Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Paint Correction, CQuartz UK and Carpro Reload

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger / 2017 Camaro SS
I had a little time on my hands this weekend so I finally got around to applying a ceramic coat onto my car.

First I washed and then clay barred the car.

I used a Porter Cable 7424 random orbital polisher with a Lake Country 5.5 inch orange cutting pad and Meguiar?s 105 cutting compound for the paint correction. I used a 5.5 inch black polishing pad with CarPro Essence to polish.

I applied two coats of CQuartz UK and then topped with a coat of CarPro Reload.. I?m very happy with the results.

This is my second vehicle doing this on. I have a black 2017 Camaro SS that I did this on 8 months ago the water still beads like crazy on. F670FB5A-4B80-41BA-A008-D439582E3A9D.jpg B4648A0B-28BF-46AF-8FAD-EF86C72C2B76.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
Just seen this post awesome job. What is clay barred if you don't mind me asking. Other cars must get blinded now. Certainly did a good job and must have taken a long time.

Cheers Phil

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT1
Impressive work! Can't wait until the weather starts getting warmer here so I can detail my car.

OP
ihatecats78
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #4
Just seen this post awesome job. What is clay barred if you don't mind me asking. Other cars must get blinded now. Certainly did a good job and must have taken a long time.

Cheers Phil
Thanks Phil.. lots of detailers use a clay bar to remove contaminants from the surface of the paint. It?s literally a special type of clay that can be purchased online. It?s a pain to use, but the results were very good. If I?m being honest, I?d say that it is a less important step when dealing with a new car.

ATXStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Carpro Reload is the real deal, I love the stuff.

Reactions
State
AL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Silver Kia Stinger GT
Damn dude looks beautiful.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT1 + Drive Wise
I?m blind now... thx for the glare lol... nice work my friend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
ihatecats78
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #8
2C4EFB4D-E94E-4CDB-BBB5-DF13A2A1DC48.jpg

I couldn?t resist adding one more..

OP
ihatecats78
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #10
Why are you posting a picture of yourself looking at a mirror?[grinking]

What's your process for detailing? Wash, Clay, Polish and sealant?
That's pretty much it. I've found that it really matters what products you wash with. I used Meguiars deep crystal car wash to remove dirt. Then I sprayed down with Iron-X to remove contaminates - then clay bar.

After that I used a medium cutting pad with Meguiar's 105 to remove swirls. Black polishing pad with CarPro Essence to polish. Then ceramic (CQuartz UK) followed by sealant (CarPro Reload). The best series I have seen that provides details on how to do it right are done by a guy named Junkman on YouTube. If you want to do it right, watch his videos, take notes, and watch them again. Production quality isn't great, but the guy really knows his stuff. See the link below for part 1 (of 4 I think):

[video=youtube_share;KP-eAddv2sk]https://youtu.be/KP-eAddv2sk[/video]

To have a shop do the work that I did on this car would probably be in the $1500 range. Having done it on two cars, I can tell you that they earn every penny if they do it right.

Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT AWD
Nice work!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
How long does this last? My detailer uses the same stuff,ncharges 300. Is it worth it? I don't have a garage :(

OP
ihatecats78
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #13
How long does this last? My detailer uses the same stuff,ncharges 300. Is it worth it? I don't have a garage :(
According to the CarPros website, this coating (if multiple layers are applied) should last about 2 years. I've had it on my Camaro for 8 months now and its still going strong.

Just my personal opinion... If your dealer is only charging $300, they aren't doing it right. The most important thing about this is paint correction to remove swirls/imperfections. If you or your dealer apply a ceramic coat on top of imperfect paint, those imperfections are just being locked in. To be completely honest, given a good paint correction, you can use whatever your favorite hydrophobic product is, and in theory - as long as you wash it carefully and re-wax/seal regularly, the paint should stay looking great.

Ceramic coats do not make your paint bulletproof. Anyone saying that it does is lying to you. Your paint can still be scratched. Your paint is still vulnerable to rock chips.

I personally use it, because I have a black car and I wash it all of the time. I typically go through touchless washes so that brushes/pads don't scratch the paint. The problem with touchless washes is that they use some pretty harsh chemicals to get all of the dirt off of your car without having to scrub. I have noticed cars that I haven't ceramic coated losing their beading properties after 2 or 3 washes. With ceramic coat, the Camaro has been through two dozen washes and the water still beads like the day I applied the coat.

OP
ihatecats78
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #14
So this weekend, I washed her and topped off previous work with a coat of Griot?s Best In Show Carniba wax..

Attachments

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
So this weekend, I washed her and topped off previous work with a coat of Griot's Best In Show Carniba wax..
Looks great bro, is that stuff good a repelling pollen? My car gets covered this time of the year since I park it outside.

OP
ihatecats78
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #16
Looks great bro, is that stuff good a repelling pollen? My car gets covered this time of the year since I park it outside.
Thanks! It's certainly better than without anything at all, but pollen is imbued with the devil's magic and is impossible to totally repel.

I have a thing called a California car duster (you can get it at Walmart) that gets the pollen (or dust) off like magic. Takes about 5 minutes to get the car spotless. I'd say that the coating/wax makes this process infinitely easier because of how slick the surface is.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
Thanks! It's certainly better than without anything at all, but pollen is imbued with the devil's magic and is impossible to totally repel.

I have a thing called a California car duster (you can get it at Walmart) that gets the pollen (or dust) off like magic. Takes about 5 minutes to get the car spotless. I'd say that the coating/wax makes this process infinitely easier because of how slick the surface is.
I've seen those before but have never used them, have to pick one up. How do you care for the duster after your sweep of the pollen?

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT1
So this weekend, I washed her and topped off previous work with a coat of Griot's Best In Show Carniba wax..
You know you've done a great job when the car looks wet even though its dry.[hihi]

OP
ihatecats78
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #19
I've seen those before but have never used them, have to pick one up. How do you care for the duster after your sweep of the pollen?
I usually just shake it off.. It seems to soak up dust and pollen and continue to clean for a long while. That said, the brush part has a removable cloth sleeve that can be washed in a washing machine. I want to say that you should avoid liquid fabric softener when washing, the same way one would when washing the towels/cloth used for vehicle washing.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States