Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Stinger GT braking vibration

Reactions
State
WI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT
Ok guys. I just recently posted about the question about the deceleration related to the engine downshifting. Have another question for you. I just noticed today that the car sends a subtle vibration through the armrest when moving from a complete stop as I gently take my foot off the break. Initially I thought this was my cell phone on vibration mode and then realize my phone was in my pocket. Episodes have occurred just today after I got a car wash which makes me think it may be related to water in the brake pad. It occurs every time I release the break and move via idle. I drove for at least 30 Miles after the car wash, which I would think would be ample time to resolve any temporary water issues. Thoughts?

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
The car does some strange things if you are in Start/Stop mode and are creeping. The manual says not to do that. It's like it can't decide whether to shut off or not.

VegasStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
NV
Country
United States
Ok guys. I just recently posted about the question about the deceleration related to the engine downshifting. Have another question for you. I just noticed today that the car sends a subtle vibration through the armrest when moving from a complete stop as I gently take my foot off the break. Initially I thought this was my cell phone on vibration mode and then realize my phone was in my pocket. Episodes have occurred just today after I got a car wash which makes me think it may be related to water in the brake pad. It occurs every time I release the break and move via idle. I drove for at least 30 Miles after the car wash, which I would think would be ample time to resolve any temporary water issues. Thoughts?
Are you experiencing any braking performance issues? After reading your post, I went for short drive and didn't feel any vibrations from a stop.

OP
R
Reactions
State
WI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT
Thread Starter #4
I haven?t noticed any change in braking performance. There is just this audible and tactile vibration that I can feel when arm is against the armrest. It?s prolonged if I gradually take my foot off the brake pedal, which makes me think it?s somethibg to do with the pads. I took it for a drive this evening and it?s not as prominent as it was earlier but still there. I only have 300 miles on the car and don?t remember this happening before.

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Kia Stinger GT
Your brakes should be completely dry after a mile. Have you thought about just having the dealer check to see if you have any warp rotors?

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
How many miles do you have on your Stinger? If its brand new give it a few hundred miles for the brakes to bed-in.

OP
R
Reactions
State
WI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT
Thread Starter #7
How many miles do you have on your Stinger? If its brand new give it a few hundred miles for the brakes to bed-in.
I have just over 300 miles. I drove it this morning and the vibration is gone. The car does the usual ?creaking? sound as the brake is slowly released (considered normal) but no more of the audible/tactile vibration. I?ll take it out again later today and see how it goes. If the vibration recurs, I?ll take it in to have the brakes and rotors inspected.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
Saab 9-5 AERO. Stinger GT on order
I'm at 6000 miles (10000Km). Was not there before. Now it's there. I feel it best on the highway. Light pedal reducing from 80 mph to 70 or 60 because someone pulled into the fast lane. Then it shows up big time. Just like [MENTION=675]Royalstorm[/MENTION] said it's more an audible roughness than a roughness I feel.
Very weird. Brakes work fine, though they're overboosted for me. But I'm so forgiving of this car because i love it.

SeoulStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi A6
I'm at 6000 miles (10000Km). Was not there before. Now it's there. I feel it best on the highway. Light pedal reducing from 80 mph to 70 or 60 because someone pulled into the fast lane. Then it shows up big time. Just like [MENTION=675]Royalstorm[/MENTION] said it's more an audible roughness than a roughness I feel.
Very weird. Brakes work fine, though they're overboosted for me. But I'm so forgiving of this car because i love it.
I wonder if there are any correlations with the cold weather and the vibrations. Seems both you and [MENTION=675]Royalstorm[/MENTION] reside in colder regions than some of us here.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
Saab 9-5 AERO. Stinger GT on order
My buddies Brembo's on his Porsche froze to the rotors. $13000 to fix it, but they were ceramic pads. The climate may have something to do with it. I'm observing if it goes away or gets worse. Then I'll update you guys.

OP
R
Reactions
State
WI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT
Thread Starter #11
Thanks for the comments, guys. I have driven multiple times since posting and haven?t noticed a recurrence of the vibration, audible or tactile. I still have to wonder if it was related to the car wash. I?ll post again if it recurs after a wash (or rainstorm).

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Thanks for the comments, guys. I have driven multiple times since posting and haven?t noticed a recurrence of the vibration, audible or tactile. I still have to wonder if it was related to the car wash. I?ll post again if it recurs after a wash (or rainstorm).
I have experienced vibration from the brakes after power washing wheels (and therefore also the brakes) on cars in the past. Just lasts a very brief time and then back to normal.

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
Iron containing rotors rust on the surface very quickly, almost as soon as the water dries. It's possible that the area covered by the pads is protected while the exposed area gets a very quick, fine coating of surface oxidation. When you drive away, the difference in surface friction causes the vibration until the oxidation is worn down. Most brakes just squeel a bit when rotors are rusted. Brembo might react slightly differently.

VegasStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
NV
Country
United States
Glad to hear this

OP
R
Reactions
State
WI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT
Thread Starter #15
Update:
I have experienced repeat vibration again today after some highway driving. I didn?t notice it when first driving around town but after about 10 minutes of highway driving, I noted the vibration after coming to a complete stop on the off-ramp. Again, occurs when immediately taking my foot off the break when at a complete stop and continued to occur with each subsequent start from a stop. I also notice a more brief vibration when again applying the brakes that happens just before the car stops rolling at a stop. It is still cold here in Wisconsin but I would think that if it?s cold related, it would be more noticeable when first driving and not after highway driving.

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
Sounds like rotor warp to me. You might have a caliper piston dragging so I'd have the brakes checked at the dealer.

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT2 AWD
Wait, wait, wait - is this the idle stop and go feature??? You say it happens when you lift your foot off the brake after a stop??

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
Wait, wait, wait - is this the idle stop and go feature??? You say it happens when you lift your foot off the brake after a stop??
Yes, I read [MENTION=675]Royalstorm[/MENTION]'s last post and that has to be the Stop/Go feature. Turn that OFF (3rd button over on the center console) and see if it stops. Agree 100% with [MENTION=328]Kazz[/MENTION] on that one.

OP
R
Reactions
State
WI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT
Thread Starter #19
Yes, I read [MENTION=675]Royalstorm[/MENTION]'s last post and that has to be the Stop/Go feature. Turn that OFF (3rd button over on the center console) and see if it stops. Agree 100% with [MENTION=328]Kazz[/MENTION] on that one.
That?s definitely a good thought, though I disable engine start/stop feature when I drive, so it can?t be that. I made an appointment with the service department, who also inquired about the start/stop feature. I won?t have it in until next week but will update once they take a look.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
The problem you are describing is not happening while you are applying the brakes, so how is it a braking vibration? Warped rotors, which is what 99% of all braking vibration is caused by, will vibrate more the faster you are going and the harder you brake. The opposite of your situation. How are you determining the brakes are causing the issue? It is much more likely to be engine or transmission based on your description, or, the ISG is still functioning to some extent even though you think it is off or it is in fact off.