Welcome to Kia Stinger Forum, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Register

See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which fuel grade you are using?

Voters
147. You may not vote on this poll
  • Regular Unleaded

21 14.29%
  • Mid-Grade Unleaded

14 9.52%
  • Premium Unleaded

112 76.19%
  • E85

0 0%
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111214 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fuel Grade Poll
15 Likes

Medals
    Made First Post Earned First 25 Rep Points  
    Country
    New Zealand
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Likes
    Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Collins View Post
    91 RON is equivalent to 87 octane over in the Americas.

We know that the car will run fine on 87 octane, but some sources including Kia documents, "recommend" premium, which is 91 or 93 octane (95 RON). Does the NZ manual or info suggest any recommendation for 95 RON?

I have a simple question that no one has answered so far on this forum or another one: At what octane level is the official advertised HP and torque developed? If it's 87/91 RON, then there is ZERO performance reason to use anything other than regular gas. If the official HP numbers are only developed using premium, then obviously some people will want that.

Some premium fuels have more additives and cleaners than regular. The car will unlikely develop more power with higher octane, because the engine computer will simply adjust for it. The higher octane could provide higher fuel efficiency, but not likely to the extent that the price gap between regular and premium justifies. At least where I live, the price gap between regular and premium has grown steadily in the past years. This gap varies dramatically from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, too... For a long time it was 10 cents/L as in NZ. Now it is 13, 14, 15 cents at most stations.

Before Canada switched to metric, premium was always 3 cents per (UK) gallon more than regular. Then, magically, it became 3 cents per litre, which is a 4.5x increase in cost. Then it crept up to 10 cents and stayed there for many years and now is higher as I mentioned.

For the metric and math challenged Americans, 15 cents per litre is more than 55 cents per US gallon!!!! Where have you ever seen premium 55 cents more than regular in the USA???
    You could write a book thicker than the owners manual about the vagaries of fuel pricing ! As regards NZ I quote exactly from the owners manual :

"Your new Kia is designed to use only unleaded fuel having an Octane Rating of RON (Research Octane Number) 91 /AKI (Anti Knock Index) 87 or higher (do not use methanol blended fuels.)"

So the manual leaves me with the option to enjoy the benefits, real or perceived, of higher octane fuel if I so desire.

16 Rep Points
    Medals
    Made First Post Earned First 100 Posts
    Country
    Canada
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiStinger View Post
    You could write a book thicker than the owners manual about the vagaries of fuel pricing ! As regards NZ I quote exactly from the owners manual :

"Your new Kia is designed to use only unleaded fuel having an Octane Rating of RON (Research Octane Number) 91 /AKI (Anti Knock Index) 87 or higher (do not use methanol blended fuels.)"

So the manual leaves me with the option to enjoy the benefits, real or perceived, of higher octane fuel if I so desire.
    Thanks. As soon as we confirm that the advertised power rating is achieved with 87 octane/91 RON, my decision will be final. None of my money will be wasted on premium.

Medals
    Country
    Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks. As soon as we confirm that the advertised power rating is achieved with 87 octane/91 RON, my decision will be final. None of my money will be wasted on premium.
    My exact thoughts.

16 Rep Points
    Medals
    Country
    Canada
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mldavis2 View Post
    I just filled my GTO today, and although we have perhaps the cheapest regular (87) gas in the U.S., the gap between 87 and 91 today was $0.60/gal. So the gap may be based on the base price of regular 87, or the price of 91 may be more nationally based than 87 which is more locally priced. Interesting differences.
    Wow...is that price gap pretty normal in your area?

KIA Addict
    Medals
    Made First Post Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 500 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points
    State
    NV
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I have time to go to Costco I'll put in premium otherwise it's regular unleaded. Seeing that I normally fill up twice a week that's roughly a $12 savings per week if I purchase regular over premium.

5 Rep Points
    Medals
    Made First Post  
    Country
    Germany
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiStinger View Post
    Here in NZ the owners manual says to use 91 RON or higher, the other option here being 95 RON, which is 10 cents a litre more (sorry, can't give you Gallons $) I will use 91 for the time being (done 850 km's/ 530 miles so far) May try 95 later, or even alternate tank fills (would that give me 93 ?)
    That is funny.

Here in Germany the handbook says to use 95 RON. It also says that 91 RON can be used with decreased power. However, 10 cent per l is quite a bit..

5 Rep Points
    Medals
    Made First Post  
    Country
    Germany
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    91 RON is equivalent to 87 octane over in the Americas.

We know that the car will run fine on 87 octane, but some sources including Kia documents, "recommend" premium, which is 91 or 93 octane (95 RON). Does the NZ manual or info suggest any recommendation for 95 RON?

I have a simple question that no one has answered so far on this forum or another one: At what octane level is the official advertised HP and torque developed? If it's 87/91 RON, then there is ZERO performance reason to use anything other than regular gas. If the official HP numbers are only developed using premium, then obviously some people will want that.

Some premium fuels have more additives and cleaners than regular. The car will unlikely develop more power with higher octane, because the engine computer will simply adjust for it. The higher octane could provide higher fuel efficiency, but not likely to the extent that the price gap between regular and premium justifies. At least where I live, the price gap between regular and premium has grown steadily in the past years. This gap varies dramatically from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, too... For a long time it was 10 cents/L as in NZ. Now it is 13, 14, 15 cents at most stations.

Before Canada switched to metric, premium was always 3 cents per (UK) gallon more than regular. Then, magically, it became 3 cents per litre, which is a 4.5x increase in cost. Then it crept up to 10 cents and stayed there for many years and now is higher as I mentioned.

For the metric and math challenged Americans, 15 cents per litre is more than 55 cents per US gallon!!!! Where have you ever seen premium 55 cents more than regular in the USA???
    Maybe our friends from Korea can tell us what their handbook says. Germany clearly says to use 95 RON, which is the minimum here today (91 RON isn't available for 10 yrs or so). We have 98 and 100 RON as well, but it does not make sense to use since 95 RON is recommended.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111214 ... LastLast