Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Who's experienced issues with the Lap 3 Uncle Chip?

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Singapore
UPDATE:

For those using the chip we have confirmed the upgraded plugs for the 3.3TT to be HKS M45iL, this should be the solution for customers using the chip with the 3.3TT.

Price is $180.00 shipped on (6) HKS M45iL plugs, anyone can email us Sales@K8StingerStore.com to place an order

Those using the 2.0T need to upgrade to the HKS M45XL

HKS M45XL Spark Plugs
Thanks for the update Paul! When sending in the Stinger for servicing, will there be any issue running the HKS plugs in a stock state without the Lap3 Chip?

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
Thanks for the update Paul! When sending in the Stinger for servicing, will there be any issue running the HKS plugs in a stock state without the Lap3 Chip?
Yes, these plugs you would ONLY want to run in a tuned/chipped state, not on a stock motor!

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Singapore
Yes, these plugs you would ONLY want to run in a tuned/chipped state, not on a stock motor!
So when taking off the chip, the HKS plugs also need to be taken out and stock NGKs back in?

Reactions
State
NM
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger gt
No. But some dealer will not warranty it if they can see the piggyback. To be on the safe side I would remove the chip for any warranty work to the vehicle.

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
So when taking off the chip, the HKS plugs also need to be taken out and stock NGKs back in?
Oh sorry, I thought you meant long term like a replacement for stock plugs without using the chip.

You can run these plugs short term, like if you needed to go to the dealership and needed to remove the chip. This would be perfectly fine

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Singapore
Oh sorry, I thought you meant long term like a replacement for stock plugs without using the chip.

You can run these plugs short term, like if you needed to go to the dealership and needed to remove the chip. This would be perfectly fine
No problem! Thanks for the clarification!

Reactions
State
NM
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger gt
Let just put it this way if it was in for a misfire concern and tech found out the plug was not the stock plug they would decline warranty work.

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
Let just put it this way if it was in for a misfire concern and tech found out the plug was not the stock plug they would decline warranty work.
The point of the upgrade plugs is to prevent misfiring. We?ve been using this combo of upgraded plugs with the chip on other Kia/Hyundai platforms without issue of warranty work if needed.

Reactions
State
NM
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger gt
My point is if it was in for a misfire code or other code related to the spark plugs or the coil. Us tech have to go though the procedure of diagnosing the cause of it and found out the plug was not original then it will become customer pay.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Singapore
For sure would remove plugs and the chip if sending in for anything related to misfiring or knock. This would be for regular servicing.

Reactions
State
NM
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT1
The point of the upgrade plugs is to prevent misfiring. We?ve been using this combo of upgraded plugs with the chip on other Kia/Hyundai platforms without issue of warranty work if needed.
I?m curious if anyone has been running the chip with these plugs. I appreciate that other plugs that spec out similar to these have been used for a while on other platforms (ie, optima) with the chip so I?m hoping this is the solution. However, I?m also concerned that LAP3 indicated the stock plugs were also ok. Bottom line: where?s the evidence for the Stinger?

Reactions
State
NM
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger gt
For sure would remove plugs and the chip if sending in for anything related to misfiring or knock. This would be for regular servicing.
If its in for regular service it should be ok unless the service department are really strict. Sometime they like to put notes in there system stating the vehicle had been modded any further warranty work will be voided.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Singapore
If its in for regular service it should be ok unless the service department are really strict. Sometime they like to put notes in there system stating the vehicle had been modded any further warranty work will be voided.
Would non stock plugs show up on diagnostics? Or would plug replacement be part of service intervals?

Reactions
State
NM
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger gt
No it will not. But fro service intervals plug are to be replace at 46k

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Kia Stinger GT2
I have the 2018 stinger gt2. I've been considering purchasing the LAP3 Uncle chip for a while, but after speaking with my trusted mechanic I have reservations regarding engine reliability and longevity. My trusted mechanic said it will reduce both. If anyone can provide their findings on using this chip for the last several months and how many miles have you put on your car, the same car would be best, and have you had any issues?

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Do a quick search for Burger motorsports JB4.

A lot of Stinger owners are using that chip without any problems. Granted it is a better product IMHO with outstanding customer support form the creator it self.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Kia Stinger GT2
Thanks robz32. I checked the thread and it hasn't been updated since April which doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies. I see a more conversations taking place regarding LAP3 and RaceChip. I will do further research on it as well. Key for me is performance, reliability, and no issues for 1000s of miles and haven't seen that with any chip yet, even though in reading forums I know folks have installed the chips several months ago. Waiting for the kinks to be worked out, and then I will jump aboard.

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
Thanks robz32. I checked the thread and it hasn't been updated since April which doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies. I see a more conversations taking place regarding LAP3 and RaceChip. I will do further research on it as well. Key for me is performance, reliability, and no issues for 1000s of miles and haven't seen that with any chip yet, even though in reading forums I know folks have installed the chips several months ago. Waiting for the kinks to be worked out, and then I will jump aboard.
At the end of the day all these Chips function in a very similar/same way. Some are more advanced than others, the Lap3 Chip is one of the basic plug and play chips we have been selling for coming on 4 years now.

If you're looking for something more advanced that takes in more parameters to deliver power better I would opt for the RaceChip Black GTS as this is one of the most comprehesive chips avaiable for the Stinger. We are an authorized dealer for RaceChip and will have them listed shortly on the website. In the meantime if you would like to order one or have any questions feel free to message me or email me directly at Paul@K8StingerStore.com

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2

Check here. They have their own Stinger dedicated thread, showing logs and different configurations of the chip. Along with install guides and much more information.

https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52020