Welcome to the #1 KIA Stinger Forum and KIA Stinger community dedicated to KIA Stinger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Stinger Forum today!

Kia Stinger LAP3 Review for 2.0

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 Kia Optima SX, 1972 911 Targa
Here is the email thread from March:

On Dec 15, 2017, at 11:20 AM, K5 Optima Store <sales@k5optimastore.com> wrote:

Hi Scott,

The singer does not require upgraded spark plugs as the spark plugs from the factory are built strong enough to handle the tune. Only other models of Kia and Hyundai require the usage of the upgraded spark plugs to run the tune.

Thanks,

David
On Dec 15, 2017 10:50 AM, "Scott Brown" <sbrown.nw@hotmail.com> wrote:
Hello,

I am considering an 2 liter Stinger AWD model to replace my 2012 Optima turbo SX. I hope the 2 liter performs well enough with the AWD on the Stinger, but if not, I am considering your LAP3 uncle chip. Do I have to put in the racing spark plugs when I use this chip? If not, what are the pros and cons going with only the chip and not the plugs?

Thanks,

Scott

Not sure who to trust now...

That was never a recommendation when using the Lap3 Chip. David is the owner of the company and I know wouldnt recommend that to anyone

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
And it seems a few 2.0T Stinger owners in this thread did the LAP3 uncle chip install without upgrading plugs in this thread.

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
Here is the email thread from March:

On Dec 15, 2017, at 11:20 AM, K5 Optima Store <sales@k5optimastore.com> wrote:

Hi Scott,

The singer does not require upgraded spark plugs as the spark plugs from the factory are built strong enough to handle the tune. Only other models of Kia and Hyundai require the usage of the upgraded spark plugs to run the tune.

Thanks,

David
On Dec 15, 2017 10:50 AM, "Scott Brown" <sbrown.nw@hotmail.com> wrote:
Hello,

I am considering an 2 liter Stinger AWD model to replace my 2012 Optima turbo SX. I hope the 2 liter performs well enough with the AWD on the Stinger, but if not, I am considering your LAP3 uncle chip. Do I have to put in the racing spark plugs when I use this chip? If not, what are the pros and cons going with only the chip and not the plugs?

Thanks,

Scott

Not sure who to trust now...
Seeing the date on the email as December of last year and this all has since been corrected and made known to the public that plugs are required with Lap3. I apologize if you did not recieve the updated information but we've clearly listed it on both of our websites and on the forums. This information has been current for months (since the beginning of the year). Nothing of an issue of trust you're just showing old information to the forums

Reactions
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Are you planning any sales for the LAP3 Uncle Chip or plugs? Or possibly special bundle pricing on the chip and recommended plugs?

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
Are you planning any sales for the LAP3 Uncle Chip or plugs? Or possibly special bundle pricing on the chip and recommended plugs?
Yes! We have our annual 4th of July Sale coming up in a few weeks!

Stay tuned! ;)

bb123

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 KIA Stinger 2.0 Premium
Haven't seen any special lately, are you guys planning any?

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Kia K900 V8
Haven't seen any special lately, are you guys planning any?
Shoot us over an email to Sales@K8StingerStore.com & we can get you taken care of with a discount. Especially if you are ordering the tune with the spark plugs and catch can as well.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Kia Stinger GT2
I have the 2018 stinger gt2. I've been considering purchasing the LAP3 Uncle chip for a while, but after speaking with my trusted mechanic I have reservations regarding engine reliability and longevity. My trusted mechanic said it will reduce both. If anyone can provide their findings on using this chip for the last several months and how many miles have you put on your car, the same car would be best, and have you had any issues?

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Kia K900 V8
I have the 2018 stinger gt2. I've been considering purchasing the LAP3 Uncle chip for a while, but after speaking with my trusted mechanic I have reservations regarding engine reliability and longevity. My trusted mechanic said it will reduce both. If anyone can provide their findings on using this chip for the last several months and how many miles have you put on your car, the same car would be best, and have you had any issues?
I got your email and will be responding there as well, but this is just not the case.

This product is not a new product, and it has been around for over 5 years now.

The Stinger is new, so many are just learning about the product.

However, you can see that we have 140 5-Star reviews on this product on our parent company site below.

These are verified buyers who have bought the product and left a review on it:

LAP3 Uncle Chip Performance Tune - K5 Optima Store

We have sold over 1,000 units to all different models of Kia & Hyundai vehicles, and around 75 units to Stinger owners.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Kia Stinger GT2
Thanks David for sharing this info. Feedback from existing users will be key to my decision.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Kia K900 V8
Thanks David for sharing this info. Feedback from existing users will be key to my decision.
You're very welcome, and awesome, because in that case, you can read feedback from existing users by cliking the link above in my previous post, and checking out some of the 140 reviews from verified buyers of the product.

There are several reviews from Kia Stinger owners there, and on our K8 Stinger Store site. Here are a few of them below:

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Kia Stinger GT2
Has anyone installed an oil catch can? The K5 Optima store recommends it for the uncle lap3 chip, however I don?t see this recommendation on the RafeChip website.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Kia K900 V8
Has anyone installed an oil catch can? The K5 Optima store recommends it for the uncle lap3 chip, however I don't see this recommendation on the RafeChip website.
Has anyone? We have sold dozens & dozens of catch cans to Stinger Owners over the past 6 months since our new site went live. We are also a reseller for RaceChip as well and will be adding their tuning product to our website shortly.

However, whether or not a website recommends an oil catch can or not has nothing to do with whether or not it?s beneficial for your vehicle. For starters, I would research and fully understand what an oil catch can is and why it?s beneficial for any direct injection vehicle, especially a turbo direct injection vehicle like the Kia Stinger. Once you fully understand what the purpose of an oil catch can is and why it?s beneficial to your vehicle, you?ll see why having one after installing a tune is even more important to protect the life of your vehicle and prolong carbon buildup on your intake valves.

RaceChip didn?t originally recommend changing out your spark plugs when utilizing their tune either. However, after speaking with Tim the North American director of RaceChip, he decided to have them update the website to now show that they recommend upgrading your spark plugs as well. RaceChip is newer to the community with Kia and Hyundai, however, we have been working with Kia and Hyundai vehicles since 2012 with the K5 Optima Store company we run.

If you have any specific questions on which catch can to go with, please feel free to reach out and ask anytime, as we are more than happy to help. We should be releasing vehicle specific catch can brackets with hoses and everything today, tomorrow or sometime this weekend to the website.

robz32

2000 Posts Achieved
Staff Member
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
Stinger GT2
Has anyone installed an oil catch can? The K5 Optima store recommends it for the uncle lap3 chip, however I don?t see this recommendation on the RafeChip website.
Yes, lots of members have installed catch cans on their cars. Do a search for catch cans on this site and will find the info you need.

Has anyone? We have sold dozens & dozens of catch cans to Stinger Owners over the past 6 months since our new site went live. We are also a reseller for RaceChip as well and will be adding their tuning product to our website shortly.

However, whether or not a website recommends an oil catch can or not has nothing to do with whether or not it?s beneficial for your vehicle. For starters, I would research and fully understand what an oil catch can is and why it?s beneficial for any direct injection vehicle, especially a turbo direct injection vehicle like the Kia Stinger. Once you fully understand what the purpose of an oil catch can is and why it?s beneficial to your vehicle, you?ll see why having one after installing a tune is even more important to protect the life of your vehicle and prolong carbon buildup on your intake valves.

RaceChip didn?t originally recommend changing out your spark plugs when utilizing their tune either. However, after speaking with Tim the North American director of RaceChip, he decided to have them update the website to now show that they recommend upgrading your spark plugs as well. RaceChip is newer to the community with Kia and Hyundai, however, we have been working with Kia and Hyundai vehicles since 2012 with the K5 Optima Store company we run.

If you have any specific questions on which catch can to go with, please feel free to reach out and ask anytime, as we are more than happy to help. We should be releasing vehicle specific catch can brackets with hoses and everything today, tomorrow or sometime this weekend to the website.
It will be beneficial regardless if the car is tuned/chipped or not.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Kia K900 V8
It will be beneficial regardless if the car is tuned/chipped or not.
Yup I agree 100%, which is why I had said:

?Once you fully understand what the purpose of an oil catch can is and why it's beneficial to your vehicle, you'll see why having one after installing a tune is even more important to protect the life of your vehicle and prolong carbon buildup on your intake valves.?

However, yes, any vehicle will benefit from having an oil catch can, especially a gasoline direct injection vehicle, or GDI/T-GDI.