Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

The Fuel Grade Poll

Which fuel grade you are using?

• Regular Unleaded

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • Mid-Grade Unleaded

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • Premium Unleaded

Votes: 98 78.4%
  • E85

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
Reactions
State
AK
Country
United States
I ran the tank empty and filled up with premium for the first time. So far I’m getting worse mileage and dont notice any additional power. Back to regular. Kinda nice since I’ve had to use premium in my cars for the past 10 yrs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 kia stinger gt
There is a fixed tune from the factory, my manual says 87 or higher. On turbo EFI vehicles higher octane was needed, but not on GDI vehicles. The only thing higher octane does in GDI vehicles is pull less timing to achieve the same result. I'm not saying it will hurt anything, or as you change the vehicle from its factory set up higher octane won't be needed? Just that there is no "93" tune how they came from the factory. Lower octane will cause no detonation issues on factory stingers.[wrenchin]
Correct. A lower octane fuel has a tendency to detonate on a forced induction, high compression engine, like the one on the Stinger. That is why a higher octane fuel is recommended on force induction setups.

So yes, technically, the Stinger has a map/tune for 93 octane.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
I understand that on a factory setup, there is a lower chance of detonation using a lower octane fuel. Also I did not state that using a lower octane fuel will cause detonation on the Stinger, I stated that a lower octane fuel has a tendency to detonate on any engine, especially on higher compression and force induction setups. Also from a tuning perspective, the less timing the ECU has to pull the better, as you will be making more power.

The initial minimum octane requirement, printed on the user manuals for the Stinger, was revised mid-last year by Kia it was changed from 87 to Premium octane.

https://www.kiamedia.com/us/en/models/stinger/2018/specifications

Reactions
State
AK
Country
United States
I can see the 3.3 requiring premium. But does anyone know why the Kia site says premium recommended for the 2.0t, but says 87+ unleaded for the 2.0t optima. Same motor. Same compression ratio. About the same hp. Seems strange.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
I can see the 3.3 requiring premium. But does anyone know why the Kia site says premium recommended for the 2.0t, but says 87+ unleaded for the 2.0t optima. Same motor. Same compression ratio. About the same hp. Seems strange.

premium isn't required, it even state so in your owners manual.

Reactions
State
AK
Country
United States
premium isn't required, it even state so in your owners manual.
It says premium recommended for both stinger motors.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
It says premium recommended for both stinger motors.

Under fuel requirements it shows 87 octane or higher and not to use methanol blend.

Reactions
State
AK
Country
United States
Check out the link in post 103. It was revised to premium recommended. But I’m wondering why the optima 2.0t isn’t the same.

Reactions
State
AK
Country
United States
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Maybe since some people were fouling plugs on untuned cars using 87, upping the octane recommendation was their bandaid?

Check out the link in post 103. It was revised to premium recommended. But I’m wondering why the optima 2.0t isn’t the same.

Maybe. I think we share the same manual as the 3.3 owners.

OP
Danny_O
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Thread Starter #112
The new revised manual now requires 91 octane for both 2.0 and 3.3. Honestly it's not worth fouling up your plugs with lower octane as they're expensive to replace.

Reactions
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 kia stinger gt
i think people were fouling plugs with things like the jb4,,, removing the units and going to the dealer like "it just happened"?? my car does great on 87

Reactions
State
KS
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 GT2 AWD
Read the manual that came with my new 2019 and it says 91 octane. Premium fuel at Costco for me.