.
Thanks! So far, I am, as it's nicer than most black interiors I've seen. However, one of my main concerns is how hot it gets in summer weather, so It will be a while before I know about this and how effective the air conditioning is in hot weather. With temperatures ranging mostly between 45 degrees and 75 degrees, the car's climate system has been excellent.

Stopped by my KIA dealer the other day and they had a yellow Stinger on display...I like it, though this one also has a black interior.

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
It might be possible to leave the sunroof cracked a bit and the side windows cracked to allow airflow up and out if there's no chance of rain. Cars can get to over 140?F inside which is hard on the plastics and rubber moldings.

OP
sinrule
Reactions
State
AL
Country
United States
Thread Starter #14
Does anyone know if there is a premium price for parts on the stinger or how much the services are going to cost? Is the 15k and 30k mile services cost the same as the other Kia's? Service department didn't exactly answer my questions to my satisfaction.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Does anyone know if there is a premium price for parts on the stinger or how much the services are going to cost? Is the 15k and 30k mile services cost the same as the other Kia's? Service department didn't exactly answer my questions to my satisfaction.

Yes there's going to be a premium especially on the brakes.

OP
sinrule
Reactions
State
AL
Country
United States
Thread Starter #16
Hmm, similar in price to Audi parts, or are we still below that price point? (Coming from an Audi A5)

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Hmm, similar in price to Audi parts, or are we still below that price point? (Coming from an Audi A5)

I don't think Kia can ever charge Audi service prices.

OP
sinrule
Reactions
State
AL
Country
United States
Thread Starter #18
I don't think Kia can ever charge Audi service prices.
That's a relief.

The only two things that I can see such will cost me a ton so far are the performance tires and brakes.

1170 for a set of staggered Pilot Sport 4s. Yikes.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Audi A4
That's a relief.

The only two things that I can see such will cost me a ton so far are the performance tires and brakes.

1170 for a set of staggered Pilot Sport 4s. Yikes.

When I checked prices on The Tire Rack a couple of months ago, a set of Pilot Sport 4 tires was under $1000 and I think so was the 4s.

Looks to me that routine maintenance on the Stinger should be minimal and reasonably inexpensive, though I have not looked into things such as replacing the brake pads. On my Audi A4 the rotors had to be replaced with the pads which was a very expensive proposition. Hopefully, the rotors on the Stinger are thick enough that they can be turned at least once and not have to be replaced when the pads are replaced.

OP
sinrule
Reactions
State
AL
Country
United States
Thread Starter #20
I just checked tirerack yesterday and the Sport 4s seem to have ballooned in price. I guess it's because spring is coming and demand is increasing. Since I live in MD, I'll have to get a second set of winter wheels/tires, this will allow me to buy new tires on the off season so they're cheaper.

Yes, replacing brakes on my A5 set me back 800 just in parts and then another 200 for labor. The maintenance schedule for my A5 by 140k miles was also pretty extensive... It was time to let it go. I'll never own another Audi over 80k miles again... But I will own another Audi at some point. I really loved the A5.