Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

No Stinger based crossover or pickup in the future.

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
I saw this article on another car site and thought it was interesting. The, no pick up, part doesn't surprise me as I don't think it would be a good idea, particularly in the US. But the no crossover thing I think is a terrible idea! I'm not an suv guy but I thought making a GT/performance suv based on the Stinger platform would be a literal cash cow! Something like what Alfa Romeo is doing with the Guilia/Stelvio or what BMW does with their 3/X3 and 5/X5's. I think it would get more customers in the showrooms and I believe, at least internationally, they would sell a ton of them as it would be an affordable version of the Cayenne, Stelvio or X5. I believe it also might lower costs of the platform as it would spread the costs with another vehicle and I think it would help to elevate the brand which is what KIA is trying to do anyway. What do you folks think? Here's the link.

https://www.carscoops.com/2018/02/kia-rules-additional-stinger-variants-pickup/

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger
They're probably focusing their resources on producing an SUV for the Genesis brand first which might end up trickling down to future Kia SUV models.

Dan

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Acura TLX
That's really too bad since a performance crossover from Kia would compliment the brand nicely.

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
But..but the Kia Telluride looks so damn good.[mecry]

Stingin' Away

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Dayton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT
That's really too bad since a performance crossover from Kia would compliment the brand nicely.
They have the Sorento and Sportage. They should have a performance trim level similar to the Veloster N. Add GT as the top trim level and drop the 3.3TT in it. They don't need a new car to make something in their line-up better.

Reactions
State
LA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2010 Kia Forte
They have the Sorento and Sportage. They should have a performance trim level similar to the Veloster N. Add GT as the top trim level and drop the 3.3TT in it. They don't need a new car to make something in their line-up better.
I wouldn't qualify the Sorento and Sportage as a performance SUV since they're all FWD based.

Stingin' Away

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Dayton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT
I wouldn't qualify the Sorento and Sportage as a performance SUV since they're all FWD based.
Add an AWD platform and tune the chassis. It'd be easy enough to do since they already have AWD versions. Different power train wouldn't hurt

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger
Put a high horsepower motor and AWD in anything and it can be a great performance car. Case in point Focus RS, STi, Golf R are all from FWD platforms.

Reactions
State
UT
Country
United States
I'd like to see this go into production

OP
S
Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
Thread Starter #10
This concept was STUNNING!!!

OP
S
Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
Thread Starter #11
I forgot about that Telluride concept. It's nice but I don't know much about it. Gotta do some research on it's platform. But yeah, it's not sporty and wouldn't compete with Cayenne, F-Pace and the like. But it sure would move with 400hp!

OP
S
Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
Thread Starter #12
Replying to some of the comments on here, yeah, KIA could take a Sportage or Sorrento and add a better AWD system, transmission, suspension components and more power but it wouldn't be the same. To me, looking at things this way, they could have just taken an Optima, added AWD, more power, beef up the suspension and brakes, put some fancy trim on it and then call it a day. Why bother making the Stinger in the first place. Leave it to Genesis then... KIA is trying to create an image now as well as create a niche that other manufacturers have either missed or ignored. NOBODY made an affordably priced, good/sporty looking, practical, 5 door, RWD based performance car! You could get all that with the Audi A5/7, Porsche Panamera, BMW GT but they're not affordable. Now there's the Stinger and the automotive world is saying WTF??? Guess what? There's another niche that could be exploited. Nobody is making an affordably priced, good/sporty looking, RWD based performance oriented SUV! I think right now, the closest thing out there is maybe the F-Pace but even that is still pretty expensive. The F-Pace is a good example though because if it didn't share it's platform with the Jag XE, it would be more expensive. A Jeep Cherokee SRT is very expensive too. If the Cherokee shared it's platform with something else, it would quite possibly be cheaper. You know who is about to exploit this niche? Ford! With it's soon to be released, all new RWD based Explorer. And they're going to make an ST version of it too. The current Explorer shares it's platform with the Taurus but when it goes RWD, I don't know what it will share platforms with so it too could be pricey. KIA on the other hand, can take the Stingers RWD platform and make a nice, affordable, performance suv out of it. Jaguar does it with the F-Pace/XE, BMW with the 3/X3, 5/X5 etc, Alfa Romeo with the Guilia/Stelvio. I think Audi does it too. Point being, KIA could make some serious money with this platform and it would be an effective way to make the Stinger, as well as the suv, even more affordable. In addition, it would greatly add to the image that KIA is trying to create with the Stinger and show the automotive world that the Stinger ISN'T just a one hit wonder. I can understand KIA wanting to maybe see how the Stinger does in sales but if they just don't pursue this, I think they're missing a MASSIVE opportunity here. Remember, car sales are down and almost everyone want's an suv these days. That's one of the reasons why Ford is slowly letting their sedans die off and going almost all in with suv's/cuv's. OK, I'm done. Time for me to breathe :) Just my 2 cents :)

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
Kia must first establish itself as more than just a good value maker of econoboxes. Hopefully the Stinger can do that, IF they can attract enough buyers who aren't embedded into their brand identity. I'll do all I can to help them if my Stinger proves to be as good as everyone thinks it is.