Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

The Piggyback Chip feedback, reviews, issues, diagnostic and questions thread

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Thanks for testing this [MENTION=46]STINGER[/MENTION]

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
We decided to with the M40il plugs instead of the M45il, I felt two step colder is not necessary as most likely the issue is with the plug gap rather than the heat range but 1 step colder will not harm anything.

Anyways, we gapped the M40iL plugs at .24 and ran the LAP3 on the 91octane setting even though we are using 93octane. 3rd day now, so far so good.
How much power loss do you think you might lose from going two steps colder?

Reactions
State
AL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Silver Kia Stinger GT
We decided to with the M40il plugs instead of the M45il, I felt two step colder is not necessary as most likely the issue is with the plug gap rather than the heat range but 1 step colder will not harm anything.

Anyways, we gapped the M40iL plugs at .24 and ran the LAP3 on the 91octane setting even though we are using 93octane. 3rd day now, so far so good.
Thanks

Reactions
Country
United States
If anyone is having misfires or hesitations with the JB4 chip, the recommendation is close the gap on the spark plugs to around .25

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
If anyone is having misfires or hesitations with the JB4 chip, the recommendation is close the gap on the spark plugs to around .25
Hindsight I wonder if this approach would have prevented some of the misfires on the LAP3.

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
I have been running the LAP3 on 93 setting with the HKS M45il plugs for a couple thousand miles now without any issues other than wheel grip. I have an AWD GT2 Stinger and when the roads are wet I can spin all 4 tires in comfort mode. In sport mode you need to have your sh!t together, it will drift if you want it to. I also have K&N intakes, and Ark Grip Exhaust and SSR Performance down pipes as well. Big mouth intake tubes should be here any day. 0-60 is closer to 4 seconds. Ordered the JB4 with fuel wires and Blutooth adapter.

Last edited:

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT2 AWD
I have been running the LAP3 on 93 setting with the HKS M45il plugs for a couple thousand miles now without any issues other than wheel grip. I have an AWD GT2 Stinger and when the roads are wet I can spin all 4 tires in comfort mode. In sport mode you need to have your sh!t together, it will drift if you want it to. I also have K&N intakes, and Ark Grip Exhaust and SSR Performance down pipes as well. Big mouth intake tubes should be here any day. 0-60 is closer to 4 seconds. Ordered the JB4 with fuel wires and Blutooth adapter.
Why the move to Burger's JB4?

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
Why the move to Burger's JB4?
The JB4 has optional fuel wires that can control the AFR which helps to gain a lot of power on the top end. It also has bluetooth so you can change the tune or disable it on the fly using your phone. It has a lot more intelligence built in and has an ODBII hookup so it can monitor and keep the engine within safe limits. The LAP3 does none of those things, it just lies to the ECU about boost pressure and that's it. JB4 also has options for water meth injection and a large community that is always tweaking settings such as boost levels per gear etc. Several Stinger owners have seen WHP as high as 450 HP at over 500 lb-ft of torque on a dyno.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
The JB4 has optional fuel wires that can control the AFR which helps to gain a lot of power on the top end. It also has bluetooth so you can change the tune or disable it on the fly using your phone. It has a lot more intelligence built in and has an ODBII hookup so it can monitor and keep the engine within safe limits. The LAP3 does none of those things, it just lies to the ECU about boost pressure and that's it. JB4 also has options for water meth injection and a large community that is always tweaking settings such as boost levels per gear etc. Several Stinger owners have seen WHP as high as 450 HP at over 500 lb-ft of torque on a dyno.
You're right on all of those points.

I will point out, however, that LAP3 has the Pro-Tune option as well. The Pro-Tune option does have a lot of this functionality. The bluetooth, ODB, fuel control, meth,.... You can find a thread or two here in the forum that talk about it or ready about it HERE on their website. It's not cheap at $1,200.

I have a JB4. The only thing that I wish that it had at this point is the speed limiter that the Lap3 Pro-Tune is supposed to have. I just can't justify double the price of my JB4 simply for the speed limiter. *shrugs*

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
Not to mention the difficulty of hooking up the LAP3. There are way more wires running all over the place from what I could see in the images. I have not seen one actually installed but it has to be much more difficult than the JB4. I also agree on the price, at $1200 you are in actual ECU tuning prices where you can buy a spare ECU to play with and not have to deal with the difficult installation.

