Welcome to Kia Stinger Forum, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Register

See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which fuel grade you are using?

Voters
147. You may not vote on this poll
  • Regular Unleaded

    21 14.29%
  • Mid-Grade Unleaded

    14 9.52%
  • Premium Unleaded

    112 76.19%
  • E85

    0 0%
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 46789101112131415 LastLast
Results 92 to 98 of 104

Thread: The Fuel Grade Poll
15 Likes

  1. #92
    Senior Member
    21 Rep Points CARmello Yellow's Avatar
    Medals
    Made First Post Earned First 100 Posts
    Likes Received
    21
    Location
    hampden
    State
    MA
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    104
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I had an optima before this and it had the same fuel requirement in the owners manual, 87 or higher. It was a turbo optima and i tried premium. It was fwd, and with regular it would smoke the tires off the line if you floored it, but not with premium. Everyone says "turbo cars from what i know need higher octane...93...blah ,blah etc." Thats awesome in EFI cars from the 90s - 2000+. things change, and the reason these KIA engines are more efficient and can run on regular gas is because their GDI with incredible pressure in the fuel systems and a different style of delivery, hence the reason conventional tuning methods don't always exactly work anymore. you might see a little better mpg with premium, but thats only because it doesn't need as much retard. The lower octane pulls more timing to achieve the same result and feels a lil peppier.... but thats only my opinion..
    Quote Originally Posted by MurlinatoR View Post
    It's funny that you say that @CARmello Yellow, I've got a customer that tells me the exact same thing. LOL

  2. #93
    Senior Member
    21 Rep Points CARmello Yellow's Avatar
    Medals
    Made First Post Earned First 100 Posts
    Likes Received
    21
    Location
    hampden
    State
    MA
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    104
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Quote Originally Posted by twig2121 View Post
    Agreed, the manual says 87 is ok (as a min), but recommends top tier.

    For those that run tunes(like me), you definitely want to keep parity with what fuel the tune expects.

    You get more power from higher octane, that's simple and known through countless dynos...if you want less power that's fine...but strange to me why one would buy a car like this and opt for less power...
    top tier does not reference octane, it is the quality the brand of gas you use, mobil, shell, exxon you can get toptier 87

  3. #94
    Moderator
    Staff Team 278 Rep Points MurlinatoR's Avatar
    Medals
    Made First Post Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 500 Posts Earned First 1000 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points
    Likes Received
    278
    Location
    Davenport
    State
    IA
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    1,176
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)


    Quote Originally Posted by CARmello Yellow View Post
    I had an optima before this and it had the same fuel requirement in the owners manual, 87 or higher. It was a turbo optima and i tried premium. It was fwd, and with regular it would smoke the tires off the line if you floored it, but not with premium. Everyone says "turbo cars from what i know need higher octane...93...blah ,blah etc." Thats awesome in EFI cars from the 90s - 2000+. things change, and the reason these KIA engines are more efficient and can run on regular gas is because their GDI with incredible pressure in the fuel systems and a different style of delivery, hence the reason conventional tuning methods don't always exactly work anymore. you might see a little better mpg with premium, but thats only because it doesn't need as much retard. The lower octane pulls more timing to achieve the same result and feels a lil peppier.... but thats only my opinion..
    ....you said retard....

  4. #95
    Member
    7 Rep Points freefloyd's Avatar
    Medals
    Made First Post  
    Likes Received
    7
    Location
    Auburn
    State
    AL
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    58
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Premium Unleaded for this bad boy only

  5. #96
    Member
    7 Rep Points
    Medals
    Made First Post  
    Likes Received
    7
    Location
    NC
    State
    NC
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    31
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    1 Likes
    100% Premium only....there's a reason 93 octane outperforms 91 octane tunes. Heck I'll add WMI hopefythis summer, too.

  6. #97
    Senior Member
    21 Rep Points CARmello Yellow's Avatar
    Medals
    Made First Post Earned First 100 Posts
    Likes Received
    21
    Location
    hampden
    State
    MA
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    104
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    unless you have a race chip the stinger doesn't come with a "93 tune"
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinSnails View Post
    100% Premium only....there�s a reason 93 octane outperforms 91 octane tunes. Heck I�ll add WMI hopefythis summer, too.

  7. #98
    Member
    7 Rep Points
    Medals
    Made First Post  
    Likes Received
    7
    Location
    NC
    State
    NC
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    31
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by CARmello Yellow View Post
    unless you have a race chip the stinger doesn't come with a "93 tune"
    I have a JB4. And I’m willing to bet a stock stinger adds more timing in vs 91 or 87 when using 93 octane.

 

 
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 46789101112131415 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •