Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

computer reset steps?

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 Kia Optima SX, 1972 911 Targa
What are the steps to reset the computer on our stingers? Are there different steps for the 4 cylinder vs 6 cylinder cars?

Reactions
State
KS
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 Micro Blue
What are the steps to reset the computer on our stingers? Are there different steps for the 4 cylinder vs 6 cylinder cars?
Resetting the ECU or Infotainment?

OP
S
Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #3
I want to reset my climate control as I'm still dealing with cold air coming into the foot well on the driver's side when the heat is on and the air flow is split defrost / foot.

Reactions
State
KS
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 Micro Blue
I want to reset my climate control as I'm still dealing with cold air coming into the foot well on the driver's side when the heat is on and the air flow is split defrost / foot.
Do you have the auto defogging or automatic ventilation enabled?

OP
S
Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #5
I'm pretty sure they are both off.

Reactions
State
KY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Premium
[MENTION=307]sbrownnw[/MENTION] try this before you reset anything. Pulling the battery cable should reset everything.

OP
S
Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #7
All 3 settings are off / disabled now that are mentioned on page 4-149 of the manual (Auto Defogging off, Automatic Ventilation off and Smart Ventilation off). I will see if that makes any difference while driving later today and tomorrow.

Reactions
State
KY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Premium
All 3 settings are off / disabled now that are mentioned on page 4-149 of the manual (Auto Defogging off, Automatic Ventilation off and Smart Ventilation off). I will see if that makes any difference while driving later today and tomorrow.
Keep us posted.

OP
S
Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #9
If that doesn't work, do I disconnect the battery for 30 minutes to do a reset?

Reactions
State
KY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Premium
If that doesn't work, do I disconnect the battery for 30 minutes to do a reset?
I think that should do it. Might want to leave the doors slightly ajar or push the horn a few times to discharge any remaining charge in the system.

Reactions
State
LA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2010 Kia Forte
If you do disconnect the battery make sure you disconnect the negative cable. It's much safer.

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
Does not the climate reset work? If you pull the battery cables you will have to reset everything in the car, not just the Climate.

OP
S
Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #13
Does not the climate reset work? If you pull the battery cables you will have to reset everything in the car, not just the Climate.
I could pull all associated climate control fuses, but the settings mentioned above do not do a full climate control system. I was wondering if some kind of heater / cooling vent door is stuck and a computer or climate control reset might fix that.

OP
S
Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #14
So, it is a little better after disabling Automatic Ventilation. It still seems cold in the cabin and mostly the foot well as I need to run the temp at 72-76 with fan speed 2, fresh air mode and split defrost / foot well on a 40 deg morning. This is the first car that I've had like this as all my other ones I would run 68-70 temp with everything else set the same. It almost seems like the AC is on all the time. Is that true for this car? A quick look at the engine bay with the car running didn't show a compressor with a belt that wasn't moving when the AC was off on the climate control panel.

Reactions
State
KY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger Premium
So, it is a little better after disabling Automatic Ventilation. It still seems cold in the cabin and mostly the foot well as I need to run the temp at 72-76 with fan speed 2, fresh air mode and split defrost / foot well on a 40 deg morning. This is the first car that I've had like this as all my other ones I would run 68-70 temp with everything else set the same. It almost seems like the AC is on all the time. Is that true for this car? A quick look at the engine bay with the car running didn't show a compressor with a belt that wasn't moving when the AC was off on the climate control panel.
The A/C does seem to be on and I think it has something to do with pulling in fresh air.

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
Am I reading these comments right? The a/c is on all the time? REALLY??? hhmmm... I wonder if that's why the gas mileage isn't better???

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
No, you can turn the A/C off by using the control on the panel. That will take it out of Auto climate mode. It will run in the winter because the A/C helps dehumidify the air for defrosting and defogging when in those modes. The manual also tells you to run the A/C periodically to keep seals lubed if you turn it off frequently. Modern compressors take about 5HP to turn, so it isn't much, and not as much as a strong headwind.

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
No, you can turn the A/C off by using the control on the panel. That will take it out of Auto climate mode. It will run in the winter because the A/C helps dehumidify the air for defrosting and defogging when in those modes. The manual also tells you to run the A/C periodically to keep seals lubed if you turn it off frequently. Modern compressors take about 5HP to turn, so it isn't much, and not as much as a strong headwind.
Thanks. That's what I thought. This sounds like an auto mode issue and the reset everyone is talking about makes more sense now.

OP
S
Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #19
So I did a negative terminal battery disconnect for 35 min over the weekend. That seems to have made the most noticeable difference but the foot well is still cold when temp set to 70 deg, split defrost and foot well and fan on 2. I never use auto mode. Seems to be a fresh air / AC issue.