Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

New BMW looks strangely familiar or is it just me?

OP
torbach
Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
Thread Starter #21
That new BMW 8 front grill looks between a Lexus with the lower part and BMW upper part. Prefer my Stinger and for a whole lot less I couldn't be happier.
I can't speak highly enough of the Stinger. I've driven lots of cars before, from VW GTI, Golf R, BMW 330i (F92), E46 M3, Infiniti G35, Infiniti M45x. This beats all of them except at 80% or above in terms of track driving. Since I don't ever use that last 20%, I couldn't care. Plus it's by far the nicest looking car I've owned and it's reasonably priced. I haven't gotten so many thumbs up since my M3 (and that was first year of production of the E46.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Stingin' Away

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Dayton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT
I can dig it. There?s only very few coupes I would buy as I?m more into a sleek-looking sedan. The blue and the wheels make that car!

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
It seems most of you guys haven?t noticed that just about every major car design is going to a fastback type design. The Camry, Accord, Civic, etc. BMW already had 2 long before the Stinger was glimmer in Kia?s eye with the 4 and 6 Series Gran Coupes. Trust me, if anyone is copying anyone it?s Kia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
torbach
Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
Thread Starter #24
It seems most of you guys haven?t noticed that just about every major car design is going to a fastback type design. The Camry, Accord, Civic, etc. BMW already had 2 long before the Stinger was glimmer in Kia?s eye with the 4 and 6 Series Gran Coupes. Trust me, if anyone is copying anyone it?s Kia.

I've definitely noticed that, and of course Kia made this a fastback. The interior is also a copy of a range of other interiors. But not every fastback looks the same despite their similarities, and the BMW M8 Concept looks a lot like the Stinger from almost every angle.

As a test, I showed my 11 year old daughter, who's not a car person, the two sets of photos side by side. She pointed out all of the similarities, and there are a ton, and she didn't know which came first. Showing her the Audi Q7, she immediately spotted both the similarities and the differences, of which there are far more.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

TO Turbo

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2015 Sonata 2.0t Ultimate
As has been pointed out, the similarities between the Stinger and the BMW are stronger than with the A5/A7. What BMW really nailed is the intersection of the side windows with the C Pillar which to my eye is kind of awkward on the Stinger. It's the one part of the design that doesn't really work for me - although it would not stop me from getting one.

Reactions
State
UT
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
I have owned a lot of cars over the years and what you realize is that original ideas are rare. What Kia has done is combine great design and engineering with a moderate budget. IMO that?s original. While most cars are increasingly more expensive. With the Stinger we get more for less. Especially the GT2 AWD.

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
BMW should go to KIA to figure out that C pillar area :) LOL