Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Who would purchase the bi-modal exhaust if it was available in North America?

Who would purchase the bi-modal exhaust if it was available in North America?

• Yes

Votes: 18 64.3%
  • No

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • I prefer aftermarket

Votes: 4 14.3%

• Total voters
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
For those who don't know what the bi-modal exhaust is:

The $2659.99AUD ($2,073.97USD) bi-modal exhaust system was developed by Melbourne-based company Lumen specifically for Kia Motors Australia. The system works by replacing the rear mufflers to a set of electronically-switchable pipes. There's a bypass valve open or close depending on the drive mode.

It's set up so that it operates in the three modes, at varying degrees of activation. So you can drive it in Eco and not have any noise, whereas in Sport you?ll have noise from start to finish.

2018 Kia Stinger GT with bi-modal exhaust
[video=youtube;OUoHse8bEp0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUoHse8bEp0[/video]

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Awesome. Wonder how much would it be shipped to the US. We are talking JUN B.L money right there.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
Definitely not since there's no power gains.

SeoulStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi A6
I might depending if the price is lower, but I highly doubt the state of CA would approve something like this.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
I might depending if the price is lower, but I highly doubt the state of CA would approve something like this.
The equivalent is already on several other European vehicles such as the one I drive--Volvo Polestar.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
For those who don't know what the bi-modal exhaust is:

The $2659.99AUD ($2,073.97USD) bi-modal exhaust system was developed by Melbourne-based company Lumen specifically for Kia Motors Australia. The system works by replacing the rear mufflers to a set of electronically-switchable pipes. There's a bypass valve open or close depending on the drive mode.

It's set up so that it operates in the three modes, at varying degrees of activation. So you can drive it in Eco and not have any noise, whereas in Sport you?ll have noise from start to finish.

2018 Kia Stinger GT with bi-modal exhaust
[video=youtube;OUoHse8bEp0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUoHse8bEp0[/video]
What is the third mode? RPM activated? And it is an option added to the Custom mode menu choices (I sure hope)?

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
I assume he meant the three main driving modes the car has. ECO, Comfort and Sport.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
I assume he meant the three main driving modes the car has. ECO, Comfort and Sport.
Sure, so how does it operate in Comfort then? There are usually three modes for these systems (On, Off and RPM activated). How they match those with the drive modes is important and could be smart or dumb. Custom is especially important.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Germany
What I Drive
KIA Stinger GT 3.3 AWD EU
The australien bi-modal exhaust is not the only one available worldwide. In Germany Kia also offers a bi-modal exhaust as an official option for the Stinger. Here it?s speed controlled. Valves open at 70km/h. You get a new button next to the steering wheel. With that button you can just close the valves in case you don?t want to get bothered on long trips. The exhaust system is made by Bastuck.

Dan

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Acura TLX
The australien bi-modal exhaust is not the only one available worldwide. In Germany Kia also offers a bi-modal exhaust as an official option for the Stinger. Here it?s speed controlled. Valves open at 70km/h. You get a new button next to the steering wheel. With that button you can just close the valves in case you don?t want to get bothered on long trips. The exhaust system is made by Bastuck.
so the bastuck is sold and installed at Kia dealers in Germany?

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Germany
What I Drive
Yes, exactly. So it also doesn?t harm the warranty. I will get my Stinger with this exhaust system in 3-4 weeks.

VegasStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
NV
Country
United States
You can actually buy the Bastuck system and have it shipped here too. It's just not as integrated as the bi-modal.
https://www.kiastinger.org/forum/threads/658-Kia-Stinger-3-3T-Bastuck-Exhaust/

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
I voted, yes I want a bi modal exhaust system. Three modes would be nice. Open, closed and engine RPM (not car speed) activated. That system from Germany that's "speed" activated is not what I would like if I understand it correctly. I'm wondering if something got lost in translation and they meant to say engine speed?

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
I voted, yes I want a bi modal exhaust system. Three modes would be nice. Open, closed and engine RPM (not car speed) activated. That system from Germany that's "speed" activated is not what I would like if I understand it correctly. I'm wondering if something got lost in translation and they meant to say engine speed?
Agree that rpm-activated makes sense, but road speed does not.

Kale808

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
HI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Kia Stinger GT
I voted no.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Germany
What I Drive
No you got it right. It?s car speed based. Has to do with the german regulations. It?s like that because that?s the only way to run it legally here and that exhaust system development was focussed on the german market. In Germany a car is not allowed to be louder as stock at low speeds. So Bastuck had to be sure that the valves cannot be opened < 70km/h. So if you don?t live in Germany you should really think twice if it makes any sense for you to buy/import this solution - esspecially if you consider the price.

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT2 AWD
I don't think a cutout's legal in the U.S. anywhere, is it?

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Not sure, but the Lumen one or whichever one Kia is testing for broader use surely will be a properly integrated system that doesn't bypass any emissions equipment or cause undue sound issues. Like the ones already available from the factory on many other cars for many years, including the usual suspect German ones!

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
As long as it's after the cats, you could get refused inspection for unsafe exhaust exit (if it's before the rear wheels and the tech actually inspects it, but this varies by state and county) or a ticket for noise if a cop hears you. If it's before the cats then you'd be refused inspection for emissions modification (again, if the tech actually looks).
Cutouts are legal to buy and install.

Note that 70 km/h is only 40mph or so, which you get to pretty quick. Sure, it won't scream while revving in the parking lot, but I think that's ok.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
I think for states that require a visual inspection it may be a problem, not really familiar with their laws, but on states that only requires an emissions inspection, it is not a problem.