Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Kia stinger base smart power trunk

OP
ChrisOfNYC
Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 KIA STINGER BASE AWD
Thread Starter #21
Keep us posted, we would like to see the fit and quality.

Also be ready to wait, I had to wait two weeks for my KDM embems to be shipped. Absurd, not really sure why the wait is so long.
That's crazy. Emblems are super small. Shipping should be super quick and cheap for the seller if shipping is covered by them. Lol

OP
ChrisOfNYC
Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 KIA STINGER BASE AWD
Thread Starter #22
Keep us posted, we would like to see the fit and quality.

Also be ready to wait, I had to wait two weeks for my KDM embems to be shipped. Absurd, not really sure why the wait is so long.
Yea I received it a month later. Weather has been bad, going to do it myself today. Taking family to BJ's since im off work today, I'll take advantage while in the parking lot. LOL

skf42010

Reactions
State
NJ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger
Just got my base model 2.0L Stinger yesterday and noticed it does not have the power lift gate option and like the original poster, when I press the hatch release on the key fob, nothing happens. There's not even a release button in the car. The only way to open the hatch is to manually press the button on the hatch itself. EXTREMELY annoying. Come on Kia... You give us so much value, but then don't at the very least have the release button work on the key fob. Doesn't make sense.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Just got my base model 2.0L Stinger yesterday and noticed it does not have the power lift gate option and like the original poster, when I press the hatch release on the key fob, nothing happens. There's not even a release button in the car. The only way to open the hatch is to manually press the button on the hatch itself. EXTREMELY annoying. Come on Kia... You give us so much value, but then don't at the very least have the release button work on the key fob. Doesn't make sense.
Good morning [MENTION=975]skf42010[/MENTION]! Welcome on board! LOL

So, that button you've got on your fob isn't a hatch release, it's a hatch-only unlock. It's used, for example, in the event you need to unlock only the back hatch for someone but don't want the rest of the car unlocked.

Reactions
State
NJ
Country
United States
Good morning [MENTION=975]skf42010[/MENTION]! Welcome on board! LOL

So, that button you've got on your fob isn't a hatch release, it's a hatch-only unlock. It's used, for example, in the event you need to unlock only the back hatch for someone but don't want the rest of the car unlocked.
Do you think there's a way for dealers to install a powered hatch option for us? I have a base GT and was shocked it does not have the power hatch.

Reactions
State
WI
Country
United States
What I Drive
‘19 Stinger GT
Do you think there's a way for dealers to install a powered hatch option for us? I have a base GT and was shocked it does not have the power hatch.
Highly doubt it, it’s quite a heavy hatch and would require an equally matched hydraulic lift system.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
I think he is referring to retrofitting the liftgate system from a GT2 onto a GT.

Technically you could, as the hardware is mostly a bolt on affair, however I am unsure if the wiring will be there for the GTs.

Reactions
State
NJ
Country
United States
I think he is referring to retrofitting the liftgate system from a GT2 onto a GT.

Technically you could, as the hardware is mostly a bolt on affair, however I am unsure if the wiring will be there for the GTs.
Yeah, would love it if this is possible.

Reactions
State
WI
Country
United States
What I Drive
‘19 Stinger GT

I’m pretty new still with the Stinger, does the GT2 have a powered lift hatch?

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
It does [rockon]

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
I'm pretty sure that it does NOT have the wiring for the power struts. Kia usually looms separate wire harnesses for each model so that there are empty plugs ans wires hanging around.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
So far evidence points to the contrary. For example there is an owner that was able to retrofit the heated steering wheel into his RWD Stinger (only AWD came with the option) and also the 360 camera system can also be installed, provided you have the necessary hardware and calibration tools.

I was also successful in installing the wireless charger on my 2018.

Just FYI

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
So far evidence points to the contrary. For example there is an owner that was able to retrofit the heated steering wheel into his RWD Stinger (only AWD came with the option) and also the 360 camera system can also be installed, provided you have the necessary hardware and calibration tools.

I was also successful in installing the wireless charger on my 2018.

Just FYI

What the wireless charger plug and play? The connector was already there?

I was going to upgrade my GT headlights to the ones with the dynamic bending functionality and the plugs for the headlight assembly were completely different.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Correct the OEM wireless charger was plug and play and yes the connector was there.

The DBL system requires additional sensors and modules that read the steering angle, speed and the ride height to adjust accordingly.

Reactions
State
WI
Country
United States
What I Drive
‘19 Stinger GT
Typically harnesses are reused, especially in standard vs optional equipment. Where does the power feed the motors on the GT2? A quick trim pop off would solve that.