Reactions
City
Haymarket
State
VA
Country
United States
What I Drive
600WHP+ Kia Stinger
Not to mention the difficulty of hooking up the LAP3. There are way more wires running all over the place from what I could see in the images. I have not seen one actually installed but it has to be much more difficult than the JB4. I also agree on the price, at $1200 you are in actual ECU tuning prices where you can buy a spare ECU to play with and not have to deal with the difficult installation.
That's because the Pro-Tuner actually has full control over Crank sensor and timing tuning, which is extremely important when it comes to proper tuning. JB4 does not have this. They are planning on adding wires to manipulate the IAT(Intake Air Temp) sensor, but that sounds to me is dangerous as it won't pull timing from heat in bad weather condition, and it can only change about 2 degree of timing through this method. There is a reason why we have the world record for the Stinger platform, making ~485WHP. We've also achieved to make 460WHP on 93 octane pump gas, without using E30/race fuel/meth. We run conservative 11.8-12AFR, while the competitors are running extremely aggressive 13AFR by redline yet to achieve numbers we have been putting down on same 93 octane tune. That's where the differences are at, and there are more to it. When you rely making all the power from boost and aggressive AFR, there is no such thing as balance, but rather reckless and dangerous. With the Pro-Tuner re-mapping, you don't need to gap your plugs to 0.020 like all the chips on the market. That's just a band aid to avoid ignition break-up and misfire. Yes, the Pro-tuner comes with the speed limiter removal option, which is just a small option. And it's definitely not the option that makes the Pro-Tuner $1200 as explained above. Why spend $40-50k on a car, and not get a proper tuning solution? It's the most important mods of all. LAP3 Pro-Tuner is the only tuning system on the current market that allows you to run the turboback exhaust system for the Stinger platform at the moment. Other chips on the market has been experiencing limp mode with the primary cat deletes. ECU Tunes on the market is also having the same limp mode issues with them. There's a reason why others are running into these ECU limitation, limp mode, misfire, ignition break-up, and etc. To see what our Pro-Tuner is capable of, Make sure to check out our R&D results from the link: https://www.kiastinger.org/threads/2485-LAP3-Pro-Tuner-Breaking-Records

Last edited:
Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
It sounds very impressive, and maybe when I've owned the car for a few years and feel like pushing it further and have money to burn on parts I might break I'd go this route. Having more options is better than having less for sure and I think I speak for everyone when I say keep up the good work! We all appreciate what you guys are doing.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Kia Stinger GT2
Wow, what can I say other then mind-blowingly fast and almost scary. Spoke with RaceChip support today and had my GTS Black chip updated to max performance. Put Octane 101 in the tank and on Race mode the car pulled so hard at 15 mph that it felt like it started to swerve, but maybe I was losing traction, but accelerating so hard I didn't dare take my eyes off the road while I pulled onto the freeway. Crazy part is that I didn't even have the XLR chip enabled. With that enabled on R+ this thing would be even a wilder beast. Can't wait to see my times on the drag strip at Sonoma this Wed. Looks like the weather will hold-up therefore should be good to go. I will share my times. I think I will do one pull with Launch Control (XLR shouldn't matter for this, but I will enable it), another pull with Auto-hold on and R+ on the XLR, not sure about Traction/Stability control and then depending upon how those go, I might do a third run with the chip disabled for comparison. If you have any suggestions or feedback, please share. Needless to the say the chip will be in Race mode. I still want to do a dyno test for my car. I will share those results as well. I won't be surprised if I'm getting at least 400 whp, but we shall see. With as much power and torque as I feel now, I couldn't imagine any more. It's border line safe to drive as is, but what a blast. Just on the verge of insanity. [wink]

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Wow, what can I say other then mind-blowingly fast and almost scary. Spoke with RaceChip support today and had my GTS Black chip updated to max performance. Put Octane 101 in the tank and on Race mode the car pulled so hard at 15 mph that it felt like it started to swerve, but maybe I was losing traction, but accelerating so hard I didn't dare take my eyes off the road while I pulled onto the freeway. Crazy part is that I didn't even have the XLR chip enabled. With that enabled on R+ this thing would be even a wilder beast. Can't wait to see my times on the drag strip at Sonoma this Wed. Looks like the weather will hold-up therefore should be good to go. I will share my times. I think I will do one pull with Launch Control (XLR shouldn't matter for this, but I will enable it), another pull with Auto-hold on and R+ on the XLR, not sure about Traction/Stability control and then depending upon how those go, I might do a third run with the chip disabled for comparison. If you have any suggestions or feedback, please share. Needless to the say the chip will be in Race mode. I still want to do a dyno test for my car. I will share those results as well. I won't be surprised if I'm getting at least 400 whp, but we shall see. With as much power and torque as I feel now, I couldn't imagine any more. It's border line safe to drive as is, but what a blast. Just on the verge of insanity. [wink]
Let us know how you do on the dyno.

T-GDi

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT
LAP3 Pro-Tuner is the only tuning system on the current market that allows you to run the turboback exhaust system for the Stinger platform at the moment. Other chips on the market has been experiencing limp mode with the primary cat deletes. ECU Tunes on the market is also having the same limp mode issues with them. There's a reason why others are running into these ECU limitation, limp mode, misfire, ignition break-up, and etc.
Sounds highly illegal. Didn't an other tuning company get a $6M fine for doing this? I think it was Bullydog.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Kia Stinger GT2
RaceChip.us is offering 25% off GTS and GTS Black valid through Monday Nov 26. If you register via TopCashback.com and link to RaceChip you get another 13% off. Can't beat that deal! Don't miss out if you been on the fence consider RaceChip.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Kia Stinger GT2
Lap3 Uncle chip slashed their price by approximately 15%. Now is the time to act on a chip, if you?ve been on the fence.