Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Who's experienced issues with the Lap 3 Uncle Chip?

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Interesting. I did not know nor heard of members with issues with burned plugs on non-chipped 3.3TT.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
Hey guys. My appologies for lack of updates. Been a nightmare trying to get ecu edit done. We are hopefully close. We are waiting on release of our products once full tuning is available. Hoping to launch our kits with full ecu reflash. Just finalising it all. We have some software to now read tge Siemens ecu. Just hoping we can edit.

As for plugs mine had NGK from memory. No issues fowling? We did drop gap to .8mm to cope with increased boost. We thought the slight miss we encounterd was due to plug gap but its def a form of soft cut due to maxing out factory torque limits

Will keep you guys updated. Poor Stinger hasnt had any mods for a bit now :( lol

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT2 AWD
... maxing out factory torque limits? Wah? Looking forward to more info and dynos!

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT1 + Drive Wise
Any updates for the community?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT1
Hey guys, we've noted some customers foul plugs with the chip installed. We have also seen bare stock (no bolt-ons or chip) members foul plugs as well.

That being said we are looking into alternative plug options for those running the chip since both chipped and non-chipped customers have reported running into plug premature plug fouling. Not sure if the root is with the engine or the plugs or what but we are on top of it and will let the community know!
I'm new to the piggy back world as in the past I've always gone with a reflash tune. Can you elaborate how this piggy back works? Does it make any adjustments to the air/fuel ratio and how does it compensate for the engine running too rich or too lean?

Reactions
State
NM
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT1
Update. Took the car in and had the 5th cylinder plug replaced (NGK). The bad plug was FUBAR (crack visible at base of electrode). The misfire continued during the test run. Next step was to swap the coil from another car. When the tech went in the new plug was already cracked and shot. Looking more and more like a coil problem.

ATXStinger

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Update. Took the car in and had the 5th cylinder plug replaced (NGK). The bad plug was FUBAR (crack visible at base of electrode). The misfire continued during the test run. Next step was to swap the coil from another car. When the tech went in the new plug was already cracked and shot. Looking more and more like a coil problem.
[MENTION=402]Dark_Knight GT[/MENTION] sorry to hear man. Did the tech make any comments or raised any questions to see if you've added any mods to your car?

Also did you vote in this poll?
https://www.kiastinger.org/forum/th...enced-fouled-spark-plugs-on-their-Kia-Stinger

StingerMike

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
Thanks for the update. How many miles did you run the chip before you noticed the misfire?

Reactions
State
NV
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Kia Optima SX-T
I'm new to the piggy back world as in the past I've always gone with a reflash tune. Can you elaborate how this piggy back works? Does it make any adjustments to the air/fuel ratio and how does it compensate for the engine running too rich or too lean?
These cars run full time wideband O2 feedback and are set to run fairly rich stock. WOT with stock boost on my Optima 2.0T was in the mid 10's for AFR. These boxes plug into the MAP and TIP sensors and skew the voltage going back to the ECU, so it thinks less boost is being produced than there really is. The ECU then changes wastegate solenoid duty cycle to increase boost to hit its target. Additional airflow is compensated with in fueling by that WBO2 feedback loop.

Kazz

500 Posts Achieved
Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Micro Blue Stinger GT2 AWD
Could the chip be asking the coils to amp up the spark? I'm trying to figure out how the coil takes a hit. Of course, the plug may be going and that may kill the coil... all interesting.

Reactions
State
NM
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT1
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT1 + Drive Wise
Yes, my vote is in.

Regarding the tech/dealership. Let's just say they're being super cool about it.
Their being super cool as in they could tell there was a mod? If so how could they tell?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
No really sure why people always try to compare the stingers 3.3TT engine to the Optima's 2.0T engine tuning capabilities and behavior. I keep seeing it every time the subject of tuning the 3.3TT comes up.

They are in now way shape or form similar to one another. Therefore the fact that the 2.0T on the optima runs rich from the factory doesn't necessarily mean that the 3.3TT is tuned the same way. For starters the 3.3 has two more piston, two turbos, hence different heads, larger pistons, I'm sure bigger injectors too, and more piping. All those variables affect how the engine is tuned and its performance.

Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
Wait what happened to [MENTION=565]Hungtran505[/MENTION]'s post? I thought I saw it earlier this evening about Kia being aware to the problem.[paranoid]

Reactions
State
NM
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger gt
Don't know what happen to the post. All I can say is when you bring it in to the dealership for the concern take the chip off so they don't know it was chip. Any further question pm me private.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
Yes, my vote is in.

Regarding the tech/dealership. Let's just say they're being super cool about it.
So the dealer knew you had a chip and they were ok about it?

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
Don't know what happen to the post. All I can say is when you bring it in to the dealership for the concern take the chip off so they don't know it was chip. Any further question pm me private.
I take it the dealer is unable to tell from an engine diagnostic that the car produced more boost pressure once the chip has been removed?

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
UPDATE:

For those using the chip we have confirmed the upgraded plugs for the 3.3TT to be HKS M45iL, this should be the solution for customers using the chip with the 3.3TT.

Price is $180.00 shipped on (6) HKS M45iL plugs, anyone can email us Sales@K8StingerStore.com to place an order

Those using the 2.0T need to upgrade to the HKS M45XL

HKS M45XL Spark Plugs