Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

jalopnik: No, Kia Is Not Requiring Dealerships To Mark Up The Stinger

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT1
Interesting article regarding the limited Sunset Yellow.

https://jalopnik.com/no-kia-is-not-requiring-dealerships-to-markup-the-stin-1823264705

"This was a Sunset Yellow Stinger GT2 RWD which stickers for $50,100. They looked me dead in the face and said: "$54,900 that's the price". $4800 over because "Kia told us we have to sell the car at a certain price" Then the dealer said"We can take off the extra $1200 for mudflaps ($95 on the Kia website) and $1200 for 'nitrogen tire treatment' (take it out and give me good old air), but the $2500 Limited Edition markup is required"...

ATXStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
$1200 for 'nitrogen tire treatment' [rofl]

Tagging [MENTION=291]MurlinatoR[/MENTION] into this for laughs.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
$1200 for 'nitrogen tire treatment' [rofl]

Tagging [MENTION=291]MurlinatoR[/MENTION] into this for laughs.
LOLOLOLOLOLOL

That is hilarious.

Although, I would argue that I believe that dealer problems are prevalent across most manufacturers.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
OH
Country
United States
Dealers like this is why so many consumers distrust sales people.

Dan

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Acura TLX
LFMAO "$2500 Limited Edition markup is required"

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
LFMAO "$2500 Limited Edition markup is required"
"Limited" on the back or side of any vehicle means limited to all we can sell.[thumb]

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
I know its a free market but how can KIA sit idle and let dealers charge $1200 for mudflaps and $1200 for nitrogen tire treatment? At some point they should know that this will turn off many first time buyers from ever owning a KIA.

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
I know its a free market but how can KIA sit idle and let dealers charge $1200 for mudflaps and $1200 for nitrogen tire treatment? At some point they should know that this will turn off many first time buyers from ever owning a KIA.
Only if buyers are stupid enough to pay for "nitrogen-filled tires" and mudflaps. Most people interested in a Stinger are car-wise or they would never jump brands, I sure as heck know I wouldn't. These bogus tricks are the brain-child of sales managers with no brains and nothing but profit on their minds. A knowledgeable public will leave those nitrogen-filled tires alone, and those of us who are scientists will know that 78% of air is nitrogen anyway, so they probably didn't do a damn thing. How are you going to test for a relatively inert gas when it's already at 78%?? Avoid dealers like that like the plague.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
Only if buyers are stupid enough to pay for "nitrogen-filled tires" and mudflaps. Most people interested in a Stinger are car-wise or they would never jump brands, I sure as heck know I wouldn't. These bogus tricks are the brain-child of sales managers with no brains and nothing but profit on their minds. A knowledgeable public will leave those nitrogen-filled tires alone, and those of us who are scientists will know that 78% of air is nitrogen anyway, so they probably didn't do a damn thing. How are you going to test for a relatively inert gas when it's already at 78%?? Avoid dealers like that like the plague.
Ditto to [MENTION=456]mldavis2[/MENTION]! LOL Not only is nitrogen in car tires a completely bogus, but profit hungry dealers have been doing this since before the advent of the internet.

Computers, and pricing detail at a click, has lowered car dealers profits significantly in the last 20 years. Dealers that focus on profit over volume find other ways of earning that profit back. Most dealers today add fees for prep, etch, nitrogen, door edge guards.... the list is long. Some dealers charge a doc fee 3, 4, or 5 TIMES the state requirement! A doc fee should never be more than $200.

Just take a look at the fine print on Friendly Kia's online cars on their website. It's a joke. LOL

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
I'm more concerned over the knowledgeable buyers that would would be put off from owning a KIA because of this. I know I would have walked off the lot if the salesman tried to pull that BS on me.

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
Hey $4,800 is a bargain compared to that dealer in Atlanta that wanted $80k.[biggrin]

StingerMike

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
Hey $4,800 is a bargain compared to that dealer in Atlanta that wanted $80k.[biggrin]
haha you made me go look at the price on that car again. It's still at $52,600