Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Subwoofers not working?

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Does anyone else suspect that the two subwoofers under the front seats are not working at all?

I was listening to and feeling them for air movement and I feel no air movement nor hear any sound from them at all.

I checked the two multimedia fuses in the kick panel and the two amp fuses in the rear right side fuse panel, and they were all fine. I'm wondering if the subs simply don't work or were never hooked up properly.

I plan on getting the dealer to investigate.

Reactions
State
UT
Country
United States
What I Drive
stinger GT2
I've noticed the same thing.Even when the sound track has some deep bass. Nothing. I thought about calling the kia special phone #

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
I was wondering the same thing too. Really hard to tell if they are working.

OP
B
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Thread Starter #4
Ok.. turns out they ARE working. It's just that they only respond at very low frequencies... Like 70 hz to 30 hz. They seem to respond most strongly at 50 hz.

I ran some audio tests in the car and it turns out the system has well tuned cross overs. The subs don't respond to 80 hz and up and the door speakers don't respond below 60 but do hit 70 pretty solid.

If you put a price of paper on each sub you can confirm if it's working. However below 60 hz they are very obviously working.

I have a series of pure tone audio test tracks and polarity tests that I load ontoan iPod to test and tune the EQ by ear. If I set the bass at 8, the mid at 3, the Treble at 5, then these are as close to flat/equal as I can get it. Notably, the higher frequencies just won't respond as well likely due to under powered tweeters.

21333hz zero response, and yes I can hear 21333 hz
..16000hz
..13333hz
..10667hz
..8000hz. <--- 'Treble' appears to be centered here and has a 50% width of about 16khz to 3.3khz
..6667hz
..5333hz
..4000hz
..3333hz
..2667hz
..2000hz
..1667hz
..1333hz
..1000hz
..833hz
..667hz
..500hz <--- 'Mid' appears to be centered here and has a 50% width of about 1.7khz to 250hz
..417hz
..333hz
..250hz
..208hz
..167hz
..125hz
..110hz
..100hz
..90hz
..80hz
..70hz<--- 'Bass' appears to be centered here and has a 50% width of about 30 hz either way
..60hz
..50hz
..40hz
..30hz

I can make these audio tracks available via Google drive. They are free, simple tones with no copyright attached. Alternatively you can create your own at AudioCheck.net

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT1 + Drive Wise
They are truly ?sub?-woofers. Sub-bass is extremely muddy and not what most people expect; technically ?Sub?-bass frequencies are 60hz and below.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
City
Beavercreek
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
I found (on GT/base system):
Bass +6
Mid -8
Treble +1 (or +2)

Yields a good response (but with plenty of bass - because I play bass guitar. Classically trained, doncha' know. Led Zep/Who/RUSH, Yes, Genesis, etc.) to my ear...
(I used to sell car audio for Circuit City waaaaayyyy back in da' day... :D )

I agree, tweeters lack definition and clarity. Has anyone found out who makes the base audio system?
Bass is kinda' muddy as well.

OP
B
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Thread Starter #7
Kia

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
As mentioned elsewhere, it all depends on the signal source. If you are playing old tracks (example 50's and 60's on SiriusXM) there is virtually no bass going into the woofers. Switch to current pop and it will shake your seat.

Reactions
City
Beavercreek
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
ah.

I just might need to swap in some Boston Accoustics...