Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Who's experienced fouled spark plugs on their Kia Stinger?

Who's experienced fouled spark plugs on their Kia Stinger?

• Yes with a chip

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Yes without a chip

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • No with a chip

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • No without a chip

Votes: 22 57.9%

• Total voters
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2011 Acura MDX
Lets get to the bottom of this whole spark plug issue/debate and see who has experienced fouled plugs on their Kia Stinger?

These are pictures of fouled plugs shared by [MENTION=46]STINGER[/MENTION] on his Stinger GT with a Lap3 chip.

ATXStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
The results are pretty interesting to see so far.

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
Very interesting. Of 7 chipped cars 3 have had issues.

That's way too prevalent for me.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
For better clarity should have added separate entries between the 2.0L and 3.3L.

Reactions
State
LA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2010 Kia Forte
I wonder how many of these issues are related to having the wrong octane setting or some other underlying problem.

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger
Very interesting. Of 7 chipped cars 3 have had issues.

That's way too prevalent for me.
Are these results based strictly on Lap3 or other tuners?

StingerMike

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
Here's a picture of a cracked NGK plug on another member's car running the chip.

Evidently this one was a brand new plug that was replaced in cylinder 5 which also cracked. Right now, the tech believes it's a bad coil and waiting on the replacement part.

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT1
Was that cracked from misfire or excessive heat?

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT2 AWD
I'd say something's increasing the ignition temp. My guess is that the car is trying to compensate for what the chip is telling it until it blows the plug and/or coil. I would guess that, if Kia sees enough of this issue, they'll put limits on how hot the coils can get. This is all speculation, of course.

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
Could also be a run of defective plugs, although if it's the same cylinder the coil might be a better bet. Strange .... I don't have my car yet to look it over, but how many coils? Usually one coil for each cylinder pair but I haven't seen the 3.3T yet.

StingerMike

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
Was that cracked from misfire or excessive heat?
From what I gathered its due to misfire from a bad coil. The tech still doesn't know what caused the coil to go bad.

StingerMike

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
Could also be a run of defective plugs, although if it's the same cylinder the coil might be a better bet. Strange .... I don't have my car yet to look it over, but how many coils? Usually one coil for each cylinder pair but I haven't seen the 3.3T yet.
One on each cylinder.

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
Great stuff, I'm going to hold off on any chip purchases until we find out what's causing plugs to go bad.

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
One on each cylinder.
Thanks, [MENTION=8]StingerMike[/MENTION]. Still doesn't explain why a mis-fire causes a cracked plug. Heat is dissipated by mechanical contact of threads against the cylinder head. Usually you will see a crack or path along a carbon track but that usually fries the coil, not the plug. I wonder if there is an access problem that causes the mechanic to crack the plug on installation due to a misalignment of the socket. Guess I'll shut up until I get my engine and can look it over.

Reactions
State
NM
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger gt
From what I can tell after I remove the plug it look like yhe coil was bad and causing the crack on the plug. Grounding out to the cylinder head and back to the plug. I'm just waiting for the new coil and plugs to come in. Kia have seen this problem already.

SeoulStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi A6
From what I can tell after I remove the plug it look like yhe coil was bad and causing the crack on the plug. Grounding out to the cylinder head and back to the plug. I'm just waiting for the new coil and plugs to come in. Kia have seen this problem already.
What's the ETA on the new coil from Kia?

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
So, a consensus of 23 owners say if you don't chip the car you're fine. If you do chip the car you have a 50% chance of having issues.

I'd like to see this poll on the other forum to get a bigger sample size.

Reactions
State
NM
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger gt
I don't have an eta for the coil.