Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

RaceChip GTS Black Initial Review

Reactions
State
NJ
Country
United States
So I took the car out today for a long spin with the new Racechip Black installed. I haven?t regapped the plugs yet but I also didn?t experience any issues. I run 93 octane here in Canada and so far so good but I still might either replace the plugs or regap just to be on the safe side... In race mode selected on the chip and sport on the car it is a beast. Turbo lag is gone and it responds very quickly with a noticeable increase in power. I put approximately 500kms on today so stay tuned for long term results
Try a couple of WOT pulls in Sports mode.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Try a couple of WOT pulls in Sports mode.
I?m going to install the m45iL?s first otherwise it might blow the stock plugs right out lol

OP
E
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
Thread Starter #83
Up to about 400 miles with RaceChip in Race mode 24/7, and driving *really* aggressively. No problems at all! Pretty pleased so far.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Up to about 400 miles with RaceChip in Race mode 24/7, and driving *really* aggressively. No problems at all! Pretty pleased so far.
[MENTION=453]eliwu26[/MENTION] did you just do the regap or replace the plugs?

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
I?m at 1000 miles in race mode without doing anything with the plugs and I?ve had zero issues too. I run 94 octane fuel

OP
E
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
Thread Starter #86
[MENTION=453]eliwu26[/MENTION] did you just do the regap or replace the plugs?
I have the stock plugs gapped to 0.025".

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
So I just ordered the Racechip GTS Black and I'm wondering what the latest consensus is on plugs?

Here's my understanding of options (all assume 93+ octane fuel in the US):

1) No change. Low performance tune. Chance of plugs fouling is high.

2) Gap OEM to ~.026-.028" . No misfires for 1000+ miles? Can run more aggressive tune.

3) HKS plugs (HKS 50003-M40IL) swapped in. Can run aggressive tune. No data on longevity.

Cost aside, my understand suggests that running the HKS plugs would be prudent. Why go through all the work to adjust the gap only to have to go back later?

On another note, I emailed customer service and asked for the "aggressive" tune and mentioned that I would ensure to have properly gapped plugs. Has anyone had experience with this software change?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
I would love to test this product for the 3.3t version. I was thinking about buying the top gts black model.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
I started having spark plug blowout after 1000 miles or so... running 94 octane

I?m changing the plugs to m45iL?s

Reactions
State
MN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2

Post some pictures of the stock plugs when you swap them out. I'd like to see how bad they look.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT1 + Drive Wise

Bummer, that?s bad news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
So new m45iL?s are installed and so far so good... only a few hundred km so far though

Here?s a picture of the stock plugs using 94 octane - nice crack in # 4

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Thanks for sharing the pictures [MENTION=198]JonYYZ[/MENTION], lets hope [MENTION=444]RaceChip[/MENTION] updates the information on this forum so others won't got through the same problem.

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
Hi Jon - thanks for the update.

I'm curious about the performance of the engine now that you have the smaller gap and colder plugs under lower boost conditions. (not race mode) Does it idle and rev smoothly with the race chip off?

I don't plan to run in race mode and high boost conditions all the time and I would be concerned if I had to make a compromise to the engine performance to accommodate this situation.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Hi Jon - thanks for the update.

I'm curious about the performance of the engine now that you have the smaller gap and colder plugs under lower boost conditions. (not race mode) Does it idle and rev smoothly with the race chip off?

I don't plan to run in race mode and high boost conditions all the time and I would be concerned if I had to make a compromise to the engine performance to accommodate this situation.

I?ve been running sport mode on both the car and chip all afternoon with no issues- runs great so far

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
I?m hoping it was just the plugs and not the coils

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
usually its the spark plugs that will fail first. If the owners keep running the car in the manner (thinking it might go away, or its due to bad gas) with the plugs failing and the car sputtering then the coil will fail.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Was the plugs hard to replace? I saw the YouTube video and it looks like a pita! Any tips? That's probably be the only thing stopping me from getting the chip.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Was the plugs hard to replace? I saw the YouTube video and it looks like a pita! Any tips? That's probably be the only thing stopping me from getting the chip.
Not hard but it does take time and a little patience. The YouTube vid is helpful