Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

RaceChip GTS Black Initial Review

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
Was the plugs hard to replace? I saw the YouTube video and it looks like a pita! Any tips? That's probably be the only thing stopping me from getting the chip.
I just reduced the gaps in my OEM plugs tonight in anticipation of receiving the chip, it is a pain and it took me about 2 hours of time actually at the car. If you do it, remember where the short and long bolts go that look the same until you go to put them back!

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
I notice on the YouTube video theres green paint on the bolts. Is that to see if you've tempered with it and maybe kia can/will void your warranty?

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
That is correct, they will not void the warranty for that. They will however not be held responsible for any issues related with ignition or caused by the replacement of spark plugs.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
They will or they won't? I'm planning on putting in hks and if theres a problem put the old spark plugs and take it to the dealer..knock on wood and hope theres np problem.

That is correct, they will not void the warranty for that. They will however not be held responsible for any issues related with ignition or caused by the replacement of spark plugs.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
they will not void it.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Day 5 with the m45iL?s and the car is running great!

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Germany
What I Drive
Stinger GT
UPDATED RECOMMENDATION (May 22)

Until now, we discussed that the Kia Stinger stock spark plugs can have issues in combination with bad fuel quality. Now we have seen an issue with stock spark plugs in combination with 94 octane (see posts above). For this reason we adapt our recommendation.
We do not want our customers to have any hassle. We are aiming for a 0% issue rate and 100% customer satisfaction (I know we have some more way to go when we are talking about the Kia Stinger). Accordingly, we now start highly recommending using performance aftermarket spark plugs instead of the Kia Stinger stock spark plugs.

Quite a few RaceChip customers re-gapped their stock spark plugs to 0.024-0.028 (from stock 0.034-0.036) and report good performance. None of them had any issues so far. So, re-gapping the stock spark plugs might be a good alternative to replacing them. However, we did not extensively test the re-gapped spark plugs in the US, so our official recommendation will be replacing the spark plugs.

Notice: This recommendation affects only RaceChip performance upgrades and not our throttle tuning XLR. RaceChip XLR does NOT require replacing or re-gapping the spark plugs.

We apologize for this inconvenience and we are sorry for the fact that we changed our recommendation 180 degree compared to the beginning. Some of you will be disappointed now. We'll do our best to win your trust back. The issues reflect only a small single-digit percentage area of all Kia Stinger owners with a RaceChip. Though, we take it very serious. RaceChip is offering products for 4,000 car models and this is the first time that users are dealing with poor spark plug quality.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
So I got my racechip. Question...I want to wait to put in the hks next week when I have more time, can I run the stock plugs on sport mode with 91 octane?

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
So I got my racechip. Question...I want to wait to put in the hks next week when I have more time, can I run the stock plugs on sport mode with 91 octane?
I'm not the authority but I'd say that you're probably fine that way. Just don't spend the weekend at WOT. LOL

Worst case scenario you might blow out a plug that you're just going to replace next week anyway. LMBO

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
All I can say is WOW! The install took literally 20mins! No cel so for. I got it on sport and it feels great! Shifting some how is smoother and power is good even in sport. Even the engine on high speed feels smoother. Im at 1000miles and the engine seems louder than when I first got the car but its smooth as butter now. I didn't really go wot on it. I'll let the car "learn" and get use to the power delivery first lol. But so far I'm happy with my RC.[rockon]

Gatorz

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT1
So I just ordered the Racechip GTS Black and I'm wondering what the latest consensus is on plugs?

Here's my understanding of options (all assume 93+ octane fuel in the US):

1) No change. Low performance tune. Chance of plugs fouling is high.

2) Gap OEM to ~.026-.028" . No misfires for 1000+ miles? Can run more aggressive tune.

3) HKS plugs (HKS 50003-M40IL) swapped in. Can run aggressive tune. No data on longevity.

Cost aside, my understand suggests that running the HKS plugs would be prudent. Why go through all the work to adjust the gap only to have to go back later?

On another note, I emailed customer service and asked for the "aggressive" tune and mentioned that I would ensure to have properly gapped plugs. Has anyone had experience with this software change?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Agree about the Plug change, I don't know what is involved, I am still an amature? however, it seems the change would avoid any future problems...

col5ter

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Hey guys,

This past weekend I installed the Race Chip GTS Black along with the HKS plus (M40iL).

I have been getting a CEL, P0033. "Turbo Charger Bypass Valve Control Circuit."

I checked all the connections + hoses (from the harness or intake manifold) and doesn't look like I've missed anything. But maybe I'll follow another member and just disconnect the harness and reconnect. Quite possibly I should do another good check with a flashflight at all the hose connections.

I installed this in my fathers car and he had filled the car with 89 Octane the day before install by accident. Could this be the sole source of the CEL? I'm going to put some octane booster in there until that tank of 89 is used up. Only 94 will be used from this point on...

Also, on the GTS Black... the "+" and "-" buttons that flip through all the settings. I'm not sure which # to use. Should I start with 5 or 6... etc.

Thanks in advance.

Reactions
Country
United States
Hey guys,

This past weekend I installed the Race Chip GTS Black along with the HKS plus (M40iL).

I have been getting a CEL, P0033. "Turbo Charger Bypass Valve Control Circuit."

I checked all the connections + hoses (from the harness or intake manifold) and doesn't look like I've missed anything. But maybe I'll follow another member and just disconnect the harness and reconnect. Quite possibly I should do another good check with a flashflight at all the hose connections.

I installed this in my fathers car and he had filled the car with 89 Octane the day before install by accident. Could this be the sole source of the CEL? I'm going to put some octane booster in there until that tank of 89 is used up. Only 94 will be used from this point on...

Also, on the GTS Black... the "+" and "-" buttons that flip through all the settings. I'm not sure which # to use. Should I start with 5 or 6... etc.

Thanks in advance.
If you're running lower octane make sure you run mappings 5 or lower until you use up the 89 fuel.

col5ter

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Thanks, will do.

I guess that level of octane (89) would be enough to throw the CEL?
Is that particular code of any significance? P0033?

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Germany
What I Drive
Stinger GT
Thanks, will do.

I guess that level of octane (89) would be enough to throw the CEL?
Is that particular code of any significance? P0033?
I don't think that 89 octane should throw an error code.

Did you check for following?

col5ter

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
I don't think that 89 octane should throw an error code.

Did you check for following?

I will pull the harness connectors apart and check them all. Will report back.

col5ter

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
All the connectors were positioned properly, so that wasn't the issue. I disconnected the entire Race Chip harness and put all the stock wires back in their original positions. The engine light does not come back on but the engine has very little power. I'm pretty sure the Turbos are not running, there is very little to no boost. I was doing some reading and maybe the car is in some kind of safe mode? Is this something that I can reset? I'm pretty much at a loss here as to what I can do.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
If the car is on safe boost mode, that means that the ECU stopped receiving signal from one of the sensors you unplugged. Check for bent pins on the connectors.
Another symptom for a safe boost mode, is a boost leak. Check all your vacuum hoses and ensure they are properly attached and connected to the right places.

col5ter

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
I think I will bite the bullet here and pull the manifold off again. Not having to mess around with the spark plugs should make it a lot quicker. With the manifold off I can make sure I have everything back together properly. I actually hope I find something so I can solve this.

col5ter

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
I think I will bite the bullet here and pull the manifold off again. Not having to mess around with the spark plugs should make it a lot quicker. With the manifold off I can make sure I have everything back together properly. I actually hope I find something so I can solve this.
Pull the intake manifold off again, found nothing out of the ordinary. Ensured all hoses and connectors were good, pins, clamps etc. I guess it?s making a trip to the dealer. Yikes.