Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

FM Radio Reception - Comes and Goes?

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT2 AWD
I don't listen to FM much. But when I do, I've noticed the volume of the station coming and going - whether I switch to HD or not. Anyone else noticing this? Suggestions?

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
I don't listen to FM much. But when I do, I've noticed the volume of the station coming and going - whether I switch to HD or not. Anyone else noticing this? Suggestions?
Yes this happens to me, I even brought it up with our salesman during the test drive.

OP
Kazz

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #3
Yes this happens to me, I even brought it up with our salesman during the test drive.
Thank God! I'm not going crazy and I won't feel bad bringing it up to my service writer! LOL

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
Thank God! I'm not going crazy and I won't feel bad bringing it up to my service writer! LOL
Lol it was driving me crazy too.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
I can confirm this happens to me too. I thought it was a feature on radio that cuts volume whenever it detects poor reception so you don?t get static blasting in your ears.

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
I would suspect it is a combination of two things. One is that these little "horn" multi-purpose antennas they use on the back of the roof are not optimized for all frequencies since they must deal with Sirius, FM, AM, and satellite data all in one unit.

Second, FM is subject to multipath distortion from reflected signals. If you drive through town with tall buildings or beside a semi truck on the highway, you get reflections that are slightly out of phase with the main signal. Those out-of-phase signals effectively cancel the signal until you are past the reflective surface. Same principle used by noise-cancelling headphones in using out of phase sound.

Kale808

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
HI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Kia Stinger GT
The radio reception on the Stinger is horrid compared to my STi and Focus ST.

OP
Kazz

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #8
I would suspect it is a combination of two things. One is that these little "horn" multi-purpose antennas they use on the back of the roof are not optimized for all frequencies since they must deal with Sirius, FM, AM, and satellite data all in one unit.

Second, FM is subject to multipath distortion from reflected signals. If you drive through town with tall buildings or beside a semi truck on the highway, you get reflections that are slightly out of phase with the main signal. Those out-of-phase signals effectively cancel the signal until you are past the reflective surface. Same principle used by noise-cancelling headphones in using out of phase sound.
First, depending solely on the "fin" antenna on the roof would be a terrible decision. I'm sure Kia's not done that.

Second, I don't need to go through an stand of forest or skyscraper-laden skyline to have the signal come and go. It can do it going down a flat, field-borderd, deserted two-lane.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
Ford F250 7.3 Powerstroke
Stinger antenna

First, depending solely on the "fin" antenna on the roof would be a terrible decision. I'm sure Kia's not done that.

Second, I don't need to go through an stand of forest or skyscraper-laden skyline to have the signal come and go. It can do it going down a flat, field-borderd, deserted two-lane.
As a matter of fact that is the only antenna. It is powered from the audio unit and it separates out AM/FM, Satellite radio, GPS signal, and Telematics into 4 distinct signals and carries them to the audio unit on separate conductors.

RGStinger

Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
'18 Stinger GT2
The shark fin antenna is not the radio (AM/FM) antenna. The radio is on the rear glass.

From the owner's manual.

Radio antenna.PNG

Hapa88

Reactions
State
AZ
What I Drive
2019 GT1
The shark fin antenna is not the radio (AM/FM) antenna. The radio is on the rear glass.

From the owner's manual.

View attachment 2053
My 2019 Owner's manual (pg 4-164) states "The shark fin antenna will receive both AM and FM signals and the transmit data." There's no mention of a glass antenna. Must of been a change from 2018s to 2019s..

Anyway, I notice my FM reception going in and out as well, but it appears to be happening when the HD signal is weak and the radio keeps switching between standard FM and HD.

Attachments

Reactions
State
WI
Country
United States
What I Drive
‘19 Stinger GT
2019 here, haven’t seemed to have noticed any issues with FM. It’s not my first audio input choice but when I’ve used it I haven’t experienced those issues.

OP
Kazz

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #13
I'd not listened to the radio in ages and just did for a few hours last week. It does fade out and back in. This is with the latest HU update (Nav, s/w, etc.).