Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Who's experienced fouled spark plugs on their Kia Stinger?

Who's experienced fouled spark plugs on their Kia Stinger?

• Yes with a chip

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Yes without a chip

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • No with a chip

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • No without a chip

Votes: 22 57.9%

• Total voters
OP
StingerYYC
Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2011 Acura MDX
Thread Starter #21
For better clarity should have added separate entries between the 2.0L and 3.3L.
Opps. I completely forgot about the 2.0L since we don't get it here in Canada.

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
I've been following this thread but haven't voted yet since I only have 1200 miles on the car. My car is completely stock and so far they have all been problem free other than the initial hatch rattle which was fixed by the dealer.

Reactions
State
NM
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger gt
The part came in today. Replace both spark plug and coil. The vehicle drive perfect now with no misfire what's so ever.

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
Since some people are saying this is a known Stinger issue that Kia is tracking I decided to do a little research of my own.

I wanted to cover multiple regions so I called 2 dealers in the Mid-Atlantic area, 1 in the Northeast, 1 in the Southeast, 1 in the South, and 1 in the Midwest. I started this at around 9:15 so it was too early to call anyone further west. My results are below.

Fred Anderson Kia Raleigh (North Carolina)
919-785-4500
Ben: Personally hasn?t heard anything but I should call Consumer Affairs to be certain.
Chris Leith Kia (North Carolina)
888-482-6559
Dina: That?s probably just internet rumors because we haven?t heard of any issues with that.
Central Kia Norwood (Massachusetts)
781-762-8100
Brian: We haven?t had or heard of any issues at all with the Stingers.
Hollywood Kia (Florida)
954-967-5665
Vera: I haven?t seen any cases of that. Let me double check?(on hold for a couple of minutes)?no one has heard anything about that but you?re more than welcome to bring your car by and we can check it out for you.
Premier Kia of Kenner (Louisiana)
504-273-6659
Didn?t catch his name: We haven?t got any service bulletins on them and haven?t seen any issues yet.
Kia of Des Moines (Iowa)
515-270-0706
Rhonda: We haven?t seen any issues related to the Stinger but if something does happen Kia usually sends out letters to the owners to let them know of issues.

***I?ve provided names and numbers for the dealerships and service advisors so that anyone can verify the information I?ve compiled here. Also, for the most part what you see written beside their names are direct quotes. ***

I then called Kia Corporate to see if they had heard anything about the issue.

Originally I spoke to a lady named Ericka. She logged my inquiry and assigned me a case number (12662741). She told me the Stingers are handled by their "premium team" and then transferred me to Amber.

I explained to Amber that there had been some talk online of Kia tracking spark plug/coil pack issues with Stingers. Amber told me she hasn't heard anything about spark/coil issues. She checked in their system and said there are no notifications of any issues with the car's plugs/coil packs. She said there are no current recalls and none in the pipeline. She then checked my VIN to see if there are any issues related specifically to my car that need to be addressed, and said there are none.

There's my research. Accept it or not. I'm not pretending it was a scientific study conducted by Harvard University and funded by Elon Musk. It's just plain ole information (that I've given you names, locations, phone numbers, and case numbers for verification) from their mouth to your ears.

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
Another possible factor on just the plug fouling is fuel additives (i.e. brands and quality). They make a point of using "top tier" fuel, although you never really know where the fuel comes from or what's in it.

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT2 AWD
I know that someone on one of these forums insists they've not used the chip and have had spark plug issues. And I'm not trying to take anyone's side here.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
I have yet to have anyone have a plug issue with a stock car.

Trautwein

Reactions
City
Lavale
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Iia Stinger GT RWD
I have yet to have anyone have a plug issue with a stock car.
I have a 2019 Kia Stinger GT RWD that just went in for new plugs and coil packs. 39,000 miles - No Tune- Stock

spider55

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Coolidge
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 stinger GT1
Welcome to the forums....The stock plugs are cheap, you would be better off buying some HKS an gap them at 26...

Trautwein

Reactions
City
Lavale
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Iia Stinger GT RWD
Welcome to the forums....The stock plugs are cheap, you would be better off buying some HKS an gap them at 26...
The dealer at first tried to say bad gas was the probable issue causing 3 misfire codes. I informed them of the information I have received from the great communication forum and so they called Kia Tech Support. Within 15 minutes new plugs and coils are being sent to install. I will upgrade plugs if I have this issue again for sure. Thank You for the advice!