Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Kia Stinger GT braking

Reactions
State
WI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT
Hey guys. Question. I just picked up a new Stinger GT. Shortly after purchasing, I noticed that when braking, the car seems to decelerate in a somewhat ?jerky? fashion. Initially I thought this was due to my need to get used to the Brembo brakes but regardless of how gently I apply the brakes, the car continues to exhibit the same pattern. It is certainly more noticeable when in sport mode and I suspect is occurring as it auto downshifts during deceleration. It feels very similar to engine braking that I would do in my manual WRX. Anyone else experiencing this?

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
If the "jerking" is proportional to vehicle speed, you have probably warped your brake rotors. It is also remotely possible that there is an imbalance in braking force on one or more wheels (air in the lines maybe) that is forcing the dual braking system computer to pulse the brakes to prevent wheel spin. Have it checked at the dealers.

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
Jerky isn't normal, my brembos are actually quite smooth.

Kale808

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
HI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Kia Stinger GT
Does the jerkiness happen when you downshift manually and not apply the brakes?

Also welcome from another Subaru owner.

OP
R
Reactions
State
WI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT
Thread Starter #5
Perhaps jerking isn?t the proper term. It?s a similar sensation to when engine braking with a manual transmission, when you downshift and then release the clutch and the vehicle decelerates. It happens while in drive mode (not manual), more prominent when in ?sport? than in ?comfort? and can occur even when coming off the highway and not applying the brakes. I notice that it corresponds with a blip up in rpms, which is why I think it?s the computer downshifting as the car slows. This is a brand new car, AWD, and just hit 100 miles and I haven?t driven it hard, so I don?t think a rotor problem is the issue.

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
I would think that in Sport mode as you slow down the transmission is trying to downshift to keep you in the power curve. Try switching to Eco and see if it helps. I don't have my car yet so can't comment on the feeling of automatic downshifting. It is also possible that if you are in manual mode, the downshifts are more obvious than in automatic.

Anyone else venture a guess that has a car?

The manual does say that on a new car, or after the battery has been disconnected, that "the first few shifts may be somewhat abrupt. This is a normal condition and the shifting sequence will adjust after they are cycled a few times."

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Perhaps jerking isn?t the proper term. It?s a similar sensation to when engine braking with a manual transmission, when you downshift and then release the clutch and the vehicle decelerates. It happens while in drive mode (not manual), more prominent when in ?sport? than in ?comfort? and can occur even when coming off the highway and not applying the brakes. I notice that it corresponds with a blip up in rpms, which is why I think it?s the computer downshifting as the car slows. This is a brand new car, AWD, and just hit 100 miles and I haven?t driven it hard, so I don?t think a rotor problem is the issue.
On mine in Sport mode the car does downshifts much quicker and hold the gear longer, that might be what you're referring to?

Trying driving it in ECO mode to see if it's smoother for you.

OP
R
Reactions
State
WI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT
Thread Starter #8
Yeah, I agree that it is likely due to the computer attempting to maintain rpms in the power curve. I?ll try again in eco mode and let you guys know. I?d say it?s most notable when braking as the car nears 10 mph and again shortly before coming to a stop.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Yeah, I agree that it is likely due to the computer attempting to maintain rpms in the power curve. I?ll try again in eco mode and let you guys know. I?d say it?s most notable when braking as the car nears 10 mph and again shortly before coming to a stop.
Funny I actually like how it downshifts, makes it fun when you're approaching a red light and it turns green. When there's no traffic I'll punch the pedal and quickly accelerate to 60.[biggrin]

Either way enjoy the new car and let us know how ECO feels for you.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
What I Drive
2017 3.3 GT
Hey guys. Question. I just picked up a new Stinger GT. Shortly after purchasing, I noticed that when braking, the car seems to decelerate in a somewhat ?jerky? fashion. Initially I thought this was due to my need to get used to the Brembo brakes but regardless of how gently I apply the brakes, the car continues to exhibit the same pattern. It is certainly more noticeable when in sport mode and I suspect is occurring as it auto downshifts during deceleration. It feels very similar to engine braking that I would do in my manual WRX. Anyone else experiencing this?
Have a read of this as I think it pretty much covers what you have described

https://stingerforum.org/threads/jerky-automatic-transmission-shifting.3755/

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2

First off congratulations. It's definitely the transmission and not the brakes, the way you are describing the downshifts is exactly how mine behaves in Sport mode.

It can be very noticeable at first but after awhile you become less aware of it. Like another member posted above, in ECO mode it will really smoothen out the transmission shifts.

Reactions
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
Kia Stinger GT
[MENTION=311]upsidedown[/MENTION] as far as I'm aware there's no software update for the transmission, not sure if one of the poster on that other thread is posting the correct information.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
What I Drive
2017 3.3 GT
[MENTION=311]upsidedown[/MENTION] as far as I'm aware there's no software update for the transmission, not sure if one of the poster on that other thread is posting the correct information.
Yes I agree no software update but the post has some useful feedback although probably similar to here although maybe the op might find it interesting

OP
R
Reactions
State
WI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT
Thread Starter #14
First off congratulations. It's definitely the transmission and not the brakes, the way you are describing the downshifts is exactly how mine behaves in Sport mode.

It can be very noticeable at first but after awhile you become less aware of it. Like another member posted above, in ECO mode it will really smoothen out the transmission shifts.
Thanks for the reassurance. I?d say it?s certainly less noticeable in eco mode but still can?t brake with at least some inconsistent deceleration. At this point I?m obviously hyper sensitive to it but agree that with time I?ll get used to it.

OP
R
Reactions
State
WI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT
Thread Starter #15
Hey guys. Thanks for the comments! I tried in eco and comfort modes and would say that it?s defihiteky less noticeable than in sport though I still can?t brake without some inconsistent deceleration. I mostly wanted to make sure this is ?normal? for this car. New car jitters...

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT1
Welcome [MENTION=675]Royalstorm[/MENTION], my sister lives in Stevens Point which is right around your area.

SeoulStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi A6
Thanks for the reassurance. I?d say it?s certainly less noticeable in eco mode but still can?t brake with at least some inconsistent deceleration. At this point I?m obviously hyper sensitive to it but agree that with time I?ll get used to it.
For peace of mind, see if your dealer will let you drive another Stinger from their lot. Hopefully that'll put your new car jitters to rest.[thumb]

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
What I Drive
2017 3.3 GT
Hey guys. Thanks for the comments! I tried in eco and comfort modes and would say that it?s defihiteky less noticeable than in sport though I still can?t brake without some inconsistent deceleration. I mostly wanted to make sure this is ?normal? for this car. New car jitters...
Yes this is normal and you may get used to it but I haven't after 3 months. What I have found is that in ECO mode if you brake more aggressively then the downshifts are less of an issue. Easy to drive like this if no cars in front but in traffic obviously a bit more difficult.

Last edited:
OP
R
Reactions
State
WI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT
Thread Starter #19
Yes this is normal and you may get used to it but I haven't after 3 months. What I have found is that in ECO mode if you brake more aggressively then the downshifts are less of an issue. Easy to drive like this if no cars in front but in traffic obviously a bit more difficult.
Agreed. I drove this evening in eco and tried applying the brakes closer to the stop sign/light and noted much less engine-braking (though still a little). Still annoying but hoping I can get used to it, as I otherwise love the car!