Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Rear window spoiler & brakelight

Reactions
City
Wake Forest
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Kia Stinger GT2 (CERSIL/RWD)
Hey everyone,

Couple questions and maybe a poll if I can figure out how to do that! (lol)
1. I just received the aftermarket rear window spoiler (from K5optima):

Stinger_rear_window_spoiler_brakelight.jpg

Wondering before I install it if I should have it painted to match the roof color (Natasha is Snow White Pearl). It's tough to see in this photo (screen capture from a KeenDesign YouTube video) whether they painted the one on this car or not. It sits at the top of the rear window, so leaving it gloss black kinda makes it blend into the black of the rear window. But part of me feels it will stand out more (and maybe looks better) if I paint it to match the roof color.

What do you all think???

2. Does anyone know if I can (a) tap into the existing window brake light instead of having to wire all the way to the taillights and (b) can you disable the existing window brake light and only have this one go on?

Thanks,

Mike & Natasha

Note: David @ K5Optima was truly awesome to work with and the product got here from Korea in a little over a week. Surprised how fast it came. Great service from David too.

Dan

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Acura TLX
I would paint it to match, it'll look more factory. There was a member on here from Australia that installed his recently, I'll see if I can find the thread and post the link.

Reactions
State
AL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Silver Kia Stinger GT
If it comes in black I would leave it black, can you let me know which route you decide to run the wires? I want to get this too.

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
Paint it to match the roof. The easiest way is to tap into the third brake light.

SeoulStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi A6
I've kind of prefer it looking black and blending into the rear window.

Dan

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Acura TLX
OP
mjsteelega
Reactions
City
Wake Forest
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #9
Installation Complete! Here is the video:
[video=youtube_share;ZVYxE4bTRXQ]https://youtu.be/ZVYxE4bTRXQ[/video]

Feel free to post any questions here or on the video in YouTube.

KiaFan

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
Looks fantastic!

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
looks really nice. Are you making a "how to" thread? Really considering doing this. Can do a "how to" write up if yall want.

OP
mjsteelega
Reactions
City
Wake Forest
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #12
Hey [MENTION=321]robz32[/MENTION], feel free to reach out when you do. Can walk you through some steps if you need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
Wow that came out really nice.

Reactions
State
AL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Silver Kia Stinger GT
Looks perfect as black, glad you didn't paint it.

Reactions
State
TN
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger gt2 awd
That looks great! Thanks for the video and install tips. What type connector cones on the led light? Just a power and ground? Or is it plug and play?

Kale808

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
HI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Kia Stinger GT
Great video tutorial

OP
mjsteelega
Reactions
City
Wake Forest
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #17
That looks great! Thanks for the video and install tips. What type connector cones on the led light? Just a power and ground? Or is it plug and play?
[MENTION=719]Got_Stinger[/MENTION] the KeenDesign spoiler comes with three wires that are not marked (at all). Although you get some directions in Korean; which I tried to decode with Google Translate to no avail. Lol.

However, after some short troubleshooting and testing, I discovered that the longest wire is negative, the middle wire is positive and the shortest is the brake light activation wire. The OEM wiring only has two wires. What worked for me was combining the positive and activation wires to the OEM brake light wire which is PINK and the negative wire to the OEM negative wire which is BLACK.

So:
Short + Middle to PINK
Longest to BLACK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
[MENTION=238]mjsteelega[/MENTION] do you have a scanner? Its kind of hard to see the photos in detail.

OP
mjsteelega
Reactions
City
Wake Forest
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #19
[MENTION=321]robz32[/MENTION] I use an app all Genius scan which works amazingly well. But honestly, these install directions do not help AT ALL. Follow my video and let me know if you have questions. It's really not that hard and most of it is common sense. Also, here is a final photo of the light working on the car.

Natashas new window spolier.jpg

After couple failed attempts to attach the PDF, can you PM me with your email address and I'll send them directly to you.