Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Engine Speed

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger
While driving on an expressway at 75 mph in Sport Mode I noticed that the engine (2.0T) was running at ~3,000 rpm. I changed driving modes to Comfort Mode and the engine now started running at 2,200 rpm. WTF is this all about? Is there a problem with my car as this makes no sense.

Reactions
State
OH
Country
United States
Both ECO and Comfort mode will shift sooner for a smoother and more fuel efficient drive.

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
I don't have my Stinger yet, but guessing from the "learning" ability of the system, and a rumor I recall from another post (how's that for guessing....but I digress....) it may be that your driving style is for frequent throttle romps and the transmission is only remaining in lower gears in anticipation. The rumor to which I refer said something about Sport mode running in 6th gear on the highway which might be sporty but it sure isn't economical. It's only a twist of the dial away to get out of or into Sport.

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
While driving on an expressway at 75 mph in Sport Mode I noticed that the engine (2.0T) was running at ~3,000 rpm. I changed driving modes to Comfort Mode and the engine now started running at 2,200 rpm. WTF is this all about? Is there a problem with my car as this makes no sense.
Aside from the smoother shift changes, wouldn't dropping rpm in eco and comfort save gas with less rpms. I know when my 2.0 is in sport it rev hangs but does what you described when in comfort and especially eco. Don't think it's a problem at all, just setting the tranny up for a smoother and more efficient drive.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
It is a feature not a problem. When you are in sport mode the transmission will shift later is the RPM range in order to have the torque and power available right away. When you change it to ECO or Comfort the transmission will shift sooner.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT1 + Drive Wise
thats how it is supposed to work... sport mode =more horsepower on demand... comfort mode=quicker shift which leaves you in a higher gear at 75.

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
In sport mode, your car WON'T shift into 8th gear. That's why your revs are so high cruising in sport mode on the highway.

OP
T
Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger
Thread Starter #8
OK, I now understand that SPORT Mode is designed to give you more power but it seems really, really stupid that once you have gotten to speed and engaged the SCC that the car would not go into 8th gear. The outcome of this is to use SPORT mode to get to your desired speed and then change to ECO when you are driving down the highway at your desired speed. Most interstate (2-lane divided highway) driving does not require extra power when passing out here where there is little traffic to contend with.

Reactions
State
GA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT2 AWD Aurora Black
OK, I now understand that SPORT Mode is designed to give you more power but it seems really, really stupid that once you have gotten to speed and engaged the SCC that the car would not go into 8th gear. The outcome of this is to use SPORT mode to get to your desired speed and then change to ECO when you are driving down the highway at your desired speed. Most interstate (2-lane divided highway) driving does not require extra power when passing out here where there is little traffic to contend with.
The car drives as the mode you put it in. In sport, each gear has a wider RPM range to give you more responsiveness without the need for downshifting, so it makes 100% complete sense if won't upshift if you don't reach the right speed.

The actual outcome is to use Sport when you're driving yourself then switch it back to Comfort mode when you have SCC enabled. SCC will drive you as carefully as if you were in ECO, it'll only use whatever power is required to maintain your speed.

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
OR.... you could adjust your CUSTOM settings and set the transmission to eco and leave the rest in sport. That will give you everything that you desire!

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
Sport mode won't give you more power. You get 365hp regardless of the setting. The different modes WILL however change the damping of the shocks and the tuning on the transmission. In eco and probably comfort mode, the transmission will switch to a higher gear earlier to keep the revs as low as possible (in addition to shifting to 8th gear) for fuel savings. In sport mode, the shocks firm up, the steering wheel gets stiffer and the transmission will downshift easier, hold on to selected gears through turns and will keep the engine revs higher to access power in the higher rev range as well as staying out of 8th gear so there's more engine responsiveness. The car always has 365hp AVAILABLE but when you keep the revs up on the engine, you're closer to getting all 365hp. If the engine is at 2000 rpm, you may be getting 200hp (you have to look at a horsepower/torque chart to see how much power is available at what rpm. To the best of my knowledge (and I may be wrong) sport mode does nothing to the engine directly, it just changes the transmission shift points and the suspension and steering. I hope this helps:)

Zylan

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
Don't you guys have the 'Smart' mode? That automatically goes between Eco, Comfort & Sport?

Or alternatively just tap the paddle to downshift before overtaking?