Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Are you rich

Reactions
State
UT
Country
United States
What I Drive
stinger GT2
has anyone been questioned about your stinger and alot of the questions are about how rich you must been or I need a job like yours. It makes me feel uncomfortable. I don't mind talking about the Stinger, it when It gets personal.

Reactions
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Pontiac GTO
I don't think that question has been asked, only assumed. My case is a bit different and here's how I can pay cash for a car (or play the lease game.)
I was drafted in the Viet Nam war -- pulled out of graduate school, lost my research -- and spent two years playing in the jungle. My father told me that if I came home safe, he would buy me a new car. I did and he did -- a '70 Plymouth GTX. But there was a string (maybe a rope) attached. I had to immediately begin paying "car payments" to myself by making deposits and ultimately investments. When the next car was due, I used that "car money" to buy the next one. I've done that for many years, and I still do it. I'm certainly not rich, but I was highly disciplined with my money and it has paid dividends over the years. I never borrow money to buy a car unless the financing is below what I can reasonably expect to earn. My '05 GTO was financed at 0.0% interest, so obviously I took that deal and continued making my car "payments" to myself. You have a lot more leverage if you can threaten to pay cash.

Reactions
State
OH
Country
United States
Haven't been asked that yet, but I've had random people come up to me at the gas station asking about the car.

OP
B
Reactions
State
UT
Country
United States
What I Drive
stinger GT2
Thread Starter #4
I should have mentioned that I live in a small town of 900 people.

Reactions
State
GA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Stinger GT2 AWD Aurora Black
I get that question, but my response is typically "just take out a loan" or "that's what credit cards are for."

Reactions
State
OR
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 Mazda6 Touring ? Soul Red
This seems an odd question. I mean, I thought people generally understood that a LOT of broke, massively in debt people drive fancy cars... I can drive through some pretty poor-ish hoods and there are BMW's and Mercedes in the driveways. Some in apartments also drive nice cars. It doesn't matter how much money you make, it's what people value and how much debt they can accrue... Not that these are noble things mind you, but a lot of people seem to really care what people - people they don't even know mind you - think of them when at a stop light. Insecurity anyone?...

Reactions
State
NJ
Country
United States
For me it's been more of "You spent how much on a Kia??" lol

MurlinatoR

1000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Lot's of Kia's
And your reply is "Let me show you... [Launch Control Ready]"

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Reactions
State
OR
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 Mazda6 Touring ? Soul Red
[MENTION=536]StingerGT68[/MENTION], and isn't that how powerful branding can be. And therein is the question's perspective and perception.

There IS a reason companies spent up to $5.5 million for a Super Bowl ad - it works! Kia's was 60 seconds, so somewhere in that $10m+ range. Kia also has high-end malls with small storefronts next to Apple, Victoria Secrets, etc... with just the Stinger. Just a Stinger store front!

Hyundai learned a LOT about brand and how important it is to make a separate luxury division with it's own label. It's already helping Genesis vehicles in a big way, and soon their own dealerships I believe. That's big, really big, because brand makes a huge influence on people.

Kia? Not sure what they are going to do. My best guess is they watch Genesis and see how successful it is in the next two-years. If it blooms, Kia will follow suit, but it will be tricky. Kia/Hyundai are akin to Chevy/Pontiac. One is mainstream, while the other is the sporty version...

Genesis vehicles and their Kia brethren (K900, Cadenza), are not designed for sport, but luxury. And one cannot be a pretender in the luxury market space in what one is. The Stinger flows well into the low-end luxury realm, with a heck of a lot of sport behind it. That's Kia's luxury brand (not the K900 or Cadenza)... Since Kia's high-end are all shared platforms, this is going to be tricky, because any chassis beyond the G70 (Stinger and G70 Genesis) are not designed for the performance direction...

Would Hyundai/Kia ever sign off on more Kia only high-end performance/luxury vehicles? Not likely. Not enough volume to justify and keep pricing down.

Sorry to digress, but it begs the question of what Kia does? The other cost saving move, is just kill off the K900 and Cadenza and leave the Stinger as the flagship vehicle of the brand. Probably the best move overall. It'll increase Stinger sales a bit, an solidify Kia as sport.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Would Hyundai/Kia ever sign off on more Kia only high-end performance/luxury vehicles? Not likely. Not enough volume to justify and keep pricing down.

Sorry to digress, but it begs the question of what Kia does? The other cost saving move, is just kill off the K900 and Cadenza and leave the Stinger as the flagship vehicle of the brand. Probably the best move overall. It'll increase Stinger sales a bit, an solidify Kia as sport.
Agree with you. Hyundai should leave Kia as the performance/somewhat luxury (kind of like a Nismo division for Nissan or the AMG for Mercedes) line for their vehicles. Maybe call it Ksport. The Genesis subdivision can be its own high end luxury brand.

Stingin' Away

500 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Dayton
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Stinger GT
[MENTION=536]StingerGT68[/MENTION], and isn't that how powerful branding can be. And therein is the question's perspective and perception.

There IS a reason companies spent up to $5.5 million for a Super Bowl ad - it works! Kia's was 60 seconds, so somewhere in that $10m+ range. Kia also has high-end malls with small storefronts next to Apple, Victoria Secrets, etc... with just the Stinger. Just a Stinger store front!

Hyundai learned a LOT about brand and how important it is to make a separate luxury division with it's own label. It's already helping Genesis vehicles in a big way, and soon their own dealerships I believe. That's big, really big, because brand makes a huge influence on people.

Kia? Not sure what they are going to do. My best guess is they watch Genesis and see how successful it is in the next two-years. If it blooms, Kia will follow suit, but it will be tricky. Kia/Hyundai are akin to Chevy/Pontiac. One is mainstream, while the other is the sporty version...

Genesis vehicles and their Kia brethren (K900, Cadenza), are not designed for sport, but luxury. And one cannot be a pretender in the luxury market space in what one is. The Stinger flows well into the low-end luxury realm, with a heck of a lot of sport behind it. That's Kia's luxury brand (not the K900 or Cadenza)... Since Kia's high-end are all shared platforms, this is going to be tricky, because any chassis beyond the G70 (Stinger and G70 Genesis) are not designed for the performance direction...

Good points. Hyundai is launched the N division with the first car being the Veloster. This will take time to catch on but they may spread this throughout the company meaning KIA. I do not see Hyundai Motor Company (HMC) making a seperate brand just for performance reasons. A separate trim level or division like AMG with Mercedes or M division with BMW.

The N division is HMC's trial run with divisions. Depending on the success of this, KIA will follow and they have plenty of platforms to do it on: Stinger, Sportage, Rio, Accent. H*ll, even the Sorento could see some sport-tuned suspension and a tune. BTW, no CUV/SUV is prettier than the Stelvio.

Genesis is going to skyrocket in sales. Why? It's simply cheaper and better optioned than BMW and Mercedes. They could not have made a better decision splitting the brands. I technically have a "Hyundai" Genesis. It's a 2015 model but was sold in Korea as a Genesis model. A week after I bought it, I debadged the flying H emblem on the trunk lid and replaced it with the Genesis badge. So yes, brands actually matter in people's lives. I'm proud my car is a Hyundai product, the car is fantastic. I got it at a fraction of the price of a BMW/Merc/Audi with similar options. And, not to mention, it simply looks better. Genesis paved the way for future luxury. After the baby-boomers and Gen X individuals are gone, top luxury brands will need some help. (Nothing wrong with you all, I like everyone equally lol